Quantcast

Any way to fix a faulty subwoofer cable

daveb975

I have got a strange problem with a subwoofer cable. It seems to work fine, but if the plug at the SW is touched it gives a really loud, distorted signal through the sub. Sometimes, it even happens without it being physically touched.

The plug itself looks fine and I can't see any physical damage to the cable.

Swapping the cable out solves the problem, but the original cable is buried deep under carpets/underlay etc. so I'd rather use that one if I could.

Has anyone had similar, and if so is there anyway to fix it?

daveb975

How good are you with a soldering iron?
Not excellent, to be honest! This is a cheap, sealed plug anyway. I reluctantly bought it at the time, because it was the only one that was thin enough to bury properly.

I have seen a QED one that looks as though it would do the job, so I might have to replace with that.

Is this likely to be a loose connection inside the plug?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Could be damage anywhere along the length of the cable - any problems with mice etc getting into your walls?

You could try chopping off the RCA and replace it with a solder on plug.

Joe

daveb975

Could be damage anywhere along the length of the cable - any problems with mice etc getting into your walls?

You could try chopping off the RCA and replace it with a solder on plug.

Joe
I pulled the cable out in the end. It looked undamaged all along its length, so it must be something in the plug.

I moved the sub closer to the amp for now and connected it with shorter cable. I’ve picked up some hum again, even though this is a higher quality cable that was fine in my other system.

Some experimentation required I think!

daveb975

I’ve heard a few postive reports about the Audioquest range of subwoofer cables with the integrated ground lead.

I won’t be able to use anything that size unfortunately, but if I tested one and it worked, is there any reason that a long earth lead running separately to the main cable wouldn’t do the same thing?