1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody got the Sony freeview box?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobones, Dec 21, 2003.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does it talk smartlink with the Panny recorders? If it works correctly, the recorder will get program titles from the Sony box and it should be capable of being switched on and off via timers programmed on the Sony.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I have the Sony box, but not a Panny recorder (yet). However, the Smart link doesn't even work with all Sony Smartlink products (it doesn't work with my Sony VCR, even with the latest software update). So unless someone actually can verify it works I wouldn't count on it.
    Mark

3. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hoping to get the Sony freeview box to go with my HS2 later today. If so, I'll let you know.

The smartlink features have tempted me - the HS2 is Q-link/Smartlink enabled so I'm hoping it'll be ok.

Chris

4. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, bought the Sony Freeview box yesterday and so far the Smartlink operation doesn't look too promising.

I don't think the Sony is recognising the HS2 as a Smartlink device because when setting a timer on the Sony it prompts you to also set the timer on the VCR.

The HS2 manual is very vague about the Q-link/Smartlink functions.... the setup pages just refer to 'boxes that output special codes'. The Sony manual even says that it isn't guaranteed to work with all current Sony Smartlink devices!

It may be the cable (although it's a high quality gold plated one)... I'll try swapping it for the supplied Sony one.

The box will, however, start the HS2 via ext-link if the AV2 setting is set to EXT-LINK2 in the setup menu, and outputs an RGB signal to the HS2.

5. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have now got my Sony freeview box (VTX-D800) working with my HS2 via smartlink.

You will need to connect the Sony VCR Out to AV1 on the HS2
    Also connect the Sony TV out scart to the TV.

Switch on Smartlink option in settings menu and set TV and also set TV and video out to 'Auto'.

You will need the latest Sony software (was broadcast late Dec and to be rebroadcast in Feb).

It doesn't record titles but timer setting is a dream.... will automatically turn on the HS2 and start recording. Can also watch HS2 whilst recording as the sony will pass back the playback signal to the TV whilst supplying the HS2 with the signal to record.

When 7day EPG data is broadcast it will be even better.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Spanglemaker.

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

How is the picture quality? The VCR SCART on the Sony doesn't support RGB, and only supports S-video with a Smartlink compliant recorder. Can you tell if the signal you are recording is S-video?

Mark

7. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes it is S-video. It did at first default to composite as I still had the AV1 setting on the HS2 set to RGB. After changing this to S-video and plugging into an S-video capable scart on the TV the recorded picture improved considerably. I tested it on the Sony's EPG and there was a lot of dot-crawl when set to composite but none with S-video.

I can live with S-video for the convenience of the Smartlink features must must would obviously prefer RGB. I wonder whether Sony can make RGB available on the VCR scart with a software update.

My very first freeview box was the Grundig and RGB was implemented in a software update. (although I think this was for the TV scart output).

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks - good to know.

It would be great if Sony could add RGB to the second SCART! Actually for me, I can't use the S-video on the VCR scart, as my display doesn't have an S-video input (only RGB).

9. Spanglemaker

Spanglemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep.... might give them a ring sometime. I also want to suggest a daily/weekly repeat option on the timer settings. Found this quite useful on my old Grundig 1500.