Answered Anybody here own a Marantz SA-10 CD player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by hifilowfi, Mar 27, 2018.

1. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm currently seriously considering a purchase of the new Marantz SA-10 SA-CD player. Pretty much every review I've read universally likes this machine, I'm just wondering if anybody here owns one and what their thoughts are after owing it for a while?

Additionally, if you're able to detail what interconnect you use with it, that would really help.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by Ideal AV, Apr 9, 2018 (1 points)
  3. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody??

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    It's an expensive bit of kit, perhaps too exotic for most. I've got the Marantz SA8005 player and I use Chord Clearway interconnects. Is the SA10's performance five times better than the 8005? Can't help on that. Sorry.

5. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    Best Answer
    hi

i've had a SA-10 for quite a while now in my light room and without doubt its the best CD spinner i've had......... ever

Build quality is just the best, it weighs a ton and more importantly sounds superb, i'm using audioquest interconnects as well

I simply cannot think why you would be disappointed with its performance

Allan

6. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's fabulous news, Allan. Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, which Audioquest interconnects are you using? They seem to manufacture a lot of different models at hugely varying prices.

Thanks.

7. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    ah!

now your asking, i’m away on an install for 4 days but if you can wait i’ll get back to you

Edit: just checked my invoice and i’m using Audioquest Yukon 0.75M XLR’s

it really does sound very very good though and your more than welcome to have a demo

i have a promotion on atm and you can choose up to £350 of Audioquest cables or whatever brand you prefer

Allan

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many Thanks, Allan, you're really helpful and this is much appreciated. I've been offered a good discount by a dealer and am currently considering this but first need to make time to demo the unit. I see you're based near Wakefield which is quite a distance, but I'll certainly keep this information in mind.

9. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    Really? So you are using cables that cost nearly 300 quid each when the studios that recorded, mixed and mastered what you are listening to probably didn't even spend a tenner each on the usual van-damme+neutrik studio patch cables or a little more on the equivalent heavier duty cables used for mics.

I wonder what issues there are with regular studio grade cables that the Audioquest fixes, especially after the fact?

That's nice! What about the other cable? ;)

10. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    who said there was any issues with any other cables, i use Audioquest because i wanted to use a quality cable rather than a non descript one as that is what anyone wanting to demo a premium product like the Marantz SA-10 would expect to see.

The other cables? well that’s the choice of the customer to decide isn’t it.

i’m not getting into a cable debate btw, i was simply replying to the question ask by the OP

11. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    OK - just poking the hornets nest to see if you might actually come up with a meaningful reason why you or someone might buy such a cable and why you might recommended such a cable to a customer beyond its 'premium' :)

I would not describe the cheaper cables I mentioned as 'non-descript' - the cable and connectors are exactly what many studios use.

12. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    and that’s what i normally use, i’ve been making cables up since i was 15 ( nearly 65) and using Van Dam - Neutric for a long time but the Premium HiFi customer might frown when it’s not a Sparkling packaged cable and would even sometimes be put off ;)

13. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    Did you follow up on the Marantz?

14. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi @gibbsy, yes I have, I demoed it at the weekend. It's a very accomplished listen, to be honest. It's built like a tank - the tray is exceptionally smooth and the unit looks & feels like a quality piece of kit.

Sound-wise, I played four SA-CDs and four CDs. The SA-CDs sounded incredible - a beautiful open, transparent sound - practically like being in the room with the band. The CDs sounded excellent too, despite some of them being recordings without a big budget. In fact, I would find next to nothing to dislike, except perhaps for the slightly longer delay when initially reading the disc (4-5 secs), than I'm used to with my current player (<2 secs).

I listened to the SA-10 partnered with the new Marantz PM-10, which to be fair I didn't like as much as my current amplifier, but that's not really the point. As CD players go, I'm looking for a player which will hopefully take me through the 20+ years my current player has served - and the SA-10 is currently looking like just that player.

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +809
    Have you had a listen to the SA-14S1 Special Edition or are you specifically going for the best. (I'm just interested as I've recently bought the 14 SE)

16. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, I haven't listened to the SA-14S1, @stranger. For no good reason really - although the DAC element of the SA-10 definitely makes a compelling case.

17. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    The SA 14SE looks a very interesting proposition and Marantz are certainly producing some very very good spinners of late. I thought I had done really well with the SA 8005 for a mere £529 and with it's build quality must be the steal of the century.

Would I buy a SA 14? Certainly especially already having experienced how good the 8005 is. Would I buy a SA 10? May be not as I feel the rest of the components in my set up would not do it justice. It is so tempting to embrace the web of the upgradiatus spider again. Has to be speakers again. KEF Reference 1s anybody.

@hifilowfi What is the rest of your set up?

18. hifilowfi

hifilowfi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @gibbsy, I have an Accuphase amp, ELAC BS-314 speakers, Pro-Ject 2 Xperience X-Pack turntable, Marantz CD-63 mk.II KI Signature CD player, Philips CD-Audio Recorder, Aiwa cassette deck and Neet AirStream media streamer.

You mention speakers - these were by far the most difficult component to decide on as there are literally hundreds of pairs and I really didn't like the majority of them. I don't know whether it's a case of me being too picky, but I found that the sound was either too bright, too coloured, too "something", I just didn't like the vast majority of what I heard. Some 5* speakers were too polite, you just don't feel "involved" with the music. I really struggled to find a pair of speakers which simply present the music in its transparent form, so that if you close your eyes, you feel like you're in the room with the band. The ELACs do that - and I'm extremely happy with them.

19. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,679
    Thanks for your reply, the Aiwa deck might just give your age away. Speakers can be a very personal choice as we all perceive sound differently and I think the right choice of speaker can be the beating heart of a good system for many years. The problem for me with running a stereo pair within a 5.1.2 system is that I'm sort of locked into KEF unless I want to the change the lot and increase the cost considerably.

I have had the green light of the missus to get a pair of Reference 1s but I don't know if I'm brave enough to jump in given the limited room I have, it could be a costly mistake.

I love the look of the ELACs.

20. Ideal AV

Ideal AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    it’s a tough call to have to change all your speakers but if you do i’d recommend a good listen to some Dali Epicons :smashin:

ATM i’m running the SA-10 within an ATI/Epicon 6 system which sounds superb imo

Allan