Anybody else had problems with Neff compact oven with microwave?

Neff grumbler

Novice Member
Reaction score
Had a new kitchen fitted kitchen designer recommend Neff as they are a supporter of them. Kitchen is finished and great not so the appliances especially neff single oven and compact oven with microwave. With digital controls if I had known what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. Controls are difficult to manage. The compact oven is at wrong height which means that I nearly burn my arms when trying to extract stuff out of oven because ordinary oven gloves do not cover that bit of your arm. Can use as micro wave but it's a bit of a waste. Anyone else hate it as much as I do?? Trying to persuade neff to change it

Isn't the height more of a kitchen design problem than appliance issue? Did you see the Appliance before you purchased this? Your contract is with the kitchen company not Neff. I think a sit down chat with the Kitchen Company to discuss might be in order?

Agreed with the above, however the designer probably showed that you images & talked you through it. Most appliances are fairly standard heights.

Ours is around chest height, so it is possible to catch you arm on the door I guess, but wife and I have yet to see it as an issue.

I have had a new kitchen fitted this year and have just had it tested to the limit at Christmas and have had terrible problems with most of my Neff appliances. I agree with everything that Neff Grumbler has said re the Combi Microwave (I have the C17MS32NOB) - touch screen controls do not always react - design of the door is terrible and I am constantly burning or bumping myself, the microwave is rubbish and I have to use the 1000 to heat in the same time as my old panasonic used to at 750. Single oven (B58VT28NOB) is a nightmare to understand how to use it, instructions for both ovens are impossible and timing foods with steam element is still a mystery and videos by Neff do not help in this matter. Fridge (K12823f30G) has drawers which seem to be quite flimsy and do not close correctly all the time (have to fiddle a bit sometimes), I have also got a couple of cracks in the plastic. Chimney hood (D39MH64N1B) even at full pelt has steam going around it instead of through it. Dishwasher (T41D90X2) - very poor at drying. It is VERY quiet though!
Neff UK/Euro customer services are terrible. I have already spoken to my kitchen designer in the last few months about some of these issues but apropos of Christmas I have her coming next week with a view to having Neff take things back as "not fit for purpose". Wish me luck.

Had a new kitchen fitted kitchen designer recommend Neff as they are a supporter of them. Kitchen is finished and great not so the appliances especially neff single oven and compact oven with microwave. With digital controls if I had known what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. Controls are difficult to manage. The compact oven is at wrong height which means that I nearly burn my arms when trying to extract stuff out of oven because ordinary oven gloves do not cover that bit of your arm. Can use as micro wave but it's a bit of a waste. Anyone else hate it as much as I do?? Trying to persuade neff to change it
I have the combi with a slide and hide below, I'm 5ft 9 and have to tiptoe to reach the back of the combi, also the control panels on both ovens have annoying intermittent problems where you can't turn them on, have to wipe the control panel and dry it before it comes to life, even though its clean. One other problem I'm having but don't seem to see anyone else mentioning it is that the etched NEFF logo comes off the handles, NEFF have replaced one set as a gesture of good will, and about 2 months later the new handles doing the same, this set splintered into my finger as I opened the door.

is anyone having the logo coming off the door handles, I have a combi and slide and hide below, on my second set of handles since install new last September 2015, NEFF replaced 1st set as a gesture of good will, 2 months later the second set splintered in my hand, no harm done really but another few weeks the logo will be off totally.

... the microwave is rubbish and I have to use the 1000 to heat in the same time as my old panasonic used to at 750. .
I also bought the same microwave and had the same problem on the heat issue compared with my old cheapo microwave. I have discovered why it is though!!
There is a design fault in this Neff microwave which means that if it is used at full power for 30 mins (as stated in the user manual) it risks causing a failure. So what BSH (who own Neff) have done is cheat their customers... They have incorporated secret software that reduces the power down to 600w after just 70 seconds of operation. The front panel still shows it is operating at 1000w however. This is why when you heat anything for say in excess of two minute it doesn't get as hot as even a 900w microwave!! Worse, if you heat a second item without switching off in between then the oven only operates at 600w (still shows 1000w) from the start.
This is scandalous.
After many emails and conversations with BSH UK they have refunded the full purchase cost to me (nearly ÂŁ900) and let me keep the microwave,. This is because they have admitted the software exists and this is what it does but they have no solution as the microwave is defective.
Anyone who has bought one of these defective units should do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nick, I have just bought a C17MR02N0B and have the same issue, heat a cup of water for 1 min on 1000w and it's hotter than using my 800w standalone microwave but increase this to 4mins for both and the one in the 800w microwave is hotter! I've called BSH who said 'we know nothing about this, it sounds like it's not working properly we'll send out an engineer'. Would be able to share the names of the people you dealt with please?

Hi, yes that's exactly the issues I discovered. It's dreadful that BSH are still denying any knowledge of this. I don't know if their engineers have been told why this happens- the one who visited my house confirmed there was a problem when I demonstrated the problem to him by heating a cup of water for 2 minutes, but he couldn't explain it. By the way the test their engineer will do to 'prove' the microwave works ok is a sham- they heat a litre of liquid for 1 minute (it does operate at full power for up to 70seconds) and measure the temp rise to work out the power output, but then they add 200 watts to the result to get to the figure they want! Mine was 1080 watts apparently.
I ended up dealing directly with Catherine Walsh (who was very helpful) who is at [email protected]
In the end I was dealing with Karl Ullrich, who is their Group Manager, Customer Service Technology. who's at [email protected] and (0)344 892 9049
It was he who finally offered me the full refund of the purchase cost. He also admitted to me that the secret software in the machine only lets the machine operate at full power for 70 seconds.
I've got lots more info if you need it!
Good luck. Nick

Thanks for all the information Nick. Much appreciated.

My neff oven, microwave combination, induction hob, warming drawer and downdraft extractor have been sat in a box for 9 months while renovating the house. Finally getting round to installing them today.

Ive got a BT58VT68N0B oven.. Gets an error code E5116 when using vario steam. Shuts off.

I've got a C18MT37N0B microwave combination oven. Will test this tomorrow to see if it has the same issue as the other models.

The touch screens on both are poor. They don't seem very responsive at all.

I would expect better quality on ÂŁ1k+ ovens. Unacceptable. I will be contacted neff to see what they have to say about things and update when they do.

Hello TheToe,

We were wondering how you are getting on with the C18MT37NOB microwave combination oven? Have you found any issues with the microwave element? We have been having problems with ours not heating as it should and already commenced discussions with Neff. Would be good to have feedback from someone with exactly the same model.

Thanks

Hi, yes that's exactly the issues I discovered. It's dreadful that BSH are still denying any knowledge of this. I don't know if their engineers have been told why this happens- the one who visited my house confirmed there was a problem when I demonstrated the problem to him by heating a cup of water for 2 minutes, but he couldn't explain it. By the way the test their engineer will do to 'prove' the microwave works ok is a sham- they heat a litre of liquid for 1 minute (it does operate at full power for up to 70seconds) and measure the temp rise to work out the power output, but then they add 200 watts to the result to get to the figure they want! Mine was 1080 watts apparently.
I ended up dealing directly with Catherine Walsh (who was very helpful) who is at [email protected]
In the end I was dealing with Karl Ullrich, who is their Group Manager, Customer Service Technology. who's at [email protected] and (0)344 892 9049
It was he who finally offered me the full refund of the purchase cost. He also admitted to me that the secret software in the machine only lets the machine operate at full power for 70 seconds.
I've got lots more info if you need it!
Good luck. Nick

Thanks for your hard work in uncovering this abominable situation.
Did BSHG give any indications of when they're going to fix the fault or when they're releasing an upgraded model?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have c17mr02- what a disaster! Already been to service people (who didn't care) and on Friday the ceramic plate above grill element exploded! Same problem with heating and controls as everyone else. Going to supplier - kitchen company with 'special' deal on neff appliances. Main oven seems okay. Hob is awful. Wish I had stuck with my original choice of appliances.

Thanks for all the information Nick. Much appreciated.

My neff oven, microwave combination, induction hob, warming drawer and downdraft extractor have been sat in a box for 9 months while renovating the house. Finally getting round to installing them today.

Ive got a BT58VT68N0B oven.. Gets an error code E5116 when using vario steam. Shuts off.

I've got a C18MT37N0B microwave combination oven. Will test this tomorrow to see if it has the same issue as the other models.

The touch screens on both are poor. They don't seem very responsive at all.

I would expect better quality on ÂŁ1k+ ovens. Unacceptable. I will be contacted neff to see what they have to say about things and update when they do.

Nick, thanks for the information, sad to hear that this 'premium' brand starts to feel like a big miss on our end.

We purchased a few Neff products:

• 2 diswashers,
  • an oven from NEFF (B58VT68N0)
  • a microwave (C17GR00N0)
  • a freezer
I still need to test if I face similar issues with the micro, but I am in fact only able to select 900 watts as a max.

First experiences:

The oven is an instant disappointment, Like you I got an E5116 followed by a E5135. Curious to hear if yours was resolved and if so how?

Hello TheToe,

We were wondering how you are getting on with the C18MT37NOB microwave combination oven? Have you found any issues with the microwave element? We have been having problems with ours not heating as it should and already commenced discussions with Neff. Would be good to have feedback from someone with exactly the same model.

Thanks
Sorry for not updating.. Neff engineer came out end of September.

Engineer said they were both fine. The missus seen him as I was in work. So just palmed her off. 60sec water test. Must be pressing the touchscreen wrong etc.

I've been preoccupied with doing work on the house and Xmas, etc though so being honest I haven't even bothered getting back in touch with them to complain or take the issue any further.

I don't even use the microwave function on the oven (still using cheapo old table top argos microwave.. Hehe)

I will be on the phone to them in the next few weeks though after I finiah this damn loft conversion and will hopefully remember to update the thread!

Nick, thanks for the information, sad to hear that this 'premium' brand starts to feel like a big miss on our end.

We purchased a few Neff products:

• 2 diswashers,
  • an oven from NEFF (B58VT68N0)
  • a microwave (C17GR00N0)
  • a freezer
I still need to test if I face similar issues with the micro, but I am in fact only able to select 900 watts as a max.

First experiences:

The oven is an instant disappointment, Like you I got an E5116 followed by a E5135. Curious to hear if yours was resolved and if so how?
Sorry for late reply mate...

Just remembered the thread... Same as above not really took the issues any further. Been busy.

The vario steam issue is fixed. The engineer swapped the steam unit.. Been fine since. Use it quite often, dunno what difference it makes to the roast though hehe.

But I'm no Gordon Ramsey anyway!

The touchscreens on both oven and combi oven engineer said they were fine. Told the missus we were not pressing them properly. They continue to be very poor and unresponsive. As nick has mentioned. If you open the door after turning oven on they don't work for ages. So that's a good demo to show engineer.

I've recorded on my phone some videos of the touchscreen just not working to show them when I eventually get round to sorting it.

Again, will update thread when get round to hassle them again.

Sorry

We have a Neff Combi Microwave Type HT5HB86K

I’m not sure where to start with this! I certainly need help – I really am becoming desperate – and I mean “DESPERATE”.

For several months, maybe years, the house electrics have been “playing up”, a variety of “similar” problems – various ring mains electrical devices keep tripping the mains fuse box (the outdoor fish pond pump, the washing machine heater element, the washing machine motor etc). All these have been progressively replaced – but still problems.

Then it was the turn of the Combi Microwave! Obviously these are expensive units, so I looked at getting it repaired by Neff. Accordingly an appointment was made. I then thought I ought to at least clean it out ready for the visit the next day. By chance I switched it on….you’ve guessed it – it worked!!! Weird. I cancelled the visit.

This happened again last summer. When I explained all this to an electrician who was helping with some lighting alterations in the lounge he suggested it could be the actual circuit board. This seemed logical to me since several different items were tripping the board. So the board was replaced (by a Wylex ).

Next………A week before Christmas and my wife had used the microwave for 2 minutes, took her porridge out, stirred it, back in, close door…….fuse blown – couldn’t believe it! So I again contacted Neff and arranged for a callout – I think we actually recorded some notes against my name on your database?

But before I could clean it again the toaster blew the fuse!!!! This time I was able to take the toaster to a local repair shop to be tested. The chap plugged it in “Nowt wrong there mate”. I took it home – plugged it in – worked fine! We then replaced the specific RCBO from the Wylex board – thinking that, even though it was only a few months old, perhaps it wasn’t quite as “strong” as it could be. I thought we were clutching at straws! Well at least the microwave now worked!

So to last Sunday evening – once again the microwave tripped the RCBO. Each time I plug it into the ring mains and switch on, it trips. I even tried plugging it into a different part of the ring mains (not just a different socket using an extension cable but a different socket on a separate ring mains circuit (with a separate RCBO)). Again it tripped the board. Twice yesterday (Monday) I retried – failed both times – but this morning, guess what? All OK – works fine. This is bizarre.

I am more than willing for an engineer to visit….but to be called out to an appliance that works?????? Could the magnetron be degrading? Could the insulation on it be breaking down causing it to earth? Can the unit be tested?

I do think that it is the microwave – the toaster could have been a “one off” – but I am really, really baffled by this.

Any assistance would be most gratefully received! Obviously we have a problem here AND each time the RCBO trips then the lighting circuit also goes and all the units on the ring mains (including Sky Box and pc !!!) which causes problems. I’m not happy going on holiday next week leaving the children in this situation.

Update - Neff Customer Service have suggested that I get the appliance "hard wired" into the (main cooker / hob / 35A????) circuit? But that is odd - would it not earth no matter what the rating? and I would have to incorporate a fused (13A) spur????????

Cheers Stuart

Maybe I haven't understood correctly but it sounds like you could do with an electrician to sort out the ring mains and check the wiring generally.

For example we have two ring mains for sockets and one has the highest draw areas on it - kitchen, laundry, one bedroom, living room and dining room. The other has the family room and three bedrooms on it plus two bathrooms.

Here the ring mains are 10A but same principle. We have the washing machine running plus a diashwasher and then whatever appliance we start will often trip the MCB. Kettle, microwave, sandwich toaster......

Nothing wrong with the wiring itself - we simply need a third (at least) ring main at 10A, or as has been suggested to you choose some appliances to hard wire into higher amperage wiring or new higher amperage circuits.

Using an existing 35A cooker circuit may be ok. It depends what the rating of your cooker is as that drives the minimum recommended circuit capacity. If a qualified/competent electrician says there is capacity in the circuit for a microwave with the cooker at full blast plus safety margin, then that would work.

I am assuming there is no fault with the microwave here. Your history says replacing the other things didn't fix the fault. The tripping not being consistently every time the microwave is plugged in and switched in (or started) indicates there is no short circuit type fault drawing excessive current. Look at what else you have in the same circuit and what the total current draw is when the circuit trips.

Any qualified/competent electrician could test the microwave for low resistance type faults - NEFF certainly can do that safely without blowing up the internals. If there is no fault then as above you will need to sort the amperage rating of the circuit the microwave is connected too - whatever way you have available to do that is up to you since no option will be free unless you are particulary handy with electrics and then it would be cheaper.

We have put up with our limitations as being the cheapest option - free. Before starting the microwave or other high draw appliance we make sure only one of the dishwasher, washing machine, kettle, toasters etc or dryer is on. Never fails to stop the trip occurring. :)

@StuartMB You likely have a neutral to earth leakage somewhere on the ring main ... and it will almost certainly be at some termination point.
In other words it is a wiring fault - Nothing to do with your appliances.
Probably something like the screw of an accessory partially contacting an incoming neutral lead at the back of it...or a poorly stripped cable shorting on a metal back box.

If you have someone who knows what they are doing, they can keep splitting the circuit until they localise and find the culprit... otherwise it is just a case of carefully checking every termination on the circuit.

Last edited:
You likely have a neutral to earth leakage somewhere on the ring main ... and it will almost certainly be at some termination point.
In other words it is a wiring fault - Nothing to do with your appliances.
Probably something like the screw of an accessory partially contacting an incoming neutral lead at the back of it.

If you have someone who knows what they are doing, they can keep splitting the circuit until they localise and find the culprit... otherwise it is just a case of carefully checking every termination on the circuit.
Me or the OP? :)

More likely to be a wiring fault I agree but his ring mains may be totally inadequate for the current draw on them like mine are. The OP can check that easily before getting somebody who knows what they are doing look for faults. We can't tell what else is on the one ring main each time the microwave apparently trips the MCB.

Me or the OP? :)

Apologies - I was responding to StuartMB - I should have been clearer.
More likely to be a wiring fault I agree but his ring mains may be totally inadequate for the current draw on them like mine are. The OP can check that easily before getting somebody who knows what they are doing look for faults. We can't tell what else is on the one ring main each time the microwave apparently trips the MCB.

Because of what the OP describes in the latter part of his post, I'm interpreting his post to mean that it is not an MCB tripping ( i.e. an overcurrent) but an earth leakage circuit breaker that is knocking everything off. ( Maybe he can clarify)

There may be an unfortunate conjunction of a circuit wiring fault AND a faulty appliance... but the description of the various faults really suggests a ring circuit wiring fault.

Apologies - I was responding to StuartMB - I should have been clearer.

Because of what the OP describes in the latter part of his post, I'm interpreting his post to mean that it is not an MCB tripping ( i.e. an overcurrent) but an earth leakage circuit breaker that is knocking everything off. ( Maybe he can clarify)

There may be an unfortunate conjunction of a circuit wiring fault AND a faulty appliance... but the description of the various faults really suggests a ring circuit wiring fault.
Ah yes - I was automatically thinking an MCB was tripping rather than an earth leakage device :facepalm:

As an aside...I wasn't aware of 10 Amp ring mains being used in Australia.

It is pretty much a universal standard in the UK that domestic ring mains are rated at 30 Amps, (or 32 amps with close protection) so circuit capacity should not be an issue in this case.

As an aside...I wasn't aware of 10 Amp ring mains being used in Australia.

It is pretty much a universal standard in the UK that domestic ring mains are rated at 30 Amps, (or 32 amps with close protection) so circuit capacity should not be an issue in this case.
Yep - sockets are all 10 A and the ring is protected at 16A. Higher currents on seperate circuits for cookers and the like. I am aware that ring main is technically the incorrect term in the UK and that the cables in that system are smaller than required in a radial system.

Our protection is 16A and that trips if we use 3 or 4 high current appliances. Each socket draw may well be over the 10A at that point :love::blush: No fuse in the plug which is what the UK system relies upon I believe to a degree.

Earth leakage protection here isn't a 'thing' in older properties and when I say older I mean about 10 years later than the UK at least. Our house is about 30 years old and although upgraded to MCBs that's it.

That's why I forgot the UK residual current protection - for me that is something I can add in sockets etc if I want to. The only trip I have is MCB.

All a bit laid back here - in bathrooms we have normal sockets and light switches next to the sink and inside the door. The zones are a little more relaxed! :laugh:

Neff is owned by bosch so try complaining to them instead as far bigger brand and bad pr is not good.
BTW I work for bosch (different division) and don't want to see any unhappy customers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom