Any Yamaha RX-V581 owners

rdmbfossa

Hi, we finally got a 4K TV for our lounge so I updated our Sony 1040 amp to a Yamaha RX-V581 which was advertised locally at a fair price. The Sony had a great sound but was ageing, the main reason I upgraded was the Sony draws around 40W on standby 24 hours per day when it has passthrough enabled. The Yamaha draws 2W on standby so that solves that issue. However I find I have to have the Yamaha volume way up high, I thought it was faulty for a start as there was no sound but I just didn't turn it up high enough, you need it up to half volume just to hear it, is this normal? Also finding it rather temperamental with network features such as Airplay and can't get any internet radio to work, is there anywhere with recommended settings etc for this amp? Thank you.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Have ypu used the supplied mic to calibrate it?

Post calibration, odb would equate to the same SPL as measured from your seated location as what is universally accepted as the standard for home theatre reference.

What are you determining to be half volume and what master volume level is the receiver set to?

I'd probably suspect your home network as being the issue as opposed to the AV receive. Are you using a wired connection to your roter or wifi?

rdmbfossa

I have reset the amp back to factory but have not calibrated it with the mic, just set it up manually like I did with the Sony. The volume starts at -80db, you have to turn it up to -40db just to hear it and normal listening is around -25db to -15db, the Sony had a normal numerical volume which you needed at between 20 and 30 for normal listening. I am using a wired connection for internet.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest the issue you are having with the volume is simply due to the fact you've as yet not calibrated the unit.

You cannot compare the volume scales because Sony AV receivers have no option to use a relative to reference volume scale and only have the option to use an absolute scale.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/‘relative’-vs-‘absolute’-volume-what’s-difference

There's also the fact that if you've never calibrated either the Sony or the Yamaha AV receivers then how do you lnow what would be the correct perceived volume? Run the calibration and the Yamaha AV receiver will be correctly levelled and the speakers will be balanced relative to where you are seated and relative to reference. :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom