Anybody else annoyed at only packages?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by AudioSlim, May 8, 2007.

1. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Anbody else feel ripped off over the fact that you cant seem to get a base wii without a load of crap games thrown in?

I know I do, picked up a wii from Toy'r'us yesterday and had to pay 260 quid to get it with Wario Moves, Cars and Fruit something or other, no of which I wanted in the slightest.

I see this purely as profiteering, nothing more nothing less, in fact I think a letter is coming on here to be fired at Toy'r'us and also Nintendo to see what they have to say for themselves.

Am I alone in this or are you all of the same opinion?

Slim

2. neiltc13

neiltc13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you had waited until today you could've ordered your Wii from Gameplay with any game you wanted.

3. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Or just put a £20 deposit down at Gamestation and get it with any games you want.

4. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Yeah , I know there was the odd base package around but I wanted to pick up from store yesterday rather than rely on the hit and miss online ordering system of places.

Phoned everybody I could think of, Currys wanted 370 quid, god knows what it came with for that price.

Profiteering pure and simple.

Slim

5. gingerninja72

gingerninja72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No one forced you to buy it! You can always flog the games you don't like on eBay if you feel that upset about it...

6. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Very true, but that's not the point. The point is that this is profiteering pure and simple. It'ld be no better or worse if they'd inflated the price of the wii beyond the RRP (except that would probably annoy Nintendo directly).

It's snakes trick at the end of the day. Yeah I'm all for supply and demand affecting prices but this isnt the case. This is the case of 'lets throw in the 3 poorest games to get rid of them' scenario.

S

7. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If people refused to buy bundles, then they wouldn't sell them. By buying one, you're encouraging them to keep using this sales tactic.

I got my Wii from Amazon, who don't use this bundling trick.

8. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm not annoyed, I'm so not annoyed that I felt the need to post it here. I'm suprised anyone can remember what a Wii is let alone bother to buy one. What's it been, 2 years since it launched and the 250 units they had for sale in Britain went to their lucky plucky owners?

As has been said, you could have chosen not to buy one until you could buy just what you wanted, surely you've waited so long a few more days/weeks wouldn't have made any difference?

9. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Very true but I couldnt find one in the shop without a bundle for the life of me and I tried everywhere.

If I'ld have been patient and order online I would have stood a better chance.

The Currys one was the best though, the only package they do is 350 quid or so!!!.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when commiting highway robbery ;)

Slim

10. fortean

fortean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The bundle requirement has been made by Nintendo from what I understand; the shops just have to do as they're told. I took a friend to my son's shop to buy one on Sunday and he just couldn't sell it without the games; any games of your choice though.

11. ape1

ape1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got mine a few weeks ago in the local Virgin shop on its own...no games bundle..but I did buy the Wii Play for the remote at the same time...However if only a bundel was on offer I would have gone for that rather than pass up a Wii.

12. lovethechang

lovethechang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    When i was looking for my Wii I went into gamestation (albeit, the one i go in quite regularly) and was told I could order just the base package, without the need to buy any of the add on games/other bits. You just need to ask.

13. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is known as being bundle f***ed I believe :D

It's not the retailer's fault entirely. I've been told there's so little profit in these games consoles, they make more money on the software. Hence the need to push bundles. I think if Nintendo had set the rrp for the Wii at £190 and given the retailers a bit more profit, things might be different.

I do agree though, there are some terrible overpriced bundles being released with pants games. Gamestation seem to be offering some good deals though, which is great if you like their limited set of games.

14. Looeewoo

Looeewoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It's been reported many times on this forum that Game will take back and refund any games you don't want in their packages.

Likes of Gamestation allow you to pick the games in your bundle too, so unless you just want to play Wii Sports then I can't see any issues with that deal.

15. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I bought a 360 at Game last weekend and was told I couldn't swap games on the same day anymore from a bundle deal. I would have to go back the following day and I'd only get the standard trade in price for doing so.

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I think it all depends on the individual stores and who you talk to.

17. dannius

dannius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +356
    That's a load of old tosh you've been told there. Nintendo haven't forced the retailers into selling bundles, they just supply the console and games and the retailers are creating bundles to increase their own profits. Hence why places like Amazon, Argos etc can sell only the console.

Does your son work for Game or someone? Likely that comes from head office I would imagine.

I believe it was well publicised when the Wii price point was announced that Nintendo wanted to sell the console at £150, but bowed to retailer pressure to sell at £179 to allow for a higher profit margin.

I agree that bundles are out of order, personally I think there should be some sort of law against this type of profiteering by retailers. It seems to be unique to games consoles though, electrical retailers don't tell you that you can't buy that new DVD player unless you purchase a SCART lead and a bundle of films do they?

Still, if people are really against bundles then the best option is to go elsewhere. Most shops who are out of stock will get you a Wii within a few days now, and online retailers like Amazon are getting regular stock.

18. ginetta

ginetta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not really, just annoyed that the majority of boxes seem to be those sold as bundles.. Personally I've ordered with shopto.net, 175, pre-ordered. Of course there's also Argos and John Lewis. Gamestation were almost a possibility, but they never have *all* of the games I would want with one, and their cheaper bundles are from a selection of games, i.e. ones I don't really want, ho hum!!

Will see how long shopto take to deliver!!

:))

19. alkasteveh

alkasteveh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's not illegal and it's hardly going to be made unlawful either. They're entirely within their rights to offer you a product at a price and you are within your rights make an offer on their products - either party is free to decline or accept. Just don't feel you have to accept what's on offer though, most people do though which is why they make a profit on these bundles.

Sucks, but it's a big bad world out there.

20. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also heard from people who've taken their Games back to Comet.

Amazon may be getting regular stock, but as one of about 3 retailers that release non-bundled Wii consoles this stock is still lasting just minutes. We haven't seen Woolworths release anything for about 2 weeks and John Lewis appear to be going down the bundle route.

21. Randell

Randell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    That's just not true. Curry's do several bundles. I got one for £279 with Wii Play, Zelda and Super Monkey Ball, which was cool, as they were all games the kids and I wanted anyway.

22. mouseymousey

mouseymousey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you haven't already taken the games back, or opened them, then I'd ask to see a copy of thier returns policy.

Certianly the online policy, available on the website, lets you return bundled games. The only problem is you then have to pay full value for the other items in the bundle and your refund is adjusted accordingly.

I did this when I bought my Wii from Game.co.uk, I sent back the 2 games I didn't want and got a refund no problem.

With regards to the original question, yes it does anny me that you have to buy a bundle.

23. ginetta

ginetta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Wii console should be delivered today from www.shopto.net and no I am in no way affiliated to that site! It happened a lot quicker than I expected and is for a console only, they also have good deals on Wii Play and Wii Points, plus you can get quidco.com, 4% back and (!) if a friend recommends products to you and you buy them the friend gets £1 credit! :)) Excellent value, esp. as the console is 175, delivered. Recommended. Basically get someone to recommend the items you want, before you buy and they can get £1 credit, for each item!!

24. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i ended up getting lucky and Ealing Argos had a single Wii available :)

but im annoyed by the bundle thing......i wouldnt mind if they said bundle but you choose the games.....but they dont (not in the advert anyhow) you have to take their choices....and generally you will get maybe one game thats of any quality, the other two will be a pile of poo......i'd have gone for a bundle if it had Zelda in it, then i'd have tried to sell off the other two games.....but nope, none of the bundles had zelda :rolleyes: but i got lucky, Argos had a Wii in stock on its own, AND if you bought a game you got £10 off it, or two games and get £20 off, so got me Zelda and for my nephew Super Monkey Ball :D

25. Panther23

Panther23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought mine today to Morrisons for £179 and it was last 1 :clap: