Anybody compared a PC and PB SVS?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Kazman, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Has anyone ever done a back to back comparison of the PC+ range of subs and the PB box subs from SVS?

In particular, I'm interested in knowing how the 20-39PC+ and 25-31PC+ compare with a PB2+.

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    The PB2+ has has the same driver as the cylinders but twice as many! :devil:
    I know where my money would lie for the strongest competetor.
    Didn't Smurfin swap his PB2+ for a PC-Ultra or a 20-39+?

3. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Yes but he liked his pb2+ didn't you smurfin?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Smurfin went from PB2 to PC Ultra. If I recall correctly he had space constraints when he moved and the PB2 was too large.

Unless you live in a very large room you will not need anything more powerful than a PC Plus. My room is 18 * 13 and I play mine regularly at reference level and it never shows a sign of getting anywhere near struggling point.

If most of only bought what we needed, life could be very disappointing :D

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Kazman
    If you get the pb2+ you will get the frying pan on the head more than once :laugh: as its very large and very heavy you may even have trouble getting it in to your loft.The pc ultra would be a better bet stock tuned to 20hz you cant realise what these subs sound like till you hear feel one they do truly go very low and clean, press the buy it now button its even worth a lump on the head. :D
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I heard Smurfins PB2, that was one hell of a beast of a subwoofer, it was huge, there is no way I would get away with that. If they are using the same 'Plus' driver, then I'm not too fussed. I might get two PC+ subs instead, but that will happen later after the loft conversion. I will get just the one for now :). Now I can't wait to get back from the States :). I can envisage me putting my order in by the end of August, (My birthday is on the 12th of Sept, so it could be a nice BDay pressie to myself :D).

7. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Certainly did, but my discontent with the Ultra I think came down to the room differences. Kazman, if you can't fit in the PB-2 Plus, then buy the PC Ultra if you can afford it. No idea how much of an improvement it is over the 20-39, but buy the best you can:)

Wish someone was in a position to compare the 20-39 with the Ultra, I wonder how much difference there would really be?

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Matt
    i did ask the same question to Tom v as my mate said he would buy mine at full value and i would upgrade to the ultra,His reply was you would only notice the difference in a large room as the ultra as more headroom and would go louder so wouldnt really be worth it,Having said that i should imagine the bass should sound slightly better as the ultra driver is very well made.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Its very shiny. I wish to put a mirror under mine to gloat at its superior shinyness and the beautiful finish on the cone assembly............................... then theres that giant magnet :eek:

My wife loves the look of it ........chortle :rolleyes:

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I really don't understand SVS when they say the better driver sounds the same, it just goes louder. This is completely illogical to me and is contradicted by people who have upgraded.

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    We dont know its better....it just costs more and is far, far shinier than a shiny thing, which impresses me no end............but then ..................................................I am a Jackdaw. Squawk.

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    To me they are kinda calling people who buy the high-end products (without the need for grotesquely high output levels) idiots and the people who upgrade to the high-end products idiots and liars. Maybe a bit harsh, but thats how they make me feel.

13. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Well they could say that you need to buy the very best and spend the most money and that their top of the range driver is in a different league and that you definitely need it.
    Instead they are probably being something very rare for a commercial enterprise, honest, ie. the ultra driver is better and will cost more but most people probably would not notice the difference in everyday use unless they have a very large room.
    One of the nice things about svs is that they do not tend to try and sell you their most expensive products if your needs do not require them, you can email the founders of the company who design the products and you will get an honest appraisal of what will suit.
    I no way needed a pb2+ but I went ahead and ordered one anyway, saving myself upgraditis which I am very prone to.
    Interestingly enough, peeps in the States who have owned plus and ultras say that the ultra has a definitely different tone that they (usually) prefer.
    Svs are not boasting about that though, they are just continuing to develop their products and give us consumers a choice at lots of different price points.
    Long may they do so!

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I think that you are being a bit harsh.

Using a motoring analogy the Porsche Boxster is an excellent sports car that will do everything that most people will want to an exceptionally high level yet Porsche also sell the Boxster S which is that bit better and will perform to higher levels but no-one calls Boxster S drivers idiots because they won't be constantly using all of that extra performance.

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Does that S stand for shinier...........................I would definitely buy it :smashin: Squawk or does it stand for Soundshaping............mmmmmm pa-ra-metric equa-liser I just love saying that.

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    My economy model doesn't sport one of them things but I have found it equally effective to move the wife around the room until she is standing in the right spot to soak up the peaks & nulls and anything else floating around.

17. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I don't think harsh is the word here - I know that you are entitled to your opinion like anyone else, but I think your comments are unfounded, and outrageous. As someone who has (after what I feel to be very sound and professional advice) bought a PB2+, I feel actually quite the opposite to you......

18. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Spouse-a-metric equaliser................cool

mind you after reading this through again, Im not sure we are talking about sub woofers at all :eek:

19. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    That's maybe because you went for the product with the inferior drivers. Do you feel that people buying the PB2 Ultra are wasting money and won't benefit from an improvement in sound quality? The person who went from 2 PB2- pluses to 2 PC-Ultras and raved about the improvement, is he a liar? You have SV customers saying there is a big improvement and SV the company say there isn't, most people would conclude SV know what they are talking about and the customers are wishful thinkers. Maybe this is true, SV do benefit from making sure bread and butter products aren't under valued.

20. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Why don't you go argue the drivers point with Ron or Tom?

Your posts seem angry to me for no apparent reason. Arrange a blind test to see if people can really tell the difference at lower volumes between the drivers if it bothers you so much. I for one would be interested in the results.

21. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Actually it doesn't bother me at all, at the end of the day I bought the PC Ultra for it's enjoyement value, not to show off or prove how at performs in relation to other products. When it gets to the point when you feel the need for a blind test to justify every purchase then it's time to give up the hobby.