1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any word on the Philips pw9570 ???

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bulldog73, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear to be their successor to the pw9509.

Philips website spec's seem similar to 9509 so I'm a little confuzzed as to the difference if it's more than cosmetic (although it doesn't look too different neither).

The only reason it stood out was that I found it on line for £699.99 which seems very reasonable for PP2 technology on a 32"-er

Views please ...

2. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, this is now down to 499.99 at Curry's / Dixons. Any reason not to go for this Pixel Plus 2 Philips TV which appears to have replaced the 9509 on their website for under £500 (just)....???

Anyone know of this unit in any respect...? Looking at making a purchase and this price could be just too good to miss.

3. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also noticed this, but cant find much info on it..

Better buy than the 32ZP48P ?

4. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope so, just put myself down for one.. at that price, I couldn't wait on any longer...

5. tyketv_uk

tyketv_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the same dilemma myself over the 9570.

Had been intending to get a 9509, until the incidence of people with problems with it seemed to grow to a level where it didn't just seem to be over-picky technophiles.

The then 'disappeance' of the model from just about everywhere seemed to underline that. Not sure how long the 9509 was on sale but can't have been many months as I was at one point going to get the 9309, until the 9509 popped up. 4-6months?

Anyway, done some digging on the 9509 vs 9570, and the only things I can see are

Cosmetically

A CineOS logo on the 9570, and no Matchline logo

Specs

After comparing the spec docs for the 9509 (no longer on philips website but had saved a copy) and 9570 there are differences...

9570 has a different remote control - 2 additional buttons
    9570 seems to consume 20W less power
    9570 doesn't have Cinemalink
    9570 Doesn't state blackline S tube.

My feeling is the latter is the most significant difference, and probably why the 9570 has been introduced at a lower price point.Could also have been the probs with the 9509?

Asked the sales staff in currys the same question as the out of town store I went to had a 9570 (at £499) alongside a 9509 (£998!). Predictably, I could have guessed they would just read the little spec card on the front, and say one was a discontinued model, and so we were able to buy the 9570's in bulk....should have gone to a palm-reader for more accurate sales info.

Having said that all that, an absolute steal at £499 (cheapest anywhere)...ordering mine later today!

6. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice the Blackline is only offered on the old 6008 model so maybe Philips have dropped it from their products, or come up with something else instead.

7. Tonks

Tonks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this model from Currys just yesterday and I must say that I have never seen a screen so vivid, the screen just seems to jump out at you, its almost 3D. At first it was a novalty but after a while it was just too much on the eyes so I turned it down, do you know that Data under all that white makup has mega spots on his face? lol, I have never noiticed his 'problem' before.

Under 'Smart picture' menu you have
    Personal
    Rich
    Natural
    Soft
    Multimedia
    ECO

The 'Rich' setting is just too rich for me but others will undoubtedly like it.

One minor gripe for me is the headphone setup. All TV's I have had inserting the headphone plug disconnected the TV's speakers. Not so on this model, the handbook says to use mute which mutes the main speakers but allows you to use your headphones. Problems I can see is that everyones in bed and you are listening through the headphones, you accidently touch the remotes volume button resulting in whatever you are listening to blaring out of the TV's speakers waking up your annoyed loved ones neighbours etc and you not knowing about it until you get something thrown at you...

I choose not to use mute but rather just turn the sound right down. Oh to alter the headphone volume you have to go into the menu settings to alter it..

The other gripe I have is that under the default settings there is no volume bar displayed on screen when changing volume. I like to see where I'm at here. Going into a sub menu gets the bar up but you will also get displayed in the top left corner whatever side you are watching permantly displayed there, annoying....

Saying all this I am very happy with the picture, sound and cosmetics, my gripes really are minor but may be significant to some peaple....

8. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the update Tonks, puts my mind to rest a little having not actually seen one of these before ordering !

9. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Tonks - that could actually be the only review on this tv to exist in the whole world!

10. bear7364

bear7364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :hiya: I'm a new member and joined because this is the only place I could find that had any sort of review on the 32PW9570 !!!!

I have bought one of these sets today and after much travelling to various Currys stores ended up back at at my local one as no one had stock and had to order it to be delivered on Sunday.

Can't wait to get the set as the picture looks amazing plus it has 2 RGB capable scarts which is a neccesity.

Click on link for a bit more info fron the Philips website :

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=VBDUGMP3U3DRPJ0RMRESHQFHKFSEKI5P

11. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the spec....

No component input :(

Neil

12. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Dixons have it for £499 plus free delivery until monday, also if you type pricerunner25off into the promotional code box you get another £25 off... :smashin:

PS I couldn't actually find it through Dixon's website, but there's a direct link from Pricerunner.co.uk, I was worried that meant Dixons were out of stock and Pricerunner were linking to a cached page, but the system lets you check for stock and order it so I guess it's ok!

13. bear7364

bear7364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Had a Toshiba TV with component inputs and did not notice much difference when connecting DVD player through this compaered to RGB !

I would say Philips Pixel Plus 2 technology gives better visual results than using a component input anyway, not far off the quality of HDTV.

What do others think ?????

14. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323

ROFL, I disagree.

Anyway, how do you get HD without component inputs from your DVD player apart from HDMI? Get a Tosh TV using component cables with even a bog standard prog scan DVD player and it shizzles all over PP2 IMO.

15. shacky

shacky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i went out today to buy 1 of these but stopped as i am not to sure which is best , the tosh or the phillips, what do u guys think ?

16. bear7364

bear7364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The reason I have bought one is that I think the picture depth is much better when viewing Sky or BBC1 programmes etc through Sky compared to any other set.

Also, I have had reliabilty problems with Toshiba. I have had 2 Toshiba sets fail in 6 years and the second set had to be exchanged 3 times !!!

17. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Has anyone else bought one of these yet and can provide any further reviews? My local Currys has one in stock, so went to see it. After struggling for ten minutes they managed to turn it on without the remote (it wasn't plugged in :rolleyes: ), the quality of the dvd they had playing wasn't brilliant, and am still undecided between buying this and a set-top box from currys/dixons or the Panny 32dtx11 off the web, will be the same price...

18. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my delivery date is scheduled for Thursday of this week so I guess we'll see if I've made the right decision on the one.

Not convinced that Curry's ability to demo a set with DVD playback is going to garner the results one might expect at home.. particularly if turning the thing on proved to be tricky.... :eek:

We'll see, I've only got my PS2 to gauge DVD playback at this time, as player is next on purchase list.

Watch this space (if you can find the remote... ;) )

19. bear7364

bear7364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :clap: Picked mine up yesterday and have been playing around with the settings since !!!!

Firstly the stand supplied with this TV is great. Easy to assemble and hides all the cables as you route them through 2 holes at the rear and the back panel on the stand is wide enough to hide any excess cable.

The TV itself is great. I have my Sky+ box and Pioneer DVD connected to the TV through scart leads using RGB.

DVD pictures are amazing and crystal clear !!!!

Sky pictures can be a bit fuzzy but I think that is mainly due to the quality of the signal (which I am currently trying to resolve).

The sound from the speakers can be a bit muffled but it is well worth turning the bass right down on the equalizer and the mid to treble set to high.

All I can say is that I am very glad that I chose this TV as the picture quality is superb and will only get better as I fiddle some more with the settings.

20. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you get it from Currys, it's £499 plus delivery. But if you go for the Sky Starter Pack, delivery is free. (£509). Add 50OFF500_CANDG for £50 off.

Go through rpoints.com for 5% cashback.

Resultant price is £436.

21. Tonks

Tonks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When setting up your picture you may find the following tips helpfull (even though its tips for the 9509)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    HCC PRACTICAL TIP
    The 32PW9509 makes so many picture options available to you that it’s actually quite easy to over-cook the image. Reviewer John Archer recommends that you avoid Active Control, at least while watching low-quality digital broadcasts, since the supposed automatic optimisation circuits can get confused by noise in a source, tending to emphasise it rather than
    deal with it properly.

If you’re watching something with a lot of fast motion in it, you might actually find that Movie Plus gives a better result (thanks to its handling of the Pixel Plus edge shimmer effect) than the Pixel Plus 2 setting.

Next, be careful with noise control; anything higher than the minimum setting tends to cause softness and even smearing. Finally, don’t push the contrast booster too high, since this can overstress peak whites and make dark areas
    look ‘hollow’.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbsup:
    Tonks

22. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very pleased so far with the set. Watching the cricket now and it looks superb...all Freddie's boundaries in great quality.

watched Nemo via PS2 connected with decent S-video and quality was sublime compared to old 50Hz set.

Still playing with all these settings in order to optimise picture quality but have found, Smart pic = Natural and Active Control set to Minimal seems to be best on a relatively low quality input signal from loft aerial.

Will update as and when anything happens.

23. Tonks

Tonks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I rather like this set, I have always been a Sonyphile and thought Philips products was only for old men :)

I use either Personal or Soft settings for the picture, I don't like the harshness of the Rich setting, 'Rich' looks over processed and the jpeg like compression effects on edges or on fast motion is too artificial for my liking.

I am now in the process of adding surround (wife friendly) sound, I have aquired a Sony Receiver and am awaiting delivery of a pair of Mission 31i speakers to place either side of the TV. Then it will be a centre speaker followed by a subwoofer and finally rear speakers. If anyone has any comments or advice on what speakers to buy to go along with the Missions please feel free to comment... I am toying with the idea of using the Missions for the front initially but at a later time buying some good floor standing speakers and then use the Missions for the rear...

Tonks

24. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Its sold out in Manchester at dixons/currys group - any bright ideas to get one?
    In store told me they came in 2 weeks ago, and don't expect any more at that price
    Managed to place an order to an address in Wales, now their site is crashing at the end after I do the final submit.

25. Bumpkindes

Bumpkindes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my TV delivered and after getting it out of the box I've discovered a great big crack coming from the bottom left hand corner of the case to the middle of the speaker :mad: .

After spending an age on the phone being passed from department to department I've been informed that they have none left in stock and do not expect any for the forseeable future so I've the option of a refund or something else from the website.

On the plus side the pic does look amazing and if the crack was even slightly smaller I may have put up with it but its just too distracting in the part where it intersects the black surround.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a tv around the same price range 32" max due to the size of the doors in this old house :(

26. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've had one of these since last Sunday.Was very pleased at first but after watching the footy noticed 3 or 4 white lines down the screen.Phoned Currys and arranged for someone to come out(just wanted a replacement),but last night started hearing a very noticeable buzzing noice,particularly on dark scenes.As I don't want to take out the extended warranty,I was wondering whether I might be better off going for a different model completely,cos if it keeps happening it'll be a right pain.

27. Tonks

Tonks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm sorry to hear of your problem, I don't have any lines on my screen at all.. not very useful for you to hear that.

The only thing I can criticise on my Philips is the 'overprocessing' which results in the jpeg type effects on some picture settings and oh when the screen displays the black borders due to the picture not filling the screen entirely, its very slightly lobsided by 2mm or so, its nothing really.....

28. Bulldog73

Bulldog73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tonks, there's a tilt adjust under one of the On screen menu settings. Don't if that's the same lobsided as you refer to.. ?

Likewise, my picture is just great given that my sources are of dubious quality I'm well chuffed. Watched Sahara last night and some of the details in some scenes were amazing.
    The only thing I will say is that some complex movement can create artifacts but that's it and only to be expected on 100Hz sets. This is far outweighed by the level of detail and clarity the remaining 99.9% of the time (think I only noticed it twice in a two hour film)

29. westie123

westie123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these televisions,when i turn it on the screen is just black.I have the blue light at the front.when i press the menu button on top of the tv or any button on the remote control nothing happens.
    any ideas what im doing wrong or do i have faulty tv ?

30. Tonks

Tonks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush:
    Just noticed your reply, the lobsidedness is really nothing its something I can live with. As you say the clarity and vividness of this TV is fantastic so no complaints here :)

I am spending my time in the Audio section of this forum mostly getting advice on surround sound. For a TV the audio is pretty good but after buying a Sony receiver and a pair of Mission speakers the difference between the TV and the Sony is like night and day. When I first bought the TV I thought the sound quality was really good but after buying the audio stuff and comparing the two the TV now sounds muddy and lacks clearness and often I had to ask the wife 'what did he just say?' and thats on the speech setting. With my audio equipment the soundstage is wide whilst the TV sound is narrow, speech is clear with no brightness, special effects sound deep and spectactular. Dont get me wrong you can't expect HiFi like sound from a TV set costing £500 and it is good for what you get but I now realise the audio side is of equal if not of greater importance than the visual aspect.

Just ordered a BK XLS200 subwoofer to enhance the familys listening experience :)