1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody bought from Europe?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lobo, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anybody bought any projectors from Europe. Prices look cheaper over there, especially for the Optoma H78 machine.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    A long time ago, yes. Got mine from Germany, about 20% off best UK price.

3. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can i ask where you bought from, how it was delivered and if you had any problems. Also, what did you buy?

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I can't comment on whether they are any good, except for my own experience some years ago.

www.hifiregler.de

Although their website is wholly in German, they were quite happy to deal by email in (perfect) English.

It was a Sony VW10HT.

It was supplied and shipped just fine. BTW, there's no extra taxes/duty to pay when buying from the EU. You pay all the relevant taxes (VAT etc) in the country of purchase - just as if you had bought here - but at their rates.

Just one thing; they were reluctant to take a Credit Card. They added a shipping charge of about GBP50 (which would have otherwise been free), but I chose to pay it anyway, small price for the safety of credit card use, in preference to a Bank Transfer (which they would have preferred). I sent them the card number by PAPER mail - not email.

5. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you buy from Europe using your Credit Card, what protection does that give you? Does it protect you against receiving damaged goods or not receiving them at all?

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    It's not about buying from Europe. It's about buying anything from anyone anywhere, that you've got no basis to trust.

Basically, if you use a credit card, responsibility for the seller's end of your "contract" is effectively shared, or underwritten, by the card issuer. So, if there's any failure (eg to supply, if they are crooks, or go bust, whatever) and you can't resolve it with the supplier, your card issuer has to pick up responsibility, and you don't lose.

This is legally the case; credit card companies are bound to this. There is a low value threshold (GBP100 if I recall correctly) below which you can't claim in this way. Above that and you are effectively protected.

The same is NOT true of debit cards. No such protection exists.

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Sadly that is not true. Last year the Office of Fair Trading took credit card companies to the High Court to try & get Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act to apply to all purchases made abroad. The High Court found in favour of the card providers, but the OFT has appealed the ruling and the Court of Appeal is due to hear the case in the autumn.

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/pressoffice/press_index/press-041211.htm

There is one bright note in that 3 banks HSBC, Bank of Scotland and Sainsbury's Bank all have confirmed that they will honour claims for purchases made abroad.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+re...credit+card+holders+when+they+shop+abroad.htm

8. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please also note that issuers have a record of rejection of claims for overseas payments unless and until proceedings are issued. Whilst awaiting the appellate court decision they are likely to maintain their earlier practice of settlement. You can issue via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I stand corrected. Sorry.

10. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One aspect keeping me from trying to save money by buying from other countries is that of Warranty.

Some or most of the local support orgs for brands do not accept that they have to honour warranty work on units that have been purchased in other countries.

As such, one needs to ship the faulty unit back to the country it was bought from to get warranty services. This has a cost attached to it.

With projectors these days, this seems to be a frequent need judging from forum posts (unless these are the vocal minority!), at least with the least costly units.

So, I would not purchase anything to save say 100 quid.
    But I would buy something to save 4-500 or more. Then the cost benefit to risk ration would become acceptable.

11. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I'm pretty sure (but again am prepared to be corrected) that EU rules dictate that anything bought legitimately in the EU has to have a pan-EU warranty.

12. Lucas

Lucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is or was my impression as well.

However, I saw some announcements from distributors in my country (Greece) that contradicted this.

Frankly, I am not prepared to buy something and then test the legal system.

13. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The manufacturers have to honour the warranty as far as failure, but they don't have to honour the carridge and labour. I found this out from Samsung where I got my DVD player and from LG where I bought my LCD.
    Fortunatley neither have gone wrong and for the money I saved, it should cover thoose costs. Be careful with pixmania, they are nothing but a lying company.
    According to their website, everything looks UK based, but when you order, it comes from France and it is the european model. Friend over the road ordered a IPod for his sons birthday 3 weeks ago as they has plenty of stock, got a e-mail on Friday after chasing to say the stock was delayed, but their website still shows stock!
    If you are going to do it, use a company that many people recommend.

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I bought a £100 DVD player from Europe (Pixmania) with no issue, but I'd certainly think twice about buying something 10 times as expensive and potentially as tempramental as a PJ...PJ :)

15. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also fell for this with a camera purchase. The camera has been fine but it was a bit unsettling when it turned up with a French manual. Can't help but think they have deliberately tried to make it look like a UK company when it is not.

dunamis

16. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my Z3 from Japan in January for £800 and it required a firmware update to resolve the HDMI predator issue. Sanyo UK collected the projector by sending a courier to me, updated the firmware at a service centre and checked the bulb and returned the projector to me. I paid no carriage and no labour charges.

Incidentally some people who bought it in the UK were asked to send it in and did so at their own cost - I simply requested since it was defective that they should make arrangements to collect it which Sanyo UK agreed. Sanyo UK also provided me with a further 90 day warranty on my lamp after the repair.

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer's UK customer service before purchasing from Europe to clarify their warranty arrangements.