1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody has 2 amps connected to 1 set of speakers ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mad Max, May 30, 2001.

1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I want the best of both worlds...

Have a Denon ARV-3801, but want an Audio dedicated amp. Will be buying new speakers also, but lack space to have 2 sets of speakers :(.

So, who has 2 amps connected to 1 set of speakers ? How did you connect ? Audio switch ? what brand and model (if you can buy it online, it would be great !). How does it affect the sound ? Do you notice a difference ? Ok, I'll stop asking questions, and start listening for advice.

Thanks

Rui

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why not connect the front=pre-outs of the AV amp to any free line level input of the stereo amp?
    Stereo sources remain connected to the stereo amp while AV sources connect to the AV amp.
    Requires only one set of speakers and no hassle with some switchbox or cable plugging.

Level the volume - using a SPL meter - once for AV use and remember the knob position (of the stereo amp) or mark it.

3. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought about that, but I don't always watch movies at the same volume (depending on time of day/night, mood, movie type, etc), and therefore would have to constantly ajust the hi-fi amp's volume, making it too much of a hassle... I want trouble free process, which in an Ideal world, would be a remotely operated switching box.

Since I have to fisically move up to the set to switvh CD's/DVD's, I can just as well change the input button for the amp at the same time.

Thanks for the Idea anyway.

Max...

P.S. Wait a minute... Pre-out's from AV have variable output, right ? Wich means that if I change volume on the A/V, it will change volume on the audio amp, right ? If so, 1 question:

Is the ration constant ? I mean, when I double the power on the A/V amp, will the actual power of the Audio amp double too ? I wouldn't want to double the power on the center speaker, to find out that the main's have tripled their output...

Does anybody actually have this kind of setup ? does Home-cinema stuff sound even from low to mid volume levels ?

Thanks

Rui

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Been there done it! Take my advice, you won't regret it. I also agonised over the physics of connecting the AV pre-outs to an input on my stereo amps. I took the advice of others and must say that I really do have the best of both worlds. I have a denon 3300 (similar to 3801) driving centre and rears directly, but front pre-outs go to cyruses bi-amping the front speakers. My CD/DAC combo feeds directly into the cyruses for a "pure" path, but I have taken analogue outputs from the CD to the 3300 as well. The only things that need adjusting when switching from AV to music are the input selector on the stereo amp and the volume setting which is always at 12 o'clock for AV, but much lower for music. After that all adjustments are made with the denon and volumes to fronts and centre are adjusted proportionately etc so hope that answers your question. If you really want to eliminate the one-off volume adjustment, an attenuating interconnect from Russ Andrews for the CD would probably do the trick but I really don't see the need. I have to get up to change the source so I adjust the volume at the same time. After that I don't have to get up. The reason why I feed my CD player into the stereo and AV amps is so that I can bring the sub into play with my music if I want to, I play the music through the stereo amps but also turn on the denon selected to "CD" in "stereo" mode (so that no sound comes from the centre and rears). The front speakers only get music from the cyruses but the sub volume can be adjusted independently by the denon's volume control.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, that's how it's done - the AV will control all the volume after the stereo amp has been set at a fixed level.

I posted some link to another forum were you could do some wiring tricks to even improve this further if your amp/receiver has a REC OUT selector, if you are interested search for my old(er) posts, can't remember the subject nor the link itself.

6. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys... I'm sold !

Now to look for an SPL, a quality stereo amp, and some good front speakers :)

Anybody know where to buy an SPL online ?

Cheers

Max