1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any views on the Samsung LW26A33XW?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by codfather, Aug 25, 2004.

1. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Recently saw this in the shops and looks great with DVI input. Any one got any views or purchased this LCD yet?

Thanks,
    Kerry

2. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone ahead and ordered this model. Can't fault it in any department after comparing all other models in it's price range.

Superb picture quality, decent sound, great looks plus DVI and PC input after seeing it in the flesh.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    How are you finding it's picture width? Do you notice anything missing? (Especially when there's on-screen graphics & text)

From what I understand from other posters on these forums, the LWxxA33XW's chop the ends off the picture to fill the screen since it's not a true 16:9 res panel and there's no mode where you can see the full width of 16:9 material (i.e. have it very slightly letterboxed with thin black bars top & bottom but with full picture width). This is what's putting me off plumping for the 32" version, as otherwise it beats everything else in terms of spec, and it even looked good in Currys (perhaps a customer set it up for them...)

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Very few lcds seem to have the desired 16:9 ratio. Apart from Toshiba, and the odd Sony it would seem.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    no, but most at least give you a 16:9 mode, with little bars top and bottom, to make sure you see the whole picture (albeit not filling the screen)

This one seems to chop the ends off to fit. Not exactly ideal, but wouldn't expect it to be a deal breaker ?

6. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the 32" version of this tv in currys - It is a really nice tv, very nicely made - picture seems pretty good but i couldn't help noticing the Sony (£2300)seemed to have a bit more sharpness and less noise around the text. Although this could be to do with the noise reduction. Or like someone else said the tv was not set up properly so not a fair comparison. What i intend to do is wait until the samsung 945 dvd player is out. Buy it(its about £160) hack it using a remote control code - take that beauty down to currys and connect it using the hdmi input with 720p mode - this should really show what the sets capable of. Maybe using the dvi cable it will show a full frame with no over-scan - i dunno?. Or even better if someone knows the service menu access code. I could go into currys and have a play around and see if its adjustable. Thats my plan anyway... If anyone does know the service menu code pls. post. Cheers!

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry, but if I'm laying out £2k for a TV, I don't want it chopping off bits of the picture. There's no excuse for this on flat panels as unlike CRT, they should be perfectly capable of displaying the full picture without distortion.

I'm hoping Samsung will have a 16:9 version of their screens out in a few months (or at least a version that adds small black bars above & below a 16:9 picture), as connectivity wise, the 32" seems to be the best out of the current crop of LCD's, and what I've seen of the picture looks mighty encouraging too...

8. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I'll second that.

I've got the LW26A33 and that's my biggest gripe.
    Perhaps more annoying is the attitude of Samsung Customer Services (we've fallen out). I asked if there was any way to get a true 16:9 display and was told that it was a problem with the broadcasts (yes really). She also said that there was no service menu. When I commented that it was a bit of a design fault not having a 16:9 letterboxed mode (especially as it has 3 wide modes and 2 zoom modes as well as 4:3), she replied "Oh no, it's not faulty". She said that the DVI input would give the same results, but by then I was beginning to doubt that she knew what she was talking about.

On the plus side, the picture is good (in my opinion). A PC with Nova-T DVB card connected via VGA worked fine (16:9 letterboxed) so a quiet HTPC is my next project.

Can anyone tell me (seeing as Samsung cannot) how this screen behaves with a DVI DVD-player?

9. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. spencer3958

spencer3958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had decided to get a Samsung until I read these comments. If you are watching football on Sky what happens to any banners on the top and bottom of the screen. are these partially off-screen?

Thanks

David

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If the banners run the full width of the screen then the ends will be chopped off - you should still see the full picture height

12. codfather

codfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a reply from Samsung Technical:

Dear Mr Paul,

Thank you for your email dated 07.09.2004 regarding the LCD TV, I apologise for the delay in response due to a technical issue with the system. The information that you have heard is not correct, there should be no loss of image when using this screen. Certainly we have a LW26 in this office and have never experianced such issues.

I hope this information proves useful, if you have any further issues or queries please don\'t hesitate to contact our customer service line on 0870 242 0303.

Yours Sincerely,

Alan.B

Samsung Electronics

13. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Interesting.

I'm still waiting for a response to my emails.
    Still, the facts remain:
    1. The panel is 15:9 (measure it)
    2. Most widescreen DVB broadcasts are 16:9 I believe (I think some of the BBC ones are 14:9).

These 2 facts imply that the screen must crop the sides, stretch the image vertically or letterbox.