1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any wireless networking experts?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Steve Bate, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a D-Link 900AP+ running in repeater mode to another one connected to my LAN. My desktop PC is connected via ethernet to the one in repeater mode so I can access the rest of the LAN so I know this works.

I've just got a Toshiba e740 PDA which has wifi built in and am trying to connect to the LAN, I can "see" the WLAN but cant seem to do anything else, I get a very intermittant signal even when sitting next to the AP in repeater mode. I've given the pda an IP address (in the same range as the rest of the LAN) and tried pinging it again mixed results sometimes fine but most of the time timing out.

Any ideas or suggestions to improve reception

Steve

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    had a similar problem and it turned out to be the metal filing cabinet in the office. Moved the base unit to be "line of sight" to the router so it didnt try to pass through and went from timeouts and 2000 ms pings to 2ms pings

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Graham, but that doesn't explaing why it's poor when I move to directly next to the main AP which is in the roof void!

Steve

4. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well I'd make sure that you've got the latest firmware on both access points and specified the LAN MAC addess of the non repeating 900AP on the one set in repeater mode.

The fact that it works for the PC wired to the repeater mode access point is one thing, but that doesn't prove that its actually operating as intended. e.g. receiving a wireless signal from the PDA and repeating it back to the access point connected to your LAN.

Part of the problem might be that the wireless repeater mode function of the DLink isn't actually part of the wi-fi spec. The fact that the PDA gets such a bad signal even when next to the repeater mode access point suggests that it might still be trying to connect to the other more distant 900AP.

Just out of curiosity does it work if you disconnect the PC from the 900AP in repeater mode? The DLink documentation doesn't appear too clear on whether in repeater mode you can use the ethernet port.

Update:

Bad news. Have a look here at the bottom of the page. You can't use a PC plugged into the Ethernet port of the repeater for anything other than access to the configuration web page of the DLink. The fact that the wired PC is working is probably what's stopping the PDA from working. :(

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Gerbil, I'd already come to a similar conclusion by checking the mac address in the BSSID setting that the pda can see. It can only see the 1st WAP. Any suggestions for a more powerful WAP?

Steve

6. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well the wireless repeater function tends to be proprietary to each manufacturer and you probably don't want to replace both access points.

Assuming you can get the PDA working with the repeater when there's nothing connected to the ethernet port then what about just getting a wireless PCI or USB adapter for the desktop? There doesn't appear to any restriction on having multiple wireless clients accessing the repeater.

7. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To be honest, where I want the pda to work most is in the room directly under the primary AP, it has a strong signal at 11mb/s so I cant understand what's wrong. Today I managed to get a connection but it wasn't repeatable so everything works, it's just a bit iffy....... ah the black art that's comms!!

Steve

8. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You could try disabling the 22mbps mode on the DLink just in case that makes a difference.

It's a pity ministumbler won't work on the Toshiba. I've found even small changes in the position of the antenna on my Linksys access point can make big changes in the signal strength downstairs.

Good luck