1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody here using Tiscali ADSL & an internal modem?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by NinjaMonkeyUK, Jul 22, 2005.

1. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Right now I am using F1 Internet for my broadband connection, but I want to move to Tiscali for various reasons - it's cheaper for the same connection speed and provides me with 100MB Web space which I don't have any of at the moment, and it provides e-mail addresses & better service than the non-existant service I get now.

The Web space is the most important thing to me - as some of you will know, I used to run www.asianfilmreviews.tk but it has been out of action for many months now due to the fact I have no Web space since it stopped working with my current provider and they have done nothing to resolve the issue.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have a built-in ADSL modem (Connexant AccessRunner DSL) in my computer, and I don't want to remove it and install the free external USB modem that Tiscali provide. This is partly for lack of space reasons and partly because a PCI modem takes less system resources than a USB one, which also ties up another USB port on the back of my PC, which I don't want.

I am wondering if any of you have any experience with using Tiscali broadband without using their own USB modem - do they give you all the necessary information to setup your own software & modem, or do they only provide a setup CD for their modem?

I need to know the following information:

Line Setup - Modulation, Wiring Selection
    Protocol Setup - VPI, VCI, Encapsulation Mode, Max Send & Receive Packet Lengths, PCR

Has anyone had any experience trying to find out this information from Tiscali themselves? I am thinking of writing them an e-mail before I sign up as I don't want to be stuck with using their external modem.

I just thought I'd ask on here and a few other forums first...

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I don't have much experience with internal modems, but I reckon they should work just like an external one? You dump the free modem you get from Tiscali at sign-up and use your own. If you don't want to run a setup disk, just add your new username and password to your p.c. Call their Tech Support if it goes wrong.

I know you don't have much space, but I recommend you use an external router with firewall to get the best protection from the web. :lesson:

3. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks for your quick reply. I was thinking the same thing - maybe its like dialup whereby you provide a phone number (which I've found out for Tiscali is 0,38) and a username and password.

To be honest, I do want to have a router and external firewall, but at the moment I don't have the money for it. I keep my PC pretty secure at the moment - it is always up-to-date, and online security tests show my PC is invisible to the Internet, so I am safe enough for now.

Later I will be getting a router so that I can run my XBox on Live but that is not feasible at the moment since my PCs are downstairs (cross-patch LAN connection) and my XBox is upstairs...

Thanks for your help!