1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody got a Sony VPL X1000 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Craig_Nike, May 19, 2002.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to hear from anyone with this projector.
    I'm not sure there would be many around, but I have just recently bought one and am very happy with it.

I was hoping to discuss settings and learnings.
    I am just abuot to open it up and blow the dust out of it so if anybody has any thoughts/opinions, please let me know.

Thanks

2. bob2005_wow

bob2005_wow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Craig

I just bought a Sony VPL-X1000 Projector from EBay and it arrived today.
    I was so excited until I switched it on, the on green light comes on and then the yellow light (Lamp/Cover) light goes on and no light coming out of the lens.
    Perhaps if you know what I am doing wrong or not doing, I must admit I do not know anything about this projector and my only salvation is forums such as this one.
    Any help would be appreciated....

3. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I took delivery of one last week, unfortunately it had to go back because the bulb was broken.

I will have it back in my hands next week though and I am looking forward to playing with it. From the limited time I had it I noticed it was built like a tank and I am suprised it got broken in transit at all.

I'm hoping that it will stand me in good sted for a while until I can afford a hi-res dlp pj in the future:clap:

Are you sure the bulb isn't blown? Did the seller say it was working?

I think the manual from the Sony website , I don't have one either btw

An new bulb for this pj is available but they are expensive ~£350, and if you buy a bulb off ebay there is no garentee it will work.

How much did it set you back out of interest?

Also what sort of throw distance are you looking to use it over? I ask bacause I have a 2x zoom lens on mine which tbh is overkill for my needs although an expensive additon to the original item. If you wanted a longer throw lens we might be able to organise some sort of swap :). Or if you decide that its too much investment to get a new bulb I might be able to make you an offer on the lens.

MB

4. Codepuncher

Codepuncher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    i have a VPL-X1000 but it has a bad Polarizer on the Blue Channel.

Taken from the Service Manual it is part no. 154
    Sony Part no. 9-882-678-01 POLARIZATION PLATE (B)/CONDENSER LENS

If anyone has a spares machine they could grab it from i`d be most grateful.

If you need the Service Manual, send me a pm and i`ll upload it to Rapidshare.
    12 MB

Attached Files:

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Hi Craig,

There is a lot more info on the US forum (avsforum) and quite a fw tweaks to help with brightness and higher contrast. See Darinp2s posts as well as Alan Gougers, woth of which own one.

You guys with broken Ruby's - are these second hand projectors because you should have a warranty for them. Parts probably won't be cheap right now - a new lamp is around $1000 I believe and the iris mechanism was something like $3000, though that's unlikely to be a problem right now. I think you'd have more luck over on the US forum for info on parts like that.

Gary

6. Flobacks

Flobacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey did you ever hear any thing back about this problem? i am so far having the same trouble with mine, i just received my new bulb today but for some reason the projection part wont display but the lights on top turn on. if you could help me out please respond.
    thank you

7. Flobacks

Flobacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you heard anything back on this post? im having the same problem with mine, and i have just purchased a new projection bulb for it as well. i would appreciate it if you could let me know what you have found out?
    thanks

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Gary, I think this is not the 'Ruby' model they have but an older LCD model. I think the Ruby is the VPL-W100.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Thanks Oakly - you're absolutely right!

I think I need to get my eyes checked.. :p

Gary

10. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Very little info to be found these days on this model. I did find this press release on it from 1999 which although doesn't really answer your questions, may be of interest.

"Sony Introduces Portable XGA Resolution LCD Projector

1000 ANSI Lumens and Advanced Functionality in 13-Pound Package

PARK RIDGE, N.J.--March 2, 1999--Sony Electronics’ newest portable LCD projector, model VPL-X1000U, produces bright and clear images even in environments with ambient light and is well-suited for applications such as business, classroom, training, hotel A/V and rental applications.

The VPL-X1000U incorporates an optical unit that consists of improved 10 x 8 element fly-eye light integrators and a short arc 120 Watt UHP lamp. A new high-performance lens and Sony’s 1.3-inch aperture XGA-resolution (1024 x 768 pixels, 750 TV lines) liquid crystal display (LCD) panels featuring micro lens array and metal mask technologies combine to help deliver a powerful 1000 ANSI lumens of light output.

"Continued advancements in projector technology allow us to offer a product with brighter, clearer images without increasing the price, while still remaining dedicated to reliability and flexibility," said Jim Sandy, vice president of display systems for Sony Electronics’ Broadcast and Professional Company. "Constructed with a sturdy magnesium diecast body, this projector comes with the same three-year/three-year warranty(a) offered on all of our LCD projectors. This reliability, along with the multiple input sources, easy set up and light weight, help to make the hardware portion of the presentation worry-free."

Sony’s original auto pixel alignment (APA) feature is a unique algorithm allowing the VPL-X1000U projector to set-up optimal resolution and performance with the press of a button. No complicated adjustments are required. By connecting a computer signal source and pressing the APA button on either the projector or the remote, the projector will optimize its own performance for that signal by aligning the image pixels with the panel.

The VPL-X1000U projector offers three LCD panels in its projection system, and can create a viewable area of 40 to 300 inches (viewable area measured diagonally). The projector also incorporates features such as front ventilation holes to direct fan noise away from the audience and three-speaker sound with two tweeters and one woofer for wide range, dynamic stereo sound to support presentations.

The VPL-X1000U projector will be available this month from select Sony resellers at a suggested retail price of $9,990."

Danny

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
  12. Vovika

Vovika
    Novice Member

Products Owned: