Any way of capturing directly as MPEG-2 ?

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is there any software that captures from the DV-Camera firewire link, and captures direct as MPEG-2, so it's ready to put into DVD?

At the moment, the Pinnacle software I use captures as DV-AVI, so I have to go through some time-consuming process to convert the AVI into DVD-ready MPEG-2.

Thanks.

Ulead Video Studio & Movie Factory can both capture footage from a camcorder etc directly to MPEG-2
Although this saves time & disk space it does cause problems for editing, so not ideal if you want to chop & change things after capture.

Mark.

Originally posted by MarkE19
Ulead Video Studio & Movie Factory can both capture footage from a camcorder etc directly to MPEG-2
Although this saves time & disk space it does cause problems for editing, so not ideal if you want to chop & change things after capture.

Mark.

Hello

Mark does this still apply if you just want to add a title and a few transitions between chapters ?

I have not got a DV camera yet but I have been trying the software - Pinnacle studio 8 and Ulead video studio 7 to edit MPEG - 2 captures from my capture card when I say edit I mean the very basic stuff - titles & transitions and all seems ok on MPEG - 2 as far as I can see up to now anyway , maybe I will know different when I go DV.

P.S.

Ulead seems to be a LOT quicker than Studio 8 at rendering the files into a DVD standard.

Hi w4yne and welcome to the forum.

Adding titles etc should be less of a problem than cutting out unwated sections of video. The reason for the problems is that MPEC compression only updates each frame of video with the bits that have changed. Therefore if you cut out frames that are partal then it causes problems for those that follow it, until there is a full frame refresh (about every 20-30 frames I think). This can cause pixelation and jumpy movement.
As I say adding titles should be fine as you are adding aditional information rather than removeing it. Although I must confess that this is just an educated guess as I have never done any editing with compressed footage other than the authoring in Movie Factory.

Mark.

Perhaps that why I have not noticed any pixelation and jumpy movement as I am using transitions between any cuts etc. and these are papering over the cracks so to speak.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom