Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anybody here using a silver screen ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Nightfly, Jan 1, 2005.

1. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've recently been comparing my projector (NEC HT1100) with a 42" Panasonic plasma (42PW7B) and I'm afraid my projector is taking a bit of a bashing. In the 12 months I've had the projector my faith in its abilility to produce a stunning image has been unwavering but following some back-to-back comparisons with the plasma, the projector image now looks 'broken' and I'm finding difficulty in adjusting back to it.

I love the size of image that can be achieved with the projector and it does, in its way, look more 'cinematic' but the plasma just does the clarity thing so much better and has a more solid, tangible image. To compensate, I've been playing around with image size on the projector and can bring back some of the plasma benefits by reducing the screen size. I'm finding a viewing distance to screen width ratio of about 2:1 a good compromise. However it's still not quite there and I want the best of both worlds - big image but bright solid and punchy with it and with the impression that the light source is uneqivecably coming out of the screen and not a reflection off it.

A few posts on AVS that I've come across seem to suggest that the high gain silver screens do exactly this. The effect is often described as being like looking at a giant plasma. I wonder if anyone here has had any experience with these kind of screens, either commercial or DIY ?

I've also managed to pull back the Light Fusion screen thread following a search here on silver screens. This looks interesting for similar reasons. Did anyone get anyone over here get any further with this, sourcing materials etc ?

Allan

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  3. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was that "wow" for the prices or the technology!!!!
    For me, it would be for the price!!

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Both really :)

Cap.

5. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Alan,

I use a Grey material and have found that in my system it works very well, and allows me to use some ambient lighting from time to time whilst still being able to see the image, i did find the colour balance needed to be re-calibrated considerably from my last settings which were done on a matte white material with a gain of 1.3, this was to be expected.
    My current material has a gain of 1.35.

I do have a demonstration screen with half studiotek 130 and firehawk (grey)
    that you could arrange to have a look at if you want?

Hope the equipment you got from me is going OK.

Cheers

6. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Many thanks for the replies. Sorry for not responding earlier but its been back to the dreaded work this week and away from home.

Captian Benefit, thanks for the link to the Silverstar screen. I'm sure that's the one getting the praise over on AVS and was the one I was thinking about. It's a shame about the high cost though. Perhaps I should be thinking more along DIY lines. I'm sure I remember from somewhere that these screens are made from a semi-rigid material. Probably something on similar lines to the Light Fusion screen that uses a 3mm thick plastic sheet with mirror finish as the base. I may investigate the Light Fusion screen further when I have more time but I'm slightly put off by the £100 or so cost of the plastic sheet in a DIY project that might go awry, especially given the slightly unknown paint equivalents in this country and the accuracy required in spraying-up the top coats. I don't think anyone in this country has successfully completed one of these screens so far and I have no experience in spraying.

Craig, good to hear from you again. I have used a grey screen previously but I'm curious about the effect of the silver screens. I believe the silverstar has an almost mirror-like finish with an incredibly high gain of about 6.0. From the comments I've read from people who've tried them the effect is to produce a much brighter image (obviously) and one that looks closer to plasma than what you normally expect from a projector. It's probably a personal thing but I actually prefer the image from my plasma than I do from the projector but it's beaten on size. If I had the image quality I get from the plasma combined with the screen size from the projector it would be best of both worlds.

The Denon AV1 and M&K speakers are great and are still going strong in my home cinama system. I added a Velodyne HGS15 sub and the audio side of things is certainly more than adequate. It is one area that appears to have little in the way of noticeable shortcomings, to the point I rarely question what it is doing and therefore never gets a look-in when thoughts turn to upgrading.

Regards,
    Allan

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I may source some silver paint and do a test on a small piece of MDF and see how it compares to my white screen.

Cap :)

8. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where will you get that silver paint from?

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    most DIY shops sell silver paint.

Hopefully find something matt, should not be too hard.

10. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not a bad plan. Most "aluminium" paint has quite a matt finish. Let us know if you try this, if not I'd be tempted to have a go myself.

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Will definately do it.

In fact was looking at silver paint over the weekend, wondering if I should buy it.

12. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I made a small screen using Screwfix aluminium paint as it was nice and silver unlike most of the other alu paints I had which were just grey. Of course the screen hot spotted like crazy and really needed some layer to diffuse the light. more. I still have loads of the paint to try again if anyone can give me an idea of a top coating to use.

13. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Interesting.

What about a top coat of goo from

www.nexnix.co.uk

Cheers,

Captain Benefit.

14. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I thought of Goo though I've read that a pot doesn't seem to go that far, or I may just go for the Opticoat 'Silver Cloud' which cost about the same for top and bottom coat as Goo does for the top. I also have a pot of artists 'White Pearl' ink that I was going to mix into some varnish, it's just getting around to finding the time trying things.

15. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that opticoat stuff looks interesting and might be worth atry if it claims to eliminate hotspots from even the most reflective of surfaces...

16. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you ever give the silver paint a try?

17. Misty

Misty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, stumbled on this thread & thought I should add to it. Used to work for one of the UK's best Bespoke Home Cinema installers and chanced upon an interesting cheap screen alternative whilst testing a Dila based projector. I was setting the Projector up in our main cinema room whilst another team were preping a B&O Multi Disc CD player. They had unpacked the aluminum bracket for the B&O kit as I was warming up the projector to keystone on our Stewart 10 foot static screen, you can only imagine my surprise as the projected image from the Dila hit the aluminum bracket and gave a far superior image than a £4000 + Stewart screen. Bright image with great contrast. This makes me wonder, if you were to have fabricated a polished piece of aluminum sheet as a static screen would this have the same effect you guys are talking about?

Any thoughts?

18. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too reflective, it would hotspot (ie you could see the bulb instead of the image)

19. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about a matt finish, such as sand blasted? I guess that would be little different to a grey screen though.

20. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    We are due the Vutec SilverStar demo screen in at work sometime this week.
    This is the screen with the central SilverStar finish, and also mattewhite and 'enhanced grey' sections either side.

I will get some photos taken in our office which has fully dimmable lighting, so I can try a few lighting levels.

Hopefully we will still have a Sharp XV-Z2000 on loan which will provide a good source.

Regards

Richard

Marata Vision
    Vutec UK Distributors