Any Whiskey lovers in the forum

tim68

doing a little clearout earlier and found a couple of bottles of Glenmorangie whiskey in nice presentation tins, one was called 10 year old and the other Cellar 13. I think they have been there for at least 10 years.

not knowing anything about the subject, so sorry for being naive, does whiskey ever go off ? and how should whiskey be drunk. is it straight or can you add anything to it

I'm not a big drinker anymore. more than happy with a glass of wine or rose most of the time and I don't touch lager or beer any more, not in years :)

tim68

My father was a scot from just outside Edinburgh and loved his whiskey, still remember knocking a glass over one xmas, he didn't talk to me for 2 weeks after, I was only 8 or 9 at the time. lol

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
not knowing anything about the subject, so sorry for being naive, does whiskey ever go off ?
I don't think it goes 'off' but it does diminish once opened, particularly if in sunlight. The more air in the bottle the faster this process.

If you find an unopened bottle in a box it should be the same as the day it was bought.

As for what to have with it, I take mine neat as a marine's haircut.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Ps Pro tip

Whisky -> Scotland
Whiskey -> Eireland

McVicar

Distinguished Member
and how should whiskey be drunk. is it straight or can you add anything to it
Straight, mixed, ice, add a bit of near-room temperature water to it? Very much a personal taste. I don't subscribe to the 'should' aspect as we all like different things and different people might tell you how you should drink it. Maybe try all the above and/or try it in a cocktail as well. There's loads of recipes out there. Rather than open a sentimental and who knows maybe valuable bottle first, buy a cheaper/smaller bottle and give it a go.

I personally like Glenmorangie neat but not averse to adding a bit of water (for me, no ice) But maybe that's psychological remembering my grandad with his jug :).

Oh and he was a Bells or Johnie Walker man. Probably depended how much was left in the kitty:smashin:

InvisibleDuncan

Pubs in the Highlands tend to have a small jug of water on the bar so that you can add the amount you prefer.

Personally, I drink it neat if I'm cold and need a warm-me-up, otherwise I add a splash of water.

Astaroth

Tiny amount of water for me too, opens up the smells and thus the flavours.... I remember one of the big distillery groups did a "scientific" paper a few years ago which not only "proved" the benefit of adding a small amount of water but actually what type of water (soft,hard, mineral) you used changed its impact

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom