1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody heard the PMC DB1 reference mini monitors?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MuFu, Mar 11, 2003.

1. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/db1f.htm

I am quite intrigued by small, transmission-line based speakers and the design of these seems remarkable. They are no larger than a B&W 600 s3.

Read a very favourable review of them in Sound on Sound a month or two ago and am curious to hear of anybody else that may have heard them (in any context). Sure - they are essentially nearfield studio monitors and a certain neutrality is to be expected, but I guess I am a big fan of that kind of sound anyway. The fact that they have been designed with the audiophile/AV enthusiast in mind is encouraging and had my mouth watering at the prospect of 5/6 of these and a decent sub.

Anyway... I would be most appreciative of some opinions. If not of the DB1's then of transmission line technology in general. :)

Cheers,

MuFu.

P.S. See that FB1 + Bryston PowerPac 120 combo? Nice. :cool:

[edited by rjw to remove image]

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Heard these about 6 months ago when changing from Linn Keltiks to my current B&W 805s.....

This is just my opinion,BTW,

Quite pleasant treble,with relatively smooth sound if limited extension.
    Soundstaging was relatively good,but not comparable to either B&W 805s or CDM series.
    The bass typifies many transmission line speakers in being quite slow and doesnt have great definition.

On the whole,IMHO,nice,well made,but nothing out of the ordinary

A set of B&W CDMs would be worth auditioning.....the setup in this case was a Primare CD player and Chord integrated amp.

3. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MuFu,

I haven't heard the DB1's. but I run a pair of FB1's and a TB2C and imho they are excellent. The bass is stunning and voice reproduction is very clear. The metal dome tweaters can sound a bit harsh when new, or when partenered with some kit. Be warned, they are quite revealing speakers and poor quality recordings or low quality source/amps will be noticeable. On the other hand, with good source material the sound is hugely entertaining (never tireing) and well worth the ££'s. From my experience with the FB1's I would say that a well designed transmission line speaker definatly delivers some benefits. They seem to "sound the same" regardless of the volume level, deliver a very clean sound, and at the same time are very entertaining with bass that simply puts a grin on your face.

I think PMC describe their smaller offerings like the DB1's and TB2's as transflex designs. The cabinets simply aren't big enough to deliver a full transmision line. Even so, if you were to integrate them with the TLE1 active sub and some quality amps/source I'm sure they would also sound fantastic.

The only way to be sure is to get a good demo setup. If you listen to alot of stereo it's probaly worth considering a pair of FB1 (or OB1's-very cool) for the front channels.

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Heh... sorry I completely overlooked this thread due to the slow loading times, sorry. Thanks for the insight, guys. :)

Would you stick by that statement when taking the size into account? I didn't really make it clear in my first post but I'm looking for the "biggest" possible sound out of the smallest units. Consider that I recently "downgraded" from B&W 601s to 600s because of their size (!); I had both for a while and decided that when well integrated with a decent sub (a Q100E in this case) there was little/no reason to stick with the larger model. With limited space here at uni I'm faced with choosing between a compact front L-C-R + rear dipole/bipole setup or a full compliment of satellites.

Although the Nucleus Micro route has a certain inevitability about it (pending a demo, of course), I would really like full range fronts that I can cart about between home/uni. I do a little bit of music tech/production work upon occasion so the DB1's are obvious candidates. FB1's are out of the question to to their price/size (over £1000 a pair, I believe), as are the B&W CDM-NT's. Interesting you mention metal-dome tweeters. They are particularly good with cymbal sounds (for obvious reasons) and being a drummer I tend to listen for that kind of thing first. Not so much due to brightness/sparkle, moreover the fact that they can reproduce "dry" sounds without sounding flat. I think that's probably why the B&W's won me over the last time I was looking for speakers.

Ah well... a lack of funds prevents me from doing anything at the moment. I'll certainly try and get a demo of a DB1 + DB1M-C soundfield though; just to satisfy my own curiosity, if nothing else. :cool:

Thanks again,

MuFu.

P.S. Hadn't even heard of the OB1's until you mentioned them )(bet there have been a few jokes about the name, eh?!). Those are DEFINITELY out of my price range but the dealer need not know that when I ask for a 2 hour slot... ;)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At the Bristol show last month one of the exhibitors in the entrance hallway had a pair of dimunitive PMC speakers on the end of a valve amplifier.

It sounded really good but it was the worst possible place to hold a demo and may sound quite different in "proper" surroundings

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Those them? They really are very small indeed. Just measured and they are actually smaller than my 600 s3s.

Looking around at prices I imagine a veneered front three would cost about £700. Not bad.

MuFu.

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you want serious sound out of tiny cabinets I would definitely recommend demoing the ATC SCM-7s - very, very impressive little beasties, with that tight ATC bass, though probably not the same sort of extension as a transmission line design. I believe they're in your price range, too, at £480 a pair.

www.atc.gb.net

Cheers,

Dunc

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Been reading a couple of reviews - *exceptionally* neutral speakers, eh? Specs look pretty similar - just those cabinets, urgh! They look like a pair of Tannoys my dad has from '82. :D

I'll definitely consider them though - seems to be no shortage of favourable opinions regarding ATC speakers around the net.

Thanks Dunc. :)

MuFu.

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, if you don't like the old-school cabinets (the veneer is beautiful, though, and they look a lot nicer in person than in pictures :) ), and you can stretch your budget, maybe consider the Passive 10s? They have a completely different futuristic aluminium/silver/grey look, though I think they cost around £800.

Of course, if you're going to consider the Passive 10s, it would only make sense to give the Active 10s a listen. :) And then you'll be introduced to the wonderful world of ATC Active speakers - from which there is no escape! :D

Dunc

10. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, I saw your site. Suffice to say, you like 'em? :cool:

"In the summer of 2000, after completing my first year of university, I was sucked into the world of hifi."

Sounds very familiar indeed. :D

MuFu.

11. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hehehe, yup. :)

Actually, the site's painfully out of date and in desperate need of an update - currently got three Active 10s across the front and a Concept 2 subwoofer - joy! Oh, and a Meridian 507 CD player! :clap::clap::clap:

Pics of current system (under 'Home cinema pics')

Dunc

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    MuFu...in answer to your question about what I said re:nothing out of the ordinary....with respect to size,build and all the other considerations,in my opinion yes...this is a very competitive area of the market and I couldn't see anything to spearate them from many others.

As with all of these things though,what makes one person voice one opinion,will be fine for someone else.....if you like them,buy them....but listen first.

I actually liked the little Spendors in the same price range,and the B&W CDM1's are definitely better,but not appropriate to your requirements from what you said.

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, thanks. I'm sure there are quite a few other "undiscovered gems" in the studio moniter market that might be worth considering. Of course I will have to have a listen... I don't even buy chicken breasts these days without getting a demo first. ;)

Dunc... very nice indeed! :cool:

MuFu.