1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any views on VERY cheap DABS 30" LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by justinh, Jun 17, 2004.

1. justinh

justinh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I noticed that DABS are selling their own branded 23 and 30" LCD TV's at VERY aggressive prices.

Anyboidy know anything about them ?

30" is £1099 in VAT and has reasonable specs inc:

• Angle of vision: > 160º
    • Contrast ratio: 400:1 (typ)
    Response time 16ms
    • Brightness: 450cd/m2 (typ)
    • Physical resolution 1280 x 768
    • TOP/FLOF teletext with 256 pages memory
    • Full-screen display in the 16:9 as well as in the 4:3 mode
    • User zoom
    • 99 program storage locations
    • Automatic station finding
    • Systems: PAL/SECAM/NTSC/FBAS/RGB/S-Video
    • TV tuner: VHF/UHF/Hyperband
    • OSD (On Screen Display)
    • Multi-function IR remote control(batteries included in scope of delivery)
    • Mains operation 230V/50Hz

Connections
    • 75ohm antenna socket
    • 2 x Euro Scart
    • Composite video in
    • S-video input
    • 3 Audio line in, L/R stereo (cinch)
    • 1 Speaker out, L/R stereo (cinch), 2 x 7 W RMS
    • 1 Audio line out, L/R stereo (cinch)
    • DVI-I / VGA PC input

Justin

2. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Justin

I can't find this on the Dabs site. Can you post the link?

Cheers

3. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Same here , but looking smaller LCD Tv 14/15 for the kitchen ;)
    Cheaper the better , also best for the cash

Any Idea's , Thanks

:D

4. justinh

justinh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a nice tv and could have been a contender - BUT!!!

Someone please tell me why it needs a stand which raises it by over 12cm? No, really. WHY? :lesson:

A tv can easily be raised - although usually you buy a stand the height you want it anyway so why would you do so? But how do you lower one which is on a standard av unit with the spikes removed, which sits on the carpet? :confused:

I need a tv which is a maximum of about 54cm high so that it sits on the unit and is still below the bottom of my projector screen when it is down.

The tv is 50.2cm but with stand it is 62.5. :rotfl:

The :censored: stupidity of it all makes me soooo angry! :mad:

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    no component in, either

7. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I don't know if Dabs ( :mad: ) customer service has improved in the past couple of years. The first (and last) time I bought something from them, they sent a similar (but different) item and refused to answer my requests to take it back until 3 months had passed. They then replied saying "all returns must be made within 3 months etc etc..."

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The spec appears to have changed and now lists component in.

It'd be worth taking a punt on one of these if it was anyone but dabs because of their stiff returns policy. Ie, if it works, you get to keep it, even if it's rubbish. I don't believe their "Excellent image quality without any disturbing noises" line all that much.

9. M0T

M0T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not sure it would be worth it, I was shopping today and saw a few of the 23" LCD's all of the 'cheap' ones seemed to suffer quite badly from picture tearing on motion (they were all displaying the tennis).

I agree DABS are quite poor on returns, once they sent me wrong items in an order, I got the RMA sorted after 2 weeks, they 'arranged' for royal mail to come and pick it up, which they did not (and had no knowledge of a pickup), I phoned dabs and mysteriously without them phoning me back (as promised) royal mail turned up a week later unannounced (lucky I was in). It then took them a further month to refund me the money they owed, so now I don't order from them.

10. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The standard of Dabs customer service is widely known thanks to articles in mags such as PC Plus.

They appear to routinely flout consumer sales legislation such as the Distance Selling regs and the Sale of Goods Act and will not hesitate to stonewall/ignore/turn a deaf ear when it seems to benefit them.

I was unfortunate enough to have to deal with their customer helldesk, whoops!, meant "helpdesk" ;) when a laptop I purchased using a buy now, pay later scheme as a Christmas present, developed a significant fault within a month of purchase.

I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say that to recover my money I ended up having to write directly to the Managing Director threatening legal action if they didn't abide by the relevant legislation. Oh, and the fact that I involved the finance company made things doubly uncomfortable for them as well.

You won't be surprised to hear that they caved at this point, but I will never purchase from them again and I would urge others to consider their purchase carefully.

11. psharrock

psharrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Before anyone flames me for this post, I am a member of AV Forums for my love of AV, however, I am also a director of dabs.com.

I will agree that dabs level of CS has been less than acceptable in the past and as a result we have been less than perfect. The main issues as you all have mentioned have been returns processing, however, this is now fully online and automated with instant RMA for 95%+ of requests.

Before anyone asks I have not seen this TV so cannot comment on it.

Regards

Paul Sharrock

12. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Paul,

you can see our POV, though, can't you. Here's a pretty good spec, appealing telly, that'd we'd like to have a look at, but the DABS returns policy is off-putting. If we buy it and it's utter crap, according to you it's non-returnable (however much that contravenes the distance selling regulations - which you have on the DABS site!).

Could you have a look at it and tell us what you think?

Jasper

13. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Paul, nice to have a representative of Dabs on here.

Might we enquire how long you've been a director with Dabs?

Yes indeed your RMA processing is fully online and automated, which is fine when the system works, but for situations that fall outside the box, so to speak, it is abysmal.

Dabs response times to email in my personal opinion (and experience), are laughable. Taking more than two days to reply to a customer email doesn't cut it for an e-tailer in my book.

Dabs level of CS are not acceptable (again this is my opinion), how else would you describe it when a customer is told that they cannot return an item reported as faulty within a month of purchase, because they are abroad and have to return it when back in the UK (falling outside your RMA validity period)?? The full sad story can be found here.

What is inexcusable, are the situations described in recent PC Plus editions where Dabs appears to consistently flout consumer regs and sales legislation. There's not much of an excuse for that, either your staff are doing what they please, or this behaviour is sanctioned from the top which is even more worrying.

The fact that my personal experience (and that of others on this board) seems to agree with the findings of PC Plus, only serves to reinforce our opinion :thumbsdow of Dabs.

14. psharrock

psharrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have been a director since February this year, and yes I can see your point of view regarding the customer experience of dabs. Returns was the biggest issue and this I have on the whole fixed with the online returns system.

Dabs online returns has only been live since 23rd June, so it is new, it automates all DSR, DOA, and within 12 month warranty repairs all other are still manual. The workload that this has removed from the CS team, means that they are now replying to manual ones within a couple of hours.

Most of the ones that are going manual, could have been done automatically if the customer had selected the correct reason for the return. A website change is underway to make this clearer.

AOD, I have read your thread, to be honest I usually only read the Plasma threads, and on occasion other, so I had not read your post. As you have said your experience is not acceptable.

Paul

15. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think most of us would agree that Returns are an issue, of course with a company the size of Dabs the quantity of them will have a direct impact on the service level if the appropriate supporting processes are not in place.

Sounds like a significant step in the right direction, as I have not contacted Dabs since I cannot comment on your present response times. Do you have any metrics you'd care to share with us illustrating this? Also, what would be the process now for dealing with a situation such as the one I experienced, eg do your RMAs still expire after 14 days??

I accept that some customers may choose the wrong option, but surely these are in the minority, or are they? :) Whatever the cause, making the site clearer can only be a good thing.

Indeed, as I stated within the post, I didn't blame Dabs for the faulty goods (it does happen), but I could not believe the lengths I had to go to in order to obtain a refund that I was lawfully entitled to. This is what really grated and, judging by the number of County Court Judgements registered against Dabs.com since the start of this year (7 according to Graydon) my experience is not unique. One has to wonder how many disgruntled customers couldn't be bothered to take such steps to recover their money.

16. psharrock

psharrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AOD

RMA's have to expire because we only get a set time to return product to our suppliers, but at least now we email customers regularily telling them to return the products and how long an RMA is valid for. We then email them a further time to tell them it has timed out.

Yes, customers chosing the wrong option is the minority, however, by changing the website we can persuade them to chose the correct option and give them an instant RMA, instead of having to wait for one and as a result increase their perception of dabs.

In terms of response times, the system does have this, but I do not usually look at this, when I asked earlier in the week, we had one outstanding email as at 5pm on Tuesday.

Paul

17. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I also have had the distinct displeasure of purchasing from DAbs and in my view they are the worst e-tailer I've come across, their of customer care and after sales support is truly shocking. I am surprised that in this extremely competitive market, they mange to stay in business!!!

If you are looking for an LCD to try out I will suggest you look elsewhere

18. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'd just like to add I too feel short changed by a Dabs deal, & thus have not gone back. I can't say I'd be rushing to buy an expensive item like this, with the potential of being disapointed by customer services, & left with a tv you're not happy with. However, I'm heartened to see psharrock 'pin his colours to the mast', & hope he will take something from the discusion. I think of Asda, & Ikea, where they have very liberal returns policy. As far as I know, they're still making lots of money. (I know they're a different types of store). I wouldn't like to run a business with their policys, but if some can make these policys work why can't others?

19. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to add a comment regarding the liberal returns policy of certain stores.

This ability to return goods (possibly because you changed your mind etc) is in addition to our statutory rights.

A lot of stores will do this because they know that customers are more likely to buy again in the future or perhaps buy something secure in the knowledge that it can be returned if necessary.

Where Dabs have come under fire recently is for apparently ignoring our statutory rights. They don't need to have a more liberal policy, just one that conforms to relevant legislation.

At least that's my opinion.

I am encouraged to see that Dabs have invested in this aspect, it will be interesting to see what effect this has had on their sales figures.

Unfortunately they have now joined my personal shopping blacklist, alongside the woefully inept Empire Direct and Simply Computers.

20. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered loads of stuff from Dabs and never had any problems (touch wood), whilst I sympathise with those who have, I just thought I should point out that not everyone receives poor customer service. They are usually my first port of call for any computer kit I need.

21. psharrock

psharrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am aware that all companies are judged on their returns processes and not their despatch processes, and that in the past dabs has concentrated more on the latter.

I am only trying to point out that changes are being made, and I suppose only time will tell if previously unhappy customers will start to buy from dabs again. I am fully aware that this will not happen overnight but how to show customers we have changed is difficult without a new purchase that requires a return.

Online returns was written to give customers at least their statutory rights under SOGA and DSR, however, areas that are not specific within the legislation are grey until case law gives guidance.

I suppose a question I should ask is "What would dabs need to do for you to purchase again?" as I would expect other customers to be in your position.

I'll pass contructive answers on

Paul Sharrock

22. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Back on subject, has anyone actually used one of these displays? Very tempting price indeed. Do Dabs have any sort of have a dead pixel policy?

I too use have used Dabs loads of times over the last few years, and am yet to have any problems. Have returned 2 bits of kit in that time without problem.

23. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've ordered stuff (memory, soundcards what have you) from Dabs before, and would do so again. However, this TV wouldn't be a binary case of working/broken. I'd want it to be watchable. There is no scheme under the current DABS return policy for returning something because you think it is rubbish/unsatisfactory. The description says 'excellent image quality'. Is that quantifiable?

24. psharrock

psharrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As you say the word "Excellent" is not quantifiable and should never have been used.

It looks as though this TV was a one-off purchase, we have no returns on this product yet, but we only have one left. The TV is made by Medion

Paul

25. ansalmo

ansalmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Paul, I see you actually have two different Medion/ Dabsvalue 30" LCD widescreens - the MD-7330 (1 in stock) at 999.00 and the MD-41630 (9 on order) at 1099.00. The specs on the latter model seem pretty good. I don't suppose there's any chance you're able take a look at one and give an (unbiased :)) opinion? I'm sure if it's any good then you'll sell a bucketload to forum readers....

26. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Well I've taken the plunge and ordered the £999 one for the bedroom - someone had to be first :)

Dasbs state I can return it within 7 days if I'm not happy, and pay only for the return delivery costs. I'll keep you posted

27. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a bugger to return a big 23" or 30" tv. Sure they don't have a shop front (as far as I know anyway) but that is one of the reasons why they have good prices. Well someone can take a gamble but you won't be finding many online retailers taking back tv's because you 'didn't like it' or the 'quality was not up to par' though.

With the price I think you can settle for 'less' quality though. Or if you don't like that just spend more or wait a few more years for it to drop.

Me I've waited for about 2yrs for plasma screens to drop to the the right price and quality for my tastes. Hopefuly by 2005 Jan a £3k will get a HD plasma screen that I like :D.

As for dabs I have had great service. Prices were good. No c0ck ups so I am happy to buy stuff from them. All my mates buy from them. I've not had to deal with CS so I can't comment on that and hopefully never will!

Koing

28. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More like bucklet load of deaththreads from pscho AV enthusiasts!

Koing

29. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'd just like to ask re Koings' post. How do all these people go on with Tv returns? Plasma threads are full of 'I sent it back' storys when it didn't please. some exchanges, others for money back. Sorry I know this isn't related to your dabs tv question - perhaps I should start another post.

30. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    BTW I'm not buying it with the intention of returning it - I was just stating that Dabs do now have a 7 day distance selling returns policy. It's all done online, and they arrange collection too - doesn't sound too stressful to me, but hopefully it won't come to that anyway.