1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody compare region 1 & 2 SW-ZE PHANTOM MENACE?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rachael Bitchlist, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Is there any substantial difference between the two besides that slight menu cut I just read about? I mean is the mix the same? more or less bass? It was suggested on the AVS forum by an Italian poster that the region 2 British release sounded superior. Is it so, or another case of t'aint so?
    Thanx for any opinion or data. Best wishes from Rachael across the sea!

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rachel, I'm finishing up a R1 vs UK R2 vs R4 comparison.

No difference in Picture (all have the EE :()

Personally couldn't tell any difference in Sound Mix or LFE for that matter. Theres a slight difference in the editing of The Beginning Documentaries swearing. And the R2/R4 discs have more Subs.

Jenz.

3. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    long time no speak racheal

what are you doing enquiring about the dvd :eek:

i thought you had the japanese laserdisc, dont tell me you've given up on the format.

if you do have the laser (and the dvd) how do they compare, audio wise, as i believe with regards to picture there shouldn't be much competition.

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Jenz, I too prefer the LD's sound. The scene where Quidon saves Jah Jah and the hovering tank passes over them as they lay on the ground is very impressive on LD. The tank's engine rumble growls deeply on the LD. It's a whimper on the DVD.

The DVD has alot of bass, but it's not as deep in some key scenes. The LD's picture is awfully close to the DVD's if viewed on an LD-S9 or HLD-X9.
    The colour is pretty much identical as far as I can tell. The LD has a few more lines drifting, but way less EE.

The film is so processed that it's possible resolution on DVD is way below, well, what folks have come to expect. The film's quality varied wildly from scene to scene at the cinema. I saw it there 3 times. The scenes with digital aliens added always looked grainey.

Stille, I'm suprised the DVD doesn't look atleast a little better! I had the LD in the HLD-X9 and the DVD in a Sony 9000ES progressive player. I was watching about 20 minutes on each, then pausing and switching formats.

I have a 36" Sony XBR wega that's hi-def capable. When you're seeing EE on this size display, I shudder to think how bad it is on a projector. I'm gonna drop by my favourite hi-end dealer and see for myself on their projector.

I like the LD better. But, I have an HLD-X9 to play it on, which makes alot of difference. I don't think you could put the DVD in an extramely hi-end DVD player and see much difference...?

I did like the the added scenes at the pod race. In all fairness, I've only watched the DVD all the way thru one time. I've seen the LD atleast a dozen times. We are creatures of habit. I'm used to how the LD looks and sounds. At first glance the DVD is awfully mediocre!!!

I, seriously, think the big delay in the DVD's release could of been because Lucas was searching for a way to drag it's resolution up. It's a theory that sort'a fits the facts.

Brevis, even the Japanese aren't issuing LDs these dayz, I think the very last one has been pressesd. I like DVD too!!! Anyway, Japanese Muse LDs stoped in '97 with SHOWGIRLS. I bought a Muse decoder when I got the X9. I decided I wanted to see everything the X9 did.

I have 6 Muse LDs already. I'll have 3 more soon. JURASSIC PARK is spectacular on Muse. There are very few occasions where you see any, that's any line's vibrating on Muse. The LD format has about 700 interlaced lines in a 16 x 9 frame. On my 6 discs the only place I noticed lines moving was in CHAPLIN. In a early scene Robert Downey Jr.'s finely checkered jacket vibrates.

That's it so far out of the 6 discs. The only Muse disc I have that looks lousy is BASIC INSTINCT. The DVD is much better, although parts of the LD look great, even better...But some of the indoor scenes on the LD are very noisey with a red hue. BI is one of the first few Muse releases.

There are occasional colour lapses that are most visable on facial fleshtones in occasional scenes. JURASSIC PARK has about a half dozen scenes mildly affected. Otherwise, it's amazing. The only distraction is the Japanese sub's in the bottom of the frame. I get oblivious to them since I can't read a word!

It seems the sub's are a small price to pay to watch video at this resolution. We need a super DVD format with 700 lines!

So, I'm exploring some Japanese LDs lately. The rest of us got the shaft compared to the LD quality they got. Their NTSC LDs are mostly quite superior. If your colour temperature is set on U.S. NTSC standard, they look dark. Once you adjust for them they look very good. I got several in the past year since they were marked down.

Brevis, proper DVDs of recent movies should, well, do look beter on DVD, usually. SWPM is nearly questionable! So, I'm into DVDs, not just LDs! I look for the old movies on LD or music material these dayz. And, I might score a few more Muse LDs?

There's only about 60 movie titles anyway. I'll be avoiding the early releases with weaker pics. There's only about a half dozen more I want, anyway...

Maybe the Laserlist will fire back up some. Grant, wrote up a question on it about 2 weeks ago. Otherwise, it's auh, way silent. Best wishes to you guys! I should drop in more often, I've been a-miss..... :)!

6. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    muse ld

is that te same as the hdld that was kicking around in the early nineties 1125 lines i believe and £80, $120 a disc, alas still in surround.

when did you get hold of an hldx9

last i heard you'd just got hold of the lds9 and were rather pleased with the aquisition.

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Brevis, isn't it time U got a new name to add to your fabulous list of formers?

I got the S9 a year and a half ago. I decided since I have so many LDs I want to play for a long, long time that I would get an X9 too. I've had it for about six weeks. Muse, H-Vision is analog hi-def, 1035i for broadcasting. The Muse LD format is about 700 lines.

The U.S. and Europe could of had Muse TV 10 or more years ago. Broadcasters, the MPAA, and like stoped it. It's shame it beats the dickens out of NTSC or PAL. I won't hget an extensive collection of Muse LDs, but the 15 or so I'll have will be showcase material.

I'll be moving my S9 to my bedroom TV soon. For now, it's on my main system to compare with the X9. The S9 is very close to as good. I feel set-up for te future where there are no new players. Best wishes!

8. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

that sounds like a challenge

9. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :devil:! Brevis, would I issue a challenge here on planet hooston? It's just that I've come to expect a new name for you on a regular basis. Do U need my help selecting one?

my top ten suggestions:

10. untitled

9. sillysauros

8. jax-axe

7. blank hank

6. automatic wedgie

5. heysus' duce

4. thank hank

3. lost in austin

2. que pasta

1. the lone stranger (rides again)

Jenz, what LD player do ya'all use these daze? Just curious......? Best wishes cats!