1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to reduce flicker on a 50htz WideScreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by qfk123, Jan 1, 2003.

1. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Im stuck with my current TV for some months till i buy a new car , then think about getting a New tv ,

I have a pannasonic 32PL4 50htz telly and for some reason im noticing the flicker on menus and logos much more ( maybe cause i run my comp monitor at 85htz, the picture quality is great and sound is lovely only the flicker is getting to me lately,

anyway i can reduce the flicker by way of ( device , service menu trick etc)

thanks.

2. Nana

Nana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying this tv soon, so you've got me worried.

It looked great in Comet and tbh I've never noticed any flicker on any 50HZ tv I've had if it's woring properly.

Is it really noticeable and are you sure the tv hasn't developed a fault that makes it flicker?
    I'm starting to have second thoughts about Panasonics after hearing the horror stories of NTSC ghosting (please tell me your PL4 doesn't have that at least).

3. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    sorry nana to scare you, its a pretty decent TV, im just spoilt abit i guess, the picture quality is greatish ( little bit of darkness on light patches left and right of screen) geomatry is ok after i played with the service menu but not 100% but better than some more pricy models ive seen.

the sound on the TV is great for pro logic, no one in my family complains about flickering, maybe cause i sit in front of a high refreshed monitor at work and home im more prone to notice it. But why dont u go for a 32PB50 (save abit more and buy it from empire for £1,029.93 sounds alot more but you u get 5.1 and loads of other nice stuff. havent noticed ghosting in NTSC mode, RGB and S video( through second scart on back av2s)

4. Nana

Nana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant advice, thanks very much.:D

The B50 sounds good, but it's a bit out of my price range (I'm regretting all that Christmas spending already).
    As for the inputs, that's exactly the set up I'll have SV to the second scart as I've got a US Tosh 2109 that out puts SV not RGB, so that's great news for me.

Sorry I couldn't help with your flicker problem though.

5. fernando

fernando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi qfk,

Belive me, I undertand you. Three months ago I bought a LS35 after several years using a Saba from the stoneage. From one month I notice the flickering a lot, mostly on menus but also in TV emmisions. And after half an hour watching TV my eyes turn into red. The doc said me that it´s normal cause I ´m developing a Photo-sensibilization process due to the continue exposure to brillant light (mostly PC monitor), Do you think this could be your case???
    :rolleyes:
    I hope no :)

Try to put a little bit more distance beetwen your eyes and the TV.

Regards

6. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    thanks fernando, guess using high refresh monitors alot has its downside.

7. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see flicker on 50Hz sets, especially as you say on menus and texts etc. Having had a Panny 28 widescreen, I could see the flicker others could not. However, I still prefer 50Hz to 100Hz as there always to be something 'un-natural' about 100Hz and the Panny 100Hz sets seem a bit 'grey' compared to 50Hz. Apparently 90% of people cannot see flicker on 50Hz - I use a TFT at work and 100Hz monitor at home for computing as low refresh really get to me quickly. So long as I don't sit right in front of the TV screen (then who does?) everything if fine.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try dropping brighness!

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    ....or using exclusively NTSC source material (which ups the refresh rate to 60hz).

10. fernando

fernando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I play a DVD NTSC my Sony will work at 60HZ??????

:eek:

It´s amazing. Please confirm me this point.

Thanx a lot

11. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree - sets that flicker usually have the brightness and contrast set too high...

12. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The NTSC format needs a refresh rate of 60 fields per second, so your TV will display NTSC DVD's in 60Hz. The same goes for 100Hz TV's - 100Hz is double scan rate for PAL, but for NTSC, it's 120Hz.

Hope That Helps,

Moory

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Yes - provided that your DVD player isn't one that converts NTSC to 'true' PAL. If it outputs pure NTSC or pseudo PAL (aka PAL60) then, yes the refresh rate will be 60hz.