Anybody got one of these spare please.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16B1CFDE-3E20-490E-A8E4-EE24361F3C4F.jpeg
AF01DB78-C9EF-4CBF-A208-3D6BD9B3F7B9.jpeg
I have some lights outside and the top pin on the plug has snapped and to replace amazon are asking £10 when the lights only cost £15 and I can buy a smaller set for £10:99 and get the plug with it. So in the interest of saving the planet has anybody got one or know where I can get one for a reasonable price? I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think we will need a picture or a link Steve :)

I can well imagine that if the Earth connection isn't used, the manufacturer molds a plastic earth pin as part of the plug or adapter.
With a plug, just replace the whole plug with one with metal pins, 49p from those 'cheap' shops that replaced Woolworths, plus a suitable rated fuse.
Rather more difficult if the required adapter is built into the plug.

Assume you are talking about the earth pin on a wall wart power supply.

These don't usually serve any purpose but to open the gates in the wall socket for the live and neutral.

If you still have the pin, glue it back on with two part epoxy glue - preferably slotting a bit of metal/plastic/wood inside to give it extra strength.

Cheers,

Nigel

These don't usually serve any purpose but to open the gates in the wall socket for the live and neutral.

If you have one of these hanging about...
143oys2.png

...use a small screwdriver in the earth hole to open the gate and with a bit of jiggerypokery the wall wart (missing the plastic earth pin) will go in. Plug in, turn on - sorted.

:)

143oys2.png

...use a small screwdriver in the earth hole to open the gate and with a bit of jiggerypokery the wall wart (missing the plastic earth pin) will go in. Plug in, turn on - sorted.

Good idea that.

If you still have the pin, glue it back on with two part epoxy glue - preferably slotting a bit of metal/plastic/wood inside to give it extra strength.

Cheers,

Nigel
lost the pin father in law broke it.

View attachment 1044886 View attachment 1044885 I have some lights outside and the top pin on the plug has snapped and to replace amazon are asking £10 when the lights only cost £15 and I can buy a smaller set for £10:99 and get the plug with it. So in the interest of saving the planet has anybody got one or know where I can get one for a reasonable price? I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount.
Thanks in advance.

I have a similar power supply but the pin configuration is different. It looks like mine has the earth pin as it's a 3 core cable, however you may be able do something with it to make it work with your lights? or someone more knowledgeable can assist? The transformer is brand new and I can send the cable with it as well.

I don't want anything for it, it's yours if you want it.

I won't be able to reply to this thread until this afternoon,

20180801_052533.jpg
20180801_052523.jpg
20180801_052654.jpg
20180801_052523.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar power supply but the pin configuration is different. It looks like mine has the earth pin as it's a 3 core cable, however you may be able do something with it to make it work with your lights? or someone more knowledgeable can assist? The transformer is brand new and I can send the cable with it as well.

I don't want anything for it, it's yours if you want it.

I won't be able to reply to this thread until this afternoon,

View attachment 1045064 View attachment 1045065 View attachment 1045066 View attachment 1045065
Thanks for the very kind offer mate but it does look different. Is the cable fairy lights?

I had a meeting last night but I will attempt the adapter method when I get home tonight and see how it goes.

I had a meeting last night but I will attempt the adapter method when I get home tonight and see how it goes.

Steve, the adaptor method described by @Chadford will work exactly the same if you just do the same trick on the wall socket. You really don't need to buy/ find one of those 4-way adapters. Just make sure that there's no kids around to watch how grandad opens the live/ neutral gates on a wall socket :eek:

I've done this many times in the past, as when we moved from Germany to the U.K, I couldn't be arsed to change all the plugs over, instead (unwisely) opting to use the above method and simply ram the EU plug into the UK socket...Which is silly.

View attachment 1045262 Thanks to @Chadford for his idea I just used one of these
Those things typically don't have shutters on the output connects - bloody dangerous, because, if nothing is plugged into the adaptor, then any kid can poke "something" into the contact tube = scratch one kid!

Also, actually illegal in the UK and most (if not all) other European countries:(

PS: I recommend binning the whole contraption - although you could buy a mains to 28/29Vdc converter, as sold for reclining chairs (had to do that when SWMBO's recliner adaptor failed), but that would cost around £30, so more expensive than just replacing the existing contraption (but probably more reliable than the original adapter).

We have one in the loft, I am sure. I'll have to check the amp output and so to see if it matches. It will be tomorrow afternoon now though.

Those things typically don't have shutters on the output connects - bloody dangerous, because, if nothing is plugged into the adaptor, then any kid can poke "something" into the contact tube = scratch one kid!

Also, actually illegal in the UK and most (if not all) other European countries:(

PS: I recommend binning the whole contraption - although you could buy a mains to 28/29Vdc converter, as sold for reclining chairs (had to do that when SWMBO's recliner adaptor failed), but that would cost around £30, so more expensive than just replacing the existing contraption (but probably more reliable than the original adapter).
It’s plugged in an outdoor socket only when we are out there and taken in when not plus we have sensible kids.

We have one in the loft, I am sure. I'll have to check the amp output and so to see if it matches. It will be tomorrow afternoon now though.
FWIW, the mains adapter is rated at 5W, which is SFA, and if it failed with the sort of damage I think I could see in the photos (e.g. cracked plastic!) then it, to me, is a "rubbish" product - probably means that any similar replacement will be the same, and I wouldn't even consider using it!
(from someone who spent 40+ yrs in electrical/electronic equipment product safety :) )

It’s plugged in an outdoor socket only when we are out there and taken in when not plus we have sensible kids.
Please re-read my post - it's inherently dangerous, and ILLEGAL in the UK. Something similar came with a USB dock I bought a few years ago, and I reported it (and the seller!) to Trading Standards. A TS rep came over here a couple of days later and confirmed that! Get rid of of it (safely!), PDQ!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom