1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody got some good setup tips for my Servo 15?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JIT, Dec 6, 2003.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Having picked up my Servo yesterday from ShinObiWAN i have started to get it setup.

I have the gain on the sub at -56 and at 0 on my Denon 1803. There is plenty of depth but not as much slam as i was hoping for, i have it sitting between my front right speaker and the TV at the moment but will experiment with positioning to try to improve the sub's performance.

Any tips from more experienced Servo owners would be welcomed.

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all honesty, JIT, the subwoofer's a little too good for your amp.

The 1803 isn't renowned for its bass depth or slam, so an amp upgrade may very well be the cure for your problem.

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd better start saving up then, what do you recommend?

Would a 3802/3 or one of the Pioneers do the job better?

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like you, I have an AVR1803, and - like you - I'm going to be getting a Servo...

I'm replacing my 1803 with a high-end One Box Amp/Pre-Power combo, but both the amps you mention would be an improvement...

There's both a VSX-D2011 and an AVR3802 in the classifieds, which would be suitable....

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Before you go changing your amp I'd make sure you've got the sub in the optimum position. There's no reason why you can't obtain both slam and depth with a Servo 15 and your current amp. Whilst a better amp will generally give you improvements in bass performance it won't cure poor bass problems that are due to poor sub placement.

6. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This was the first place i tried the sub so i have yet to move it to different positions to see how it sounds.

Been trying Blade, Matrix Reloaded, Gladiator the usual demo material and as i said it can go low but just not managed to get the desired slam yet.

7. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Also looking for more good demo material on CD/DVD which shows what the Servo can do.

Any recommendations?

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Try a position near a corner or in a corner and then move outwards slighty until you find the desired sound/slam. The servo is a very capable sub when positioned right. I have two stcked in a corner which some may find funny, but this gives the best response in my room and cured a large trough i had in the 40-60hz range.

If you can use avia or snapbug test tones and get some measurements of what the sub is doing in your room at different positions, this will give you a more accurate guide to whats going on.

How big is your room.?

9. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    THX 1138.

I have borrowed AVIA so will try that, where can i download some tones from?

My room is 4.5m wide, 6.5m long and 3.5m high - these are only estimates.

10. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I now have the Servo in the front right corner of my room behind and to the side of my front right speaker (Tannoy R3).

Having just tried The Matrix Reloaded i am getting a good thud when someone gets hit over the head with a motorcycle helmet right at the beginning of the film and also when she if falling from the window and shooting at the agent there is plenty bass. A couple of minutes later when the spacecraft actually lands there is loads of very low bass.

If anybody has more useful info that would be great.

11. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I must say that my Servo 15 didn't really start to perform well until I stuck the X30 control box (which Richers gave me by accident) into the loop and adjusted the phase - it was like focussing a lens - at 90 degrees everything tightened up considerably.

You really do have to experiment a lot with positioning though - I originally plonked my Servo down where my HGS15 had been sat (and where it performed majestically).

I thought "well, I'm replacing one 15" sub with another (albeit with a slightly deeper cabinet) so it should sound good in the same position. WRONG - the Servo sounded awful there (in a corner). I ended up with it on the other side of the room, alongside the listening position and pointing back down towards the main speakers - much, much better but only with the phase set to 90.

What I also found was that whereas it was simple to get a 75dB reading on the SPL meter with the HGS, with the Servo (using the same test tone from the same processor) I could get nothing much on the meter and ended up doing it all by ear.

My approach was to set it up so that it sounded spot on in stereo i.e. so it added depth to the front speakers without really being noticed - you now only notice it (or a lack of it) when you switch it off. This done, I then needed to do nothing for movies - it sounded great but, again, not OTT.

Matt.

Matt.

12. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, i have tried setting it up in stereo as you mentioned but i think an X-30 controller might be what i need - i'd like to try it anyway to see if it makes a difference.

The last on sold in the classifieds here for £40 .

13. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only way to get slam from mi 15 was to put it behind my sofa

14. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I did try it right next to where i sit and it did deliver what i'm looking for so i might have to use it as a table if i can't get it to perform anywhere else in my room.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,830
    Guys I don't mean to patronise (so forgive me if it sounds like I am), but are you sure you're missing alot of bass, or is it simply distortion that you're missing?

If you've had a lesser sub previously, you may be confusing distortion with bass: certainly when I moved from twin REL Storms to a single Servo 15, movies initially sounded thinner - but in fact this was just low distortion more than anything else that caused this...

16. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Smurfin.

I agree with what you've said as i had a PS1000 before the Servo and now movies do sound thinner but have a lot more very low bass.

This is my first real sub so i suppose i have to get used to listening to clean bass instead of distortion.