Any way to get the controller to shut down automatically?

jonboy99

Standard Member
I'm pretty sure my 360 controllers used to shut themselve off if they weren't used for a few minutes, to save the batteries. Pressing a button would turn them on again.

The PS3 controller never goes on to standby until I manually turn it off or shut the PS3 down - seems wasteful of charge. Is there a way to get it to behave like this, eg so it doesn't stay on while i'm watching a movie unused for 2 hours?

R

resistance35

I'm pretty sure my 360 controllers used to shut themselve off if they weren't used for a few minutes, to save the batteries. Pressing a button would turn them on again.

The PS3 controller never goes on to standby until I manually turn it off or shut the PS3 down - seems wasteful of charge. Is there a way to get it to behave like this, eg so it doesn't stay on while i'm watching a movie unused for 2 hours?

press the ps button and shut down the controller.

Jim_Fear

That's not automatic though, I'm hoping that will come in a firmware update for the controller.

Kierz

Standard Member
Can you firmware update a controller? It doesnt have an internet connection.

Maybe plug it in USB but that still doesnt mean it will be able to have firmware updates.

Jim_Fear

It has to have some kind of software on it to process the sensing, it will have a very basic firmware but definately something that can be modified in some way, most likely over USB.

Can you firmware update a controller? It doesnt have an internet connection.

Maybe plug it in USB but that still doesnt mean it will be able to have firmware updates.

firmware update can tell the hardware what to do with the bluetooth connection to a controller after a period of time - i.e switch it off, thus the controller isn't connected to a ps3 thus it turns off :smashin: magic when you think about it

winstano

press the ps button and shut down the controller.

Would that not pose a problem though? If you turned off the controller you wouldn't be able to turn off the console...

Or does the controller get turned off when you turn off the console?

(Don't have my PS3 yet you see)

R

resistance35

Would that not pose a problem though? If you turned off the controller you wouldn't be able to turn off the console...

Or does the controller get turned off when you turn off the console?

(Don't have my PS3 yet you see)

no, you just press the ps button again to turn on the controller, or alternatively hold the on/off button for 5 seconds on the console to shut down

winstano

no, you just press the ps button again to turn on the controller, or alternatively hold the on/off button for 5 seconds on the console to shut down

Well yeah, but say I was in bed playing on the PS3, and then wanted to turn both controller and console off... If I selected "turn off console", would that turn off both the controller and the console? (Sorry if this seems really newbie-esque, but as I said I don't have my PS3 yet)

Kierz

Standard Member
Yep it shuts off both.

And insomniak: didnt think of it like that, good idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom