• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anybody after a large capacity HDD for your PS3 read this

Mark0409mr01

Established Member
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/03/hitachi-builds-half-terabyte

'HITACHI has announced a 500GB capacity hard drive intended for 2.5-inch applications such as gaming consoles, laptops and compact desktops.

The company says the Travelstar 5K500 model is available with either 400GB or 500GB capacity and uses a 3.0Gbps SATA interface. Hitachi claims the unit is the world's highest capacity mobile internal hard drive.

The new hard drive employs Hitachi's patented Rotational Vibration Sensing technology to help guard against head crashes and has 400G shock protection. It is a three-platter design but only requires the same amount of power as its two-platter 5K250 predecessor, that is, a 1.9 watt read/write draw and just 0.7 watt at idle.

The Travelstar 5K500 drives will be available from February. By the third quarter 2008, Hitachi will also offer enhanced-availability versions as E5K500 models for lower activity uses such as in blade servers and video surveillance systems. µ'

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I have a question about this:

Tell me please (if you know)

What are the actual advantages of having a MASSIVE internal 2.5" drive installed into your PS3, against plugging an equally MASSIVE (or even BIGGER) external UBB drive (formatted to Fat32) fitted to your PS3?

I assume all game saves, and game code (to make games run faster) are spooled to the internal drive (but I suspect even a 20GB is way enough for that job)

What about downloading Demo's? (Where do they go?)

I'd like to know please the exact pro's and cons re internal or external drives for the PS3

Thanks.

davidg1230

Prominent Member

I assume all game saves, and game code (to make games run faster) are spooled to the internal drive (but I suspect even a 20GB is way enough for that job)

I'd like to know please the exact pro's and cons re internal or external drives for the PS3

Thanks.

I understand that an external USB drives would hold only your own pictures,photo's and music, all game related stuff such as demo's and additional downloaded content would be on the internal drive. I guess it stops people loading an external drive with demo's etc. and copying them to another PS3.

theblacksheep

Established Member

Tell me please (if you know)

What are the actual advantages of having a MASSIVE internal 2.5" drive installed into your PS3, against plugging an equally MASSIVE (or even BIGGER) external UBB drive (formatted to Fat32) fitted to your PS3?

Thanks.

External drive is much, much slower (1.5G per sec vs 0.4G per sec)
External music/vids have to be selected through the ugly USB icon.
External drives often need seperate power supply.
External drives have a lead going to the USB port on the PS3.
External drive sometimes have small fans contributing to the noise.
External drives are cheaper and more flexiable (10krpm or 3.5")

As far as I know demos need to go on the internal drive, along with saves and system files.

20GB might not be enough, for instance GT5P puts 5GB on the drive, even if you have the disk. A few more games like this and say, RFOM with HD updates or PES2008. Downloadable games will start filling up your drive too. Carefull management or the odd accidental format will obviously help keep this clean, but 20GB might fill up quick.

james.miller

Prominent Member
External drive is much, much slower (1.5G per sec vs 0.4G per sec)

there's not a single drive that can touch that sort of transfer speed.even the best drives today peak at under 100mb/sec. the 1.5gb/3gb transfer speeds of sata1 and sata2 are pretty useless when the drives are still that slow.

so, its more like 70mb/sec sustains vs 40mb/sec.

using a sata adaptor and an external drive gives you the best of both worlds. with the only downside of needed two power supplies. but for that, i get cheap as chips 'internal drive' upgrade options. (500gb - ~£60) and the quicker speeds offer by these 3.5" sata drives over any 2.5" notebook drive. no brainer really. and since its connected over sata, none of my usb ports are taken up:)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
there's not a single drive that can touch that sort of transfer speed.even the best drives today peak at under 100mb/sec. the 1.5gb/3gb transfer speeds of sata1 and sata2 are pretty useless when the drives are still that slow.

so, its more like 70mb/sec sustains vs 40mb/sec.

using a sata adaptor and an external drive gives you the best of both worlds. with the only downside of needed two power supplies. but for that, i get cheap as chips 'internal drive' upgrade options. (500gb - ~£60) and the quicker speeds offer by these 3.5" sata drives over any 2.5" notebook drive. no brainer really. and since its connected over sata, none of my usb ports are taken up:)

Funnily enough what (I think) you are saying is just what I was about to ask, and something I've not seen anyone talk about yet (though I've probably missed it)

What about removing the built in 2.5" SATA drive (putting it somewhere safe) then plugging in EXTERNAL 3.5" SATA hard drive, via a Sata cable into the port (n the hole) inside the PS3 where you pulled the built in drive from?

That way you get full speed, you can get 7200 without any heat issues at all, and get a GIANT drive as a better price.

Apart from having another box sitting next to the PS3 (preferably also shiny Black ;) ) it seems the ideal answer to everything.

Yes/No?

james.miller

Prominent Member
its not that easy getting a lead in there, and harder keeping it in. thats why i bought the extender http://www.modchip-store.co.uk/HDXT-HARD-DRIVE-XTENDER-p-331.html and that gives you a nice flush plate with a mounted sata port.

i currently have a 250gb seagate in an external enclosure. its a good deal faster, no fans or anything like that needed to run the drive and i think it looks great too.

ps3_nexstar_2.jpg

as my ps3 stands vertically, i had to do a bit of diy on the stand to get a sata cable in there. no big issue really.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Sounds (and looks) great. Unless you want to move your PS3 around, it's no big deal.

I actually found that extender after a quick google a few minute ago.

One thing I'm not sure of, with the extender, it sounds like you still have your original 2.5" disk in there as well is that right?

I would not have thought there was room, but I'm a bit confused by what this means..... Can you explain (if you know)?

Switch between external HYPERDRIVE and internal 2.5" HDD
HYPERDRIVE USB2.0 Support to dump data to/from HDD

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
The original drive isn't there.

james.miller

Prominent Member
yeah the original drive is no longer in use. for all intents and purposes, the 250gb 3.5" drive is the new 'internal' drive :)

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Yeah, that's what I thought.

So what all this "Hyperdrive" talk (coloured in blue and taken from their website - That I posted above)?

6950rpm

Established Member
I really don't see much future in larger internal drives.

I added 1.2TB of network attached storage to my PS3 for £200. Someone else I know has 8TB of network attached storage though I think that's going a little OTT!

darrenjdoc

Standard Member
Greetings , Darren from Antrim here. My first real post after my hello post so please go easy :hiya:

If i was to buy the extender is there anything else i would need to connect my 500 gb external ??

Cable Monkey

Prominent Member
I really don't see much future in larger internal drives.

I added 1.2TB of network attached storage to my PS3 for £200. Someone else I know has 8TB of network attached storage though I think that's going a little OTT!

Of course there is a future, if only because the older smaller drives won't be in production any more. Going with a mature and thus reliable disk size is common sense and now we have moved on to 400 and 500 gig drives, 200 and 250's will become common everywhere from budget laptops to PVR's and consoles. At the end of the day, if it'll fit, people will fit it. It is simple, easy and now cheap. Terrabites of external storage add that perceived level of complexity that you and I know isn't hard or particularly expensive to achieve but will still prevent some from trying it.

kendoll

Prominent Member
Does changing your internal hard drive / removing it invalidate the warranty? Im guessing the answer is yes.

No it does not. Sony even provide instructions on it, and have been known to provide replacement drive cages to people who have mangled theirs when removing the drive. :smashin:

Barfly

Established Member
i currently have a 250gb seagate in an external enclosure. its a good deal faster, no fans or anything like that needed to run the drive and i think it looks great too.

Looks good -- does it run quietly? I'm thinking about getting a 60Gb but reports about fan noise have put me off and I never even thought about doing this.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom