1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way round macrovision?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dk_terror, Jan 4, 2002.

1. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to watch a film on sky boxoffice on my new plasma screen and its seems that it can't cope with the macrovision, the picture was flashing red/green all the way through.
    Is there anyway to disable the macrovision via an external box or something? I don't want to copy anything, just watch the films that I have legitamatley bought.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    You can buy little boxes that strip out the macrovision signal from lektropacks for about £50 I think.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    May companies sell devices that can stabalise a signal affacted by macrovision, Maplins and Lektropacks are two I have seen recently. Since macrovision is widely used through out the world a TV that can't cope with it would have me getting a refund not trying to solve the problem with 3rd party hardware.

http://www.maplin.co.uk
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk

Are you 100% sure it's your TV and not the digibox?
    Try a dvd source or pre recorded vhs tape.

4. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am assuming its macrovision. Screen works fine with DVD's and the other sky movie channels. It only happens with the boxoffice channels, as soon as the film starts the screen starts flickering. I'm thinking maybe they could be encoded differently??

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Get in touch with SKY and get a refund as your first step and then get them to state the SBO movies are using the standard macrovision.
    Since you are an existing SBO user a threat of never being able to purchase them again would be the incentive SKY needs to look into the matter.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just a thought, but you haven't looped the sky through your vcr or something like that?
    If it's direct to the plasma, it should be ok.

7. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digibox goes through an rgb-svideo converter box, then into my denon receiver. I'll give sky a ring and see if they can shed any light on this...

8. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect you've got a good reason for converting your RGB signal to S-video and routing it through your receiver (like you don't have enough A/V inputs on your TV I expect). BUT, if I had a plasma screen (lucky devil!) I would want to have the digibox's RGB output going direct to the TV and just sending the audio to the Denon.
    I guess you don't RGB loopthrough on your DVD player do you? - that's always a neat way to get 2 RGB sources playing into your TV if you only have one RGB input on the TV.

A the very least I would recommend you try running your digibox's RGB output direct to the TV as a one-off experiment just to see if your Macrovision problem is something weird to do with the s-video conversion.

Regards, Simon

9. dk_terror

dk_terror

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, there is a lack of a/v inputs on the screen so all my kit (digibox, dvd, vcr, ps2) have to be routed through the receiver. As the plasma has no scart socket, I would still have to pass the digibox through the s-vid box to connect it straight to the screen. The annoying thing is, as the problem only occurs with SBO, it means I have to buy a film to test different connections. Its SKY's loss really if they use a different form of macrovision on these movies as it just means i'll rent them out on dvd instead.