1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any views on Philips 32 inch plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alba77, Dec 31, 2002.

1. alba77

alba77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering a Philips 32 inch plasma screen. I want this size rather than a bigger one because of limited space. Does anyone have any views on this make and size, or alternative suggestions?

2. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Hitachi CL-32PD3000 is meant to be much better. See a review from 'What Video and Widescreen Entertainment' (pdf download) at the www.hitachi.co.uk site.

3. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you can manage the cost GO for the panny37"
    At 32" you might as well have a CRT.
    Don,t allways go on wot those mags say!

4. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    I have seen the Hitachi 32pd3000 next to the Philips 32" and the Hitachi picture quality was way ahead. Analogue TV was especially poor on the Phlips.

I am considering either the Hitachi or the Panny 37". I have seen the Hitachi for about £2500. In comparison the Panny will be about £3300 - once you include the tuner box and stand to bring it up to the same spec as the Hitachi. The Hitachi's quality speakers are also a bonus if like me you are not interested in a surround sound system - I only watch about one DVD a week, mostly its digital TV.

I'm also considering hooking up a portable PC to the plasma so the higher resolution of the Hitachi (1024x852) is an improvement on the Panasonics (800x480). Games may be OK at a 480 resolution but I find text cannot be read at any input other than the native resolution of the screen.

Overall it depends how important the bigger screen is to you - for me 32" is large enough.

5. alba77

alba77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the really useful comments. I'm going to chack out the Hitachi - lots of people seem to be recommending that, but I have to say I've been in loads of retail places and I've never come across one yet. Are they only sold in certain places or have I just been unluck? I'll also revisti the panny and have a rethink about how big I want the screen to be.

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    The Hitachi is a brand new model so many shops have not received them yet. Expect to see more on display by the end of the month. It is on display in Harrods and in a shop on Tottenham Court Road (cannot remember the name). However the shop on TCR gave me a price that was about £500 more than the list price/Harrods price!

7. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    As I have posted before to others. Do you really need the tuner? If you have a digibox or freeview it is very likely that you do not need the tuner at all. Sit down and work out exactly what you need / have and see if it can be wired toether without the tuner.