Anybody jump from a Sony 55” X850D to a Sony 77” A80J?

Metalane

I currently have a 55” X850D, but I’ve been looking to upgrade to the 77” A80J once the price lowers. Now, I’ve heard amazing things about the A80J, but does anyone who owned both of these models mind telling me if the upgrade is worth it (price isn’t a factor for me)?

I would assume it is has to be quite a significant leap considering the X850D is only LED, no VRR, and has the sh*ttiest HDR.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I currently have a 55” X850D, but I’ve been looking to upgrade to the 77” A80J once the price lowers. Now, I’ve heard amazing things about the A80J, but does anyone who owned both of these models mind telling me if the upgrade is worth it (price isn’t a factor for me)?

I would assume it is has to be quite a significant leap considering the X850D is only LED, no VRR, and has the sh*ttiest HDR.
The move from lcd to oled is always incredible. On top of it, you going two sizes up!!!!
Just make sure you have a good price for oled and you enjoy

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Now…the a80j is an incredible tv and superb value for money at 77
Since you said money is no object, keep in mind that Sony is releasing a mini led soon which seems very promising. Worth having a look before you pull the trigger
Qd oled also on the menu but only up to 65 this year.
But there is no denying the a80j is a special tv.

Metalane

Now…the a80j is an incredible tv and superb value for money at 77
Since you said money is no object, keep in mind that Sony is releasing a mini led soon which seems very promising. Worth having a look before you pull the trigger
Qd oled also on the menu but only up to 65 this year.
But there is no denying the a80j is a special tv.
I have seen their 2022 lineup, and it is luring, but since I’m committed to the 70 inch range, a QD-OLED in that size either doesn’t even exist yet, or is tremendously expensive. So a to-of-the-line OLED will suffice for me, especially since I’ve been used to an LED SDR model with sh*tty contrast for the past 6 years haha. I’m so thrilled, not only for the huge size increase, but finally moving to the best display tech.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I have seen their 2022 lineup, and it is luring, but since I’m committed to the 70 inch range, a QD-OLED in that size either doesn’t even exist yet, or is tremendously expensive. So a to-of-the-line OLED will suffice for me, especially since I’ve been used to an LED SDR model with sh*tty contrast for the past 6 years haha. I’m so thrilled, not only for the huge size increase, but finally moving to the best display tech.
77 is the dream
Mini led from Sony is worth considering if you can wait…
But the a80j will probably win based on price…
Keen to explain why I am saying this: if qd oled didn’t exist, my next jump from pana 55 Oled will be the 65 mini led master drive from Sony…love my Oled but i can see some limitations. Qd oled may have sorted them and changed my plan..will see

Last edited:

Metalane

77 is the dream
Keen to explain why I am saying this: if qd oled didn’t exist, my next jump from pana 55 Oled will be the 65 mini led master drive from Sony…love my Oled but i can see some limitations. Qd oled may have sorted them and changed my plan..will see
Yeah, absolutely. We gotta before this tech matures, and in a few years it’ll likely be down to more reasonable prices. Like how in the mid-2000’s 720p panels cost like $10,000 haha. And yeah, the most I’ve ever spent on a TV is my current X850D for $900 BF sale. If I can snag a deal for the A80J sub-$2,500, I’ll grab it. Luckily we’re pretty close as there’s some sales going on within the past few weeks.

Metalane

You will not be dissapointed with the A80J. It's a tremendous TV
Yep, I’ve heard so many good things about it. The only reason I made this thread is because since I don’t really have a reference point, I hoping that my current X850D wasn’t too advanced already for me to notice much of a leap. I’d say the color performance on mine is still pretty good, but that’s a pretty useless statement since I don’t have the A80J side by side.

There are still so many moments where I get wowed on the X850D, specifically when playing graphically intensive games, that I can’t even imagine the experience with modern display tech.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Yep, I’ve heard so many good things about it. The only reason I made this thread is because since I don’t really have a reference point, I hoping that my current X850D wasn’t too advanced already for me to notice much of a leap. I’d say the color performance on mine is still pretty good, but that’s a pretty useless statement since I don’t have the A80J side by side.

There are still so many moments where I get wowed on the X850D, specifically when playing graphically intensive games, that I can’t even imagine the experience with modern display tech.
C8568431-5027-4B3C-ADBB-14CEB43E312B.gif
You will look like this :)

Metalane

77 is the dream
Also, I meant to ask yesterday, what exactly do you mean by “limitations“? Such as image retention and burn on, or how it performs in colors, contrast, etc?

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Also, I meant to ask yesterday, what exactly do you mean by “limitations“? Such as image retention and burn on, or how it performs in colors, contrast, etc?
Good point. By limitations I mean the following:
  • hdr and washed out colors at top brightness. I can really see it and have a special hdr mode at 60 instead or 100
  • better color saturation and volume thanks to the high brightness. Spectacular picture when master drive magic happens
  • burn in worry will be gone if I go mini led
  • finally recent panels may be able to hit 1500 nits easily which means tone mapping not needed for most content. That’s the graal.
  • gaming: I game less because I am worried for the Oled panel…fact.

Like I said, if qd oled didn’t appear, the Sony mini led would seriously tempt me (and may still do even if qd oled seems amazing and worth a look).
If the a80j and Sony mini led were same price…I will have a hard time to choose between the two.

Need to see them both in action

Metalane

Good point. By limitations I mean the following:
  • hdr and washed out colors at top brightness. I can really see it and have a special hdr mode at 60 instead or 100
  • better color saturation and volume thanks to the high brightness. Spectacular picture when master drive magic happens
  • burn in worry will be gone if I go mini led
  • finally recent panels may be able to hit 1500 nits easily which means tone mapping not needed for most content. That’s the graal.
  • gaming: I game less because I am worried for the Oled panel…fact.

