Any way to connect a Humax box to an Nvidia Shield (or vice versa)...?

TrigFX

Novice Member
OK, I realise that this is probably a stupid question - but I need to check! 😁

I have a Panasonic 50EX750 TV, a Denon receiver (AVR-X2300W), as well as an Nvidia Shield Pro and an old Humax HDR-2000T (500GB), and wondered if it was possible to connect the Humax to the Shield in some way and view it via the Shield to get everything in one place AND the Shield's upscaling properties, for Live TV?

I've looked into IPTV player options for live TV on the Shield, and have been disappointed to find almost none of the ones I've found so far do surround sound on ANY source, not even movies! (I really wanted NowTV, but that's not supported on the Shield, apparently.) :(

I am considering upgrading my old Humax to a newer option (possibly the Aura 4K - but am open to suggestions) later on down the line (when I can afford it!).

I can't have a Sky dish, and Virgin doesn't serve our area. We have a Sky Broadband contract from our previous flat, but have yet to finish this contract and are reluctant to cancel it in favour of another one til the contract term is up.

But in the meantime, if it's possible to connect the two devices, just to get Live TV, I'd love to know how...!

Failing that, does anyone have details of an IPTV provider that DOES support surround sound (if they even exist yet)?
I'm in the UK, so mainly after UK TV/ Sky channels...
Ideally, I'm trying to avoid buying more devices, so any Shield apps that I may have missed would be a better alternative!

Thanks! 😊

JonMace

Sky channels via IPTV (non now TV) are illegal so you are not going to get any help here for that. Now TV devices are really cheap so one of them and a HDMI switch if you dont have a spare HDMI socket?

TrigFX

Novice Member
Sky channels via IPTV (non now TV) are illegal so you are not going to get any help here for that. Now TV devices are really cheap so one of them and a HDMI switch if you dont have a spare HDMI socket?
Ah, OK - I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for clarifying that.

So I'm guessing there's no way to connect the Humax to the Shield - which was really my main query...

Was kinda guessing I'd end up with NOW TV - although I keep hearing that there are issues with that platform (although I guess every platform has its own issues - it's just a question of what's important and workable)....

next010

Distinguished Member
So I'm guessing there's no way to connect the Humax to the Shield - which was really my main query...

Was kinda guessing I'd end up with NOW TV - although I keep hearing that there are issues with that platform (although I guess every platform has its own issues - it's just a question of what's important and workable)....

Yes it's possible but the PVR must support one of the PVR backends Kodi supports, then Kodi running on the Shield will act as a front end to the PVR.

The Humax box does not support any Kodi PVR backend that I can see, you'd need an engima2 class PVR to be able to do it.

The other option is get a cheap USB DVB-T2 tuner for PC/server on the network and install a PVR backend (e.g. NextPVR) on that, then Kodi can use that.

The biggest hurdle is network speed for the video so you need wired ethernet or really good wireless.

TrigFX

Novice Member
Yes it's possible but the PVR must support one of the PVR backends Kodi supports, then Kodi running on the Shield will act as a front end to the PVR.

The Humax box does not support any Kodi PVR backend that I can see, you'd need an engima2 class PVR to be able to do it.

The other option is get a cheap USB DVB-T2 tuner for PC/server on the network and install a PVR backend (e.g. NextPVR) on that, then Kodi can use that.

The biggest hurdle is network speed for the video so you need wired ethernet or really good wireless.
Ah right!!! Many thanks - that helps a lot!! :)
Just shame that the Humax doesn't support it - but that's not the end of the world. Thank you!! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom