Any wireless communications experts here?

ukdan

Need some help with something technical that I have no clue about regarding 802.15 technology, power limits etc.
Post here and I will Pm you.
Thanks in advance.

ukdan

Can you tell us a little more?
Basically I bought a fireworks firing system from America which uses 802.15 2.4ghz and I built a battery powered wifi booster. But after reading a little on the Internet, I think the booster is illegal in the UK. Just wanted to clarify what the law is. The firing system tx power is 100mw and the booster is 2000mw.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
2 watts (3 dBW) , like the unit you imported, is definitely illegal. I would actually expect it to be illegal under FCC rules in the USA too.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
And if it's illegal like that who knows what out of band interference it might be causing.
If 100mW isn't enough then you need to look at another option.

ukdan

Ok thanks people. Found another solution with some directional antennas today so all is good.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Much better solution. With directional aerials and set up properly your receive path will gain as much as your transmit path.

Doug the D

Basically I bought a fireworks firing system from America which uses 802.15 2.4ghz and I built a battery powered wifi booster. But after reading a little on the Internet, I think the booster is illegal in the UK. Just wanted to clarify what the law is. The firing system tx power is 100mw and the booster is 2000mw.
Bloody Yanks! I remember when I was in the army, we were doing a joint exercise with some americans. Our HF kit had a power output of 4 watts, and was, with the correct frequency, antenna setup, and time of day, capable of transmitting and receiving almost globally. The american guys set up their truck about 100 metres from us, and out of professional interest, I wandered over to take a look at their gucci kit (they've got way more money for kit than us!). When I asked their radio operator about their power output, he pushed his glasses up his nose, gave a shrug of his shoulders and said "Right now, we're only pushing out a kilowatt"...

This helped me complete my faultfinding on why my kit was getting such huge levels of interference!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom