Question Any views on Chinese brand headphones?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by cR4cKF0x 5TevE, Oct 14, 2016.

1. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
  2. DroidSkin

DroidSkin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    Looks like and sounds like will probably be very different. IMO of course.

I'd probably be more inclined to buy a set of v1 momentum's for around the same price.

3. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    If it's a throw in a bag and use at your destination type of headphone then the Superlux HD662 EVO is well worth a look. However, they are relatively big and not very stylish so perhaps not one for use in public places if that's important!

Superlux HD-662 BK Evo

Easily driven from a phone, tablet or ipod and although they are a tad rough in stock form, with a couple of very simple mods they sound fantastic (can link if interested). Apart from being very good for music listening they are also great for movies and I tended to reach for the EVO over my more expensive (in some cases considerably more) closed backs for movie watching. The bass extends low and has plenty of power without feeling overcooked which I find perfect for rousing film soundtracks, explosions etc.

The trade off is that they are quite plasticky and if a small form factor and a degree of street cred is important then they're probably not the headphone for you and in that case I'd second the recommendation for the Momentum 1 ('over ear' version ideally if you can find a used pair within budget). But if it came down purely to sound quality then I'd have no hesitation in recommending a modded 662 Evo over either the Momentum 1.0 or the newer 2.0 (having owned them all) or pretty much any closed back I've heard / owned for circa £100 or under.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Are there any more "portable" Superlux that you would recommend??

5. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Sorry but I haven't had a chance to try any of their more portable options myself.

A friend from another forum received a couple from Superlux for evaluation though (one already on the market & the other a prototype for an upcoming model) but he wasn't exactly bowled over by either of them. Felt they fell quite a long way short of their 'full sized' headphones.

6. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Complete change of mind: going to add Sony MDR-1A, Lindy NCX-100 and Sennheiser Urbanite XL to my Xmas list.

Any preferences there??

7. Kinetic Frenzy

Kinetic Frenzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Surely it should be your preference! :confused:

After all it will be you listening to the damn things... :facepalm::D

8. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Kinetic Frenzy does make a good point as headphones have their own signatures, some of which you may like whereas others may not be so well suited to your tastes or musical preferences.

Of the three mentioned above the only one I've owned is the MDR-1A. It's a very decent portable headphone with nice looks and good comfort although the pads can make your ears quite warm in the summer months. The sound signature might not be everybody's liking though as the low end is really quite elevated and the treble a bit rolled off, which makes for quite a smooth sounding presentation but perhaps details get obscured a touch. Some find the bass quite overblown and 'diffuse' sounding. Surprisingly though they do have quite a spacious presentation for a closed back design (sometimes quite boxy sounding) which is something I really liked about them.

Another headphone from Sony that is similar but with a bit less bass quantity is the MDR-100AAP, which I believe uses the same drivers as the MDR-1A. They're a bit less premium looking / feeling but in their favour they are really quite lightweight and do fold down a fair bit smaller than the MDR-1A (the MDR-1A really just flattens whereas the 100-AAP folds in on itself). Sound wise I'd say they are on a par with one another and which is 'better' will real boil down to personal taste.

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,571
    You want the low end elevated to drown out the rhythm of the commute

10. Fidalgo

Fidalgo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Regarding your first question, given the prices I would suggest to go to some known brands, specially if you are able to try them or have reliable feedback. Just go the safer path.
    Since you mentioned the Sony MDR-1A, I would also suggest you to look at my choices at another topic: Question - Recomendation on new over-ear headphones

11. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    My good lady bought me a pair of Sony MDR-1A for my birthday: very impressed (with the headphones and her!).