Anybody feel remotely sorry for JL?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by arby1, Nov 5, 2005.

1. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    although it is cool to be able to buy from a 'real' store with good customer service etc, i think most of us can admit the real reason we try and get a pricematch out of JL is the 5 year warranty which costs ~£500 from anywhere else. So we try and get the best of both worlds, internet prices, security of large chain store, AND a 5-year guarantee that even internet stores can't offer at the price. Do you think JL actually make a profit on some of these price-matches, particularly when you consider that i was on the phone for ages about price-matching and then they had to check them all out. I find it quite funny, i'm just suprised JL don't withdraw the 5 year guarantee on price-matches, or at least do it on a like-for-like basis with the warranty offered by the other company. Do you think this'll happen in the future?

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    As equipment has to last for a reasonable length of time (legally)
    I suspect JL would use it's bulk buying power to get the repairs under
    the five year warrenty done for nothing.

3. Del_RFC

Del_RFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For every person who gets JL to pricematch there will be 1000 others paying the full whack keeping Mr Lewis ticking over nicely.

Their game, their rules, their loss ..... my gain.

Del....

4. richardmc

richardmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the price-match available online? Whats the procedure for getting them to match a price?

5. arby1

arby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    don't get me wrong- i don't have any moral obligation against it, i got £450 knocked off this week, i just find it quite funny that for once the consumer is getting the better (or at least fair) deal

6. Del_RFC

Del_RFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to J Lewis store or website, select the model you fancy and do your homework online. Any site with a high street shop offering the same item at a lower price should be good enough for JL to pricematch. They will play funny buggers and try to worm out of it but persevere.

The rules are both high street stores must have stock on display and available. Dont take any **** from them, question the wording of their policy.

Three visits seen me save £350, get free delivery and a bumper 5 yr guarantee.

Well worth the legwork.

Del....

7. cammyuk

cammyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how far will JL go with the price match with the internet sites as im interested in the panny TH42PE50

edited just seen above post

8. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,436
    Ha! Ha! -- you're absolutely right. Their regular client include lot of people with a lot of money who just haven't got the inclination to research/haggle for prices. they just want the simplest, most reliable transaction.

I also think a pound profit is still a pound more than nothing! so JL don't care so much. I agree with them also.

I try to buy all my electricals pricematched from JL. So much more peace of mind and THAT 5 year warranty!