Like I said, if qd oled didn’t appear, the Sony mini led would seriously tempt me (and may still do even if qd oled seems amazing and worth a look).
If the a80j and Sony mini led were same price…I will have a hard time to choose between the two.

Need to see them both in action
Yeah, brightness seems to be the big issue for many OLED users. Luckily, I would put mine in a darker room anyways. So I guess I would miss out on some highlights by not getting the brightest OLED, such as the A90J, but the A80J will likely suffice. Especially as the 77" has an Evo panel, which I hear brings it even closer to the A90J. The colors pop so much already on my outdated LED already, so I think I'll be easy to impress haha.

josefK666

None of the standard issues of brightness and image retention/burn in have been a concern for me with my A80J in a standard living room - windows behind and to one side. For SDR I still normally have Brightness turned down and Peak Luminance on medium much of the time. 2020-2021 OLEDs have a lot of tech built in now to mitigate against burn in and I happily game for 8 hour stretches at the weekend without thinking twice.

I made a two step size jump from a fairly decent 2016 Samsung LCD and this is another level I have to say. My girlfriend is sick to death of me saying 'wow' during movies. Sometimes I stand up and point.

It's been faultless for me OOTB since I've bought it. It got the VRR update back in Feb/March which pleased gamers. Even the much derided in-built Bravia Core app is starting to pick-up - the latest free Spiderman movie at 80mbps in full IMAX and DTS:IMAX was pretty impressive........

My only real complaint is that it kinda forced me to go out and spend £4K on a KEF 5.1 surround sound set-up. I'll just have to live with that I guess.......

Metalane

None of the standard issues of brightness and image retention/burn in have been a concern for me with my A80J in a standard living room - windows behind and to one side. For SDR I still normally have Brightness turned down and Peak Luminance on medium much of the time. 2020-2021 OLEDs have a lot of tech built in now to mitigate against burn in and I happily game for 8 hour stretches at the weekend without thinking twice.

I made a two step size jump from a fairly decent 2016 Samsung LCD and this is another level I have to say. My girlfriend is sick to death of me saying 'wow' during movies. Sometimes I stand up and point.

It's been faultless for me OOTB since I've bought it. It got the VRR update back in Feb/March which pleased gamers. Even the much derided in-built Bravia Core app is starting to pick-up - the latest free Spiderman movie at 80mbps in full IMAX and DTS:IMAX was pretty impressive........

My only real complaint is that it kinda forced me to go out and spend £4K on a KEF 5.1 surround sound set-up. I'll just have to live with that I guess.......
Yeah, I think I’m worrying about nothing. My concerns will likely immediately melt away the minute I turn it on lol. And I’m glad you brought up the TV you upgraded from. When I first decided I was gonna upgrade, I wasn’t sure that that the tech had advanced enough from my low-mid end 2016 model to justify another purchase. But then of course I remembered that mine is only LED, so OLED (and HDR) is the modern tech I’m missing. And besides some slight contrast issues, I didn’t think TV’s could get better than mine haha. Maybe I’m just really easy to impress, because people say how sh*tty the X850D is.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Yeah, brightness seems to be the big issue for many OLED users. Luckily, I would put mine in a darker room anyways. So I guess I would miss out on some highlights by not getting the brightest OLED, such as the A90J, but the A80J will likely suffice. Especially as the 77" has an Evo panel, which I hear brings it even closer to the A90J. The colors pop so much already on my outdated LED already, so I think I'll be easy to impress haha.
Brightness was never an issue with MY Oled. That’s a false point altogether
It is how the white pixel impact colors at high brightness the issue…mainly in hdr.
So you will enjoy an incredible picture with a80j guaranteed.

Last edited:

josefK666

Whilst I actually agree with you it's not really a 'false point altogether' if some people are complaining about it! :) Some tend to watch in brighter rooms and feel that the A80J SDR brightness isn't enough for them - some think the ABL/ASBL is over aggressive and others feel the HDR rendering at high brightness levels is less than optimal.

Personally I agree with you in that it's never been an issue for me either - just passing on info and the OP can make of it what they wish. If anything my post was meant to downplay those supposed 'issues'.....

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Whilst I actually agree with you it's not really a 'false point altogether' if some people are complaining about it! :) Some tend to watch in brighter rooms and feel that the A80J SDR brightness isn't enough for them - some think the ABL/ASBL is over aggressive and others feel the HDR rendering at high brightness levels is less than optimal.

Personally I agree with you in that it's never been an issue for me either - just passing on info and the OP can make of it what they wish. If anything my post was meant to downplay those supposed 'issues'.....
Yep…I corrected my post by adding MY Oled :)

Metalane

The A95K sounds really promising based on reviews I’ve read, but only comes in 55” and 65” variants, damn. Too expensive as well. For the 77” bracket though, the A80J is still seemingly the king.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
The A95K sounds really promising based on reviews I’ve read, but only comes in 55” and 65” variants, damn. Too expensive as well. For the 77” bracket though, the A80J is still seemingly the king.
I will have a look at the mini led too just to be sure…price is surprisingly good for a master drive panel…
I will not discount it even against the a80j

Elway9999

Novice Member
I think for the price, the A80J is the best. I'm waiting for a 77" qd oled next year. Ive seen the s95b and I'm sold! If I were to get a 75"+ TV this year, it would be between the G2 and QN90B, but I don't want to invest in a TV I know I'll want to replace next year.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV