• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anybody know if I can test to see if these speakers are OK?

dmpoole

Established Member
These are the top cabs in our PA rig and last weekend after 10 years of constant gigging we had major problems.
The sound became muffled and I had to try and compensate by adding more treble and high mid but it was as though a compression was taking over and at very loud volumes (2000 watt rig virtually on full) the sound was lacking.
Originally we thought it was the amp breaking down but now we believe it could be the horn or smaller speaker that may be damaged.
Anybody know how I could find out?
I'm pretty good with a screwdriver and soldering iron.

torque.jpg

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
Connect 'em up and have a listen. Take 'em out and check for open or short circuit.

dmpoole

Established Member
Took the speaker back off and I unsoldered the two main speakers and music was coming through the horn.
Put the speakers back on and the horn isn't working.
I bought a £5 horn and exactly the same thing happened, works when the other speakers are unsoldered - doesn't work when the speakers are soldered on.
Soldered the cheap horn straight onto the big speaker and I had full sound.
After all this it looks like the crossovers are borked.
I took them into a shop today to be tested.

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom