Anybody bought or have info on the Arcam DV88Plus???

S

sharon

Has anybody bought themselves an Arcam DV88Plus yet? I have a Panasonic TH-42PW4B and having now hooked my US Gamecube and seen what that looks like (try Starfox for the ultimate example of how good a game can look) I'm desperate to feed it with a decent DVD signal.

I've seen the Arcam for sale for £990.90 and if I'm reading everything right, it's NTSC and PAL progressive scan and it should I believe be free of the glitches on mod(ed) Pioneer DV747 and Denon2800's. I also want to know if it's one of the player that will output PAL progressive from any PAL DVD disk? But I'm a non-techie girlie :kisses: and need to know if this is the best DVD source for my screen, at semi-resonable money that is. Any advice would be really great, thank you.

One last thing, I'm always impatient with these things so I want to buy the best DVD that is available now so I can play at the weekend

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon, I've had a DV88+ for about 3 weeks now and it's wonderful. It does do PAL and NTSC prog scan out of the box and as far as I know once it's on all discs output prog scan. Check out the DVD player forum, a few people including John Dawson from ARCAM have been talking about it.

John.

Hello...

Just upgraded my DV88 to the Plus spec...

Have not tried the prog scan bit yet... though the menus offer the following :

Off
Auto (i.e if you put in a NTSC disc it will output Prog scan but I presume leave PAL alone
On - Progscan for PAL/NTSC

HTH

Matt

P.S Great machine.. now I need to buy a new telly..

Yes I went out and bought one myself, and yes it's a stunning picture when pushing out progressive scan (either NTSC or PAL). As far as I can see that third option delivers a progressive picture from any PAL disk - and the real difference shows through on disks that are not great quality wise, rather than a pristine transfer such as Lord of the Rings. Can any confirm that no matter what disk is put in, it will give out a progressive scan picture?

Sharon

Sharon,

You're correct..... you'll get a progressive (deinterlaced) output for all discs.

Brian.

HI
I have the none + diva 88 but with a handset hack for PAL PSCAN is there a difference in PSCAN mode between the two models
P@

Matt, I've got the original DV88 too but I was told by Arcam that they aren't doing upgrades yet and may not do them at all. How did you get yours done???

Thanks
Mark

Sharon..
Good choice in home cinema i to have the panny th42pw4b and its easily the best for performance+price combi.
Ive got the arcam dv27 which is basically the same as the dv88 a great system. Id definately go for the dv88, plays reg1+2+rce and reg 1 +2 prog scan without taking your player to the operating room soldering chips in etc.
Ive also got an american(purple)gamecube. .....weird.

Hope this makes up your mind.

Just noticed the date on your thread youve probably had the dv88 for over 3 weeks now:D

Thanks danny, but no you are wrong - only had the DV88+ for two weeks :blush: !! And yes it is superb... thanks everyone for the advice

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom