• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

anybody enjoying 720p on Netbook/ mini book.

Jed

Hi guys.

Still looking at getting a Netbook/mini for my day job :)

Is anybody enjoying 720p playback via Mplayer or other?

This is the breaker for me. I do have a 15.4" Dell but it's just too big for sitting on my dashboard in the van/car (Which it is mainly going to be used) i am getting a crick in the neck as i have it on the passenger seat :thumbsdow .

I do fancy the look of the Samsung NC20 12.1" but has a glossy screen (could this be a problem in the vehicle?. And also the N120 which a forum memeber suggested. Any veiws on these.

EDIT>>> Also what about sound volume clarity. I don't want to wear a pair of earphones but will the volume be good enough sitting in the vehicle?

I am toying with the idea of using some USB speakers fitted in the van but would require a set with long enough wires. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Jed.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The sound can definitely be pretty good on some of them (the first eees did, I don't know what the bigger ones are like though).

I'd avoid glossy screens in a car as you can't change position so the light isn't shining on them, although I don't know what the average brightness of the matt screens are like.

Last edited:

Jed

The sound can definitely be pretty good on some of them (the first eees did, I don't know what the bigger ones are like though).

I'd avoid glossy screens in a car as you can't change position so the light isn't shining on them, although I don't know what the average brightness of the matt screens are like.

Cheers mate. My dell now is never in direct sunlight but it sometime's is difficult to see when the sun is on the keyboard with it being silver.

Any more info on 720 people :)

psikey

Distinguished Member
Using a Samsung N110 with MPC-HC and CoreAVC to play 720p fine (needs deblocking option off on some 720p files to play smooth).

unique

the dell mini 9 can run 720p using VLC if you choose the right settings, at least with OSX it can. you would have to google up how to do it though. the mini9 is being discontinued and replaced with the mini 10, i'm not sure if it's the same processor or not. you can even overclock the graphics on the mini9 if you want to, but you don't need to to play 720p. you don't need core AVC either so you may be able to do it with XP and VLC or linux

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom