Any views of the Shuttle SP35P2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by psikey, Sep 18, 2007.

1. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Looking to build one as a HTPC/Gaming rig and its due out next week. Anybody any views or have the earlier P2 models to comment on noise levels?

My Rig will be:

• Shuttle SP35P2
    • OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC
    • Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    • C2D E6750 1333fsb CPU
    • DiNovo Edge Wireless keyboard & MX Air Wireless Mouse/Remote

Already have an HD2600XT to put in it but likely to move up to a HD2900 or 8800 (or newer) at some point in the future.

My only gaming resolution requirement is 1366x768 of my Bravia HDTV and 1440x900 on my Samsung LCD. Will fit a Blu-ray drive when prices drop

2. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    *snap*

I'm looking to use the SP35P2 for a gaming / HTPC. Where are you getting yours from ?

3. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    :eek:
    www.komplett.co.uk

Only place I found taking actual orders. Showing 8 due in stock 26/9/07. Ordered mine yesterdy for £280. AIso ordered the Shutte internal memory card reader.

Ambros were showing it as SOON for £345

4. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Komplett stock now revised to 3/10/07

5. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've ordered one of these as well...

Am hoping this spec will work okay, especially when it comes to (a) space and (b) power. From what I've read, it'll be ok.

shuttle sp35p2 pro, pc23 card reader
    samsung sh-s203b dvd burner
    couple of maxtor 250gb hdds (got these at home...)
    2 x 2gb ocz PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-4
    evga 8800gtx acs3
    q6600 95w 2.4ghz

cheers, sp.

6. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Theres a review of the SD39P2 (think thats the part) running similar to your spec but with a couple of 10,00RPM raptor drives & no problem at all. The SP35P2 should be even better as its got the more efficient 80PSU so the 400w might be equivallent to a 450-500w normal PSU.

My systems more modest with 2GB OCZ, E6750, 500GB Spinpoint & 2600XT. Will be changing the graphics card when new ones come out that can do justice to Crysis/Gears Of War etc.

Have to keep each other updated on progress when we get them. Hoping the shipping date doesn't slip again as I have all the parts & just waiting for the case & card reader. Putting MCE2005 on mine as I'm not into Vista yet until games must have it.

7. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'll keep you all posted re: progress (although if I completely botch the build up I'll be too ashamed to post :D )

Was warned off the raptors as, as one person said, "they are noisy buggers!" and "they run hot". Given the rest of the hardware I'm hoping to cram in there, I thought it might be pushing it a bit - plus I've got a couple of unused maxtors which I am hoping to stripe. With some luck the answers to my backup / file sharing problems is arriving soon in the form of a thecus n5200 pro nas device...

I'll be in a similar position to you shortly as I've just pressed the button and ordered the cpu, graphics card, etc etc from various retailers. The thing that will hold everything up will be this shuttle... should be interesting to see what happens to that delivery date :)

Cheers
    sp.

8. ngp

ngp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered the SP35P2 from komplett myself as it sounds like a very capable SFF barebones. Looking to make a decent living room gaming/media rig. Not decided on the full specs yet, will wait till the shuttle arrives :) I assume neither of you have got yours yet?

Will probably get Vista home premium OEM when I buy the CPU (probably q6600 as well) but initially install a spare version of XP in the short term. I have Vista Ultimate on my main PC and I feel it's a bit sluggish in general use, gaming seems okay on it but I'm not completely convinced yet.

Graphics card undecided so far but would probably want one which has HDCP so Vista is happy with it for high def stuff. The 8800 looks quite good but stuff on the net seems to say it will only do 720p through the digital HDMI/HDCP interface, it's okay over analogue though (but Vista may apparently degrade HD material over analogue connections).

I'll probably stick with a Samsung spinpoint for an HD as I've used these in several PCs and they have always had good performance and reliability as well as being quiet.

Cheers

9. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nope. Komplett have revised estimated shipping date to 10/10/07 for my order. I don't like the way they wait until the day before despatch before they decide to revise their date - gives me no confidence in their latest estimate!

Cheers
    sp

10. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Yeh, I'm annoyed :mad: I'm currently on holiday in Cyprus & back at end of week when I was hoping it would have been delivered ready for me to start building. No where else looks to have them though.

Whats even worse is the Hotel internet kiosk is dial-up at around 28kbps so its like going back in time waiting for a page to load especialy when you only have 10 minutes per coin :rolleyes:

Weathers great though :D

11. ngp

ngp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah just got the email saying it is pushed back to 10/10 as well. But as psikey says there isn't a lot of choice of other places to get this. It's probably not Kompletts fault, may just be Shuttle taking their time delivering to the UK.

At least psikey is on hols with nice weather to take his mind off it. Work and grey days don't help :)

12. Mikelore

Mikelore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson:
    I am planning to get one of these badboys hopefully. It will be the first time I'm building a system together since......ages. A few issues for discussion:

- Is this going to be incredibly noisy?
    - What should I be putting in that expansion slot; dedicated sound card/PhysX card/nothing?
    - Do I need a floppy drive if I want to RAID this thing?
    - Is it worth waiting for the Intel 45nms?

At least you guys are getting an ETA date. Here in Switzerland it's not listed on any online shop, or their equivalent of kelkoo.

13. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Hi there Mikelore, my opinions on your questions are:

- subjective - but I bet you it won't be "silent"! Especially if you stick a quad cpu and a big gpu in it. Am hoping to do just this and not get grief from my wife about the noise, so wish me luck :)
    - recommend nothing to start with - you may find your graphics card obstructs something - caveat here I haven't seen a detailed internal layout - my concern is around the double slot cards like the 8800gtx. Wouldn't bother with a physics card unless they became mainstream. Would wait and hear what the sound is like from the mobo...
    - last post in this forum http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240081-14-does-raid-require-floppy-disk-drive seems to indicate that with vista you'll be okay if you have the drivers on a cd. With XP, something like http://www.nliteos.com would work, although I've never tried it.
    - I don't know all the ins and outs about Intel 45nm, however there will ALWAYS be something better round the corner, so it depends upon what you intend to use the system for, and when you want it. I tend to opt for as good a system as I can get at the time, and then accept that during the 3 to 5 year lifespan other better technologies will invariably emerge. Such is life :)

14. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :D Well said, however I am not sure which I would prefer, when the ETA keeps moving backwards!

15. Mikelore

Mikelore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very informative Sparkle, nice one! :clap:

Exactly what I'm going to do (minus the wife bit) haha!

I wouldn't worry about the double slot gfx cards, it specifically mentions on the Shuttle website that there's enough space for double slot gfx cards. I believe the first few varitions of this P2 chassis actually accommodated for dual ATI's in Crossfire (!!!). Which is a bit ridiculous, but also suggests we have enough space for at least one.

Thanks for the links, I'm definitely going to do a RAID with this. Will probably stick with WinXP due to problems I hear regarding Vista and drivers. Not sure about MCE (any benefits in getting this rather than bog-standard XP?) I'm going to use it for a bit of gaming (work permitting) and as something to watch TV/DVDs on, so I will be buying a big juicy monitor with this too:devil:.

I'm also contemplating using this for work (involves stupidly large spreadsheets that shouldn't even be running on excel in the 1st place), so I would prefer a quick cpu, that's why I wasn't sure about waiting for 45nms. But then if I really wanted to use it for work I should be getting the 64bit OS's which I won't be getting, again due to compatibility issues I might have. So might not bother with this idea anyway...:confused:

16. timw2000

timw2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have one of these on order too (komplett), I just checked the order status and the date has moved again to the 17th Oct (was moved to the 10th yesterday from the 3rd too). :(

Looks like Shuttle are going to keep us all waiting on this one!

Tim

17. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello Tim, hey there's a fair few of us now who are going for this system, we should be able to share experiences (maybe have a sweepstake on who gets their system first ;) )

As I've mentioned previously I have little confidence in the komplett estimated dates, but that's purely because I'm a pessimist at heart ;) If I were an optimist, I would point out that komplett may be referring to the *next* batch of unallocated stock, rather than *our* items which are still shown as the 10th according to my account anyway.

But, in the meantime, it might be interesting to understand who is opting for xp, and who for vista. Then again, that might be deathly dull. :boring: Anyhow, I've bitten the bullet and ordered vista ultimate 64 bit (oem). Can I justify it? probably not - but my thinking was something like - "I don't upgrade very often, now would be a good time" and "might be nice to see the directx10 stuff on this whizz bang gpu", and also considerations re:64 bit for RAM and such like, basically I'm gambling on the hope that most drivers are now there...

What build are you going for Tim?

18. timw2000

timw2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Sparkle,

I check my account again, and it does say the 10th, but if you click on the item it says the 17th, so hopefully you are right and well get ours on the 10/11th :)

I'm going for the following items:
    - Q6600 CPU (not really planning to over clock - yet).
    - 4GB RAM (Corsair 2x2GB TWINX).
    - Going to use my existing graphics card 7800GT for now - looking at 8600GTS??
    - Current sound card, PCI EchoAudio Gina 24 - I make music so need this - Hence limited to single slot graphics card.
    - 2x500GB Seagate SATA Hard Drives, not sure whether to leave as seperate / RAID 0 or RAID 1...
    - Samsung DVD Writer (SATA)
    - Currently thinking of getting a 24" Dell 2407WFP Screen (maybe a bit of a luxury)???

OS wise I'm toying between Vista 64 Ultimate, XP x64, Vista 32 or just XP 32. Want 64 bit really so I can use all 4GB of RAM.

Would like Vista 64 but not sure it will support my USB MIDI controller - looking around the web, I say no, but we'll see. Will start out with Vista and see where I end up. I know for sure all my hardware work with XP32 (current OS).

Once we receive our systems I'm sure we'll be sharing our experiences! One thing for sure, I'm not going to upgrade the BIOS if I can help it, I've read a few horror stories about Shuttle systems (previous models to the SP35P") having issues with BIOS upgrades. My current Shuttle SB81P had an issue too, but I managed to downgrade and all is fine - "Don't fix it if it's not broken" is something I should always have in my mind :)

Cheers,

Tim.

19. ngp

ngp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mikelore,

As sparkle999 says it should be a relatively quiet system and the main noise will probably come from whatever graphics card you add to the system. It wont be as quiet as the shuttles designed to be more media centre orientated.

On needing a floppy drive, I've used a Sony USB floppy drive for RAID controller drivers when installing XP. For Vista it should be able to use either a CD, floppy or USB stick.

Cheers

20. Mikelore

Mikelore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim, have you considered using the Intel Matrix RAID thing where you get both RAID 0 and RAID 1? You can set up a partition where a portion of your drive is RAID 0 (for games, videos, OS, etc) and another portion for crucial documents and data in RAID 1. Not exactly sure how to go about doing this but I'll be aiming for this.

I'm thinking of getting one too. Is this the best 24" monitor around? From what I've been reading in these forums, there's a general agreement that this Dell or the Samsung are the best ones. Anyone know why?

I won't be winning this. They'll deliver truckloads to germany before thinking about driving into the Swiss alps.

Sparkle, you are actually going for Vista 64bit? Risk-lover eh? Seriously, is anything going to work with that, I mean don't you need software to be written in 64-bit just for it to work?? So that will mean no games and ... not much else...? I'm thinking a dual-boot might be worth a shot though.

21. timw2000

timw2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have that arrangement with my current shuttle, RAID 0 for my C drive (OS installed here) and RAID 1 for by D drive (My Documents etc). My concern with this is that if one of the hard drives dies, I loose my C drive (RAID 0) and thus possible loose access to by D drive and hence the RAID 1 is useless?? I'm just thinking of gave two separate drives for now and backing up to a USB external hard drive. But still undecided, may just do a RAID 1??

If anyone has comments on using the Matrix solution I have now and what happens when a drive goes bad I'd be interested to here. This is a good config as you get best of both worlds in just two disks. If I had the space in the shuttle and didn't care about cost or heat, I'd put a third drive in and do a RAID 5, that is the best that the shuttle can do!

Cheers,

Tim.

22. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Haha yes, I might be kicking myself in a few weeks. I think if I were making the decision, say, back in January/February of this year, I wouldn't have considered it. Things appear to have improved, e.g. reading the release notes for the 64 bit version of the nvidia gpu driver gives me *some* comfort that many top titles will work; also see here: http://ve3dboards.ign.com/gaming/b10625/26114241/p1/?0 and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427. When it comes to "can it only run 64 bit compiled apps?" my understanding is that the 64 bit chip recognises 32 bit compiled code and switches into a 32-bit mode, which runs just as fast as 32-bit native.

As you indicate, though, I think there will be an unhealthy dose of compatibility problems, especially with many older titles. Still, that's "progress" for you. Should make for some entertaining forum posts/cries for help :) (assuming I can get web access working ;) )

23. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, you can tie yourself in knots with this one! My opinion would be to go for a simple solution, not a complicated one, because simple solutions usually work best :)

If one of your drives completely died, I think you'd be unable to boot, rendering your mirroring useless.

If you *deleted* a precious file by mistake, your mirroring system would delete the same file from your mirrored disk. My point is, RAID mirroring is not a backup - it just provides a degree of hardware fault tolerance. You still need to backup your data!

If you accept that you will need to do regular backups, having 2 independent disks sounds more attractive, especially if you make them both bootable (i.e. windows o/s on both) - then you can automate the backup process, (e.g. norton ghost or whatever). In the event of a disk failing, you can boot from the other one and use it to restore the image to a new drive.

If you stripe your 2 disks then your risk disruption from hardware failure becomes higher. If you are taking regular backups, this may not be a big deal.

I ended up biting the bullet and opting for a NAS device. Since we have multiple PCs in our house, I wanted to centralise storage for things such as my documents, outlook files, music collection (with slimserver streaming s/ware), photography, and importantly, backups of each client PC. Also something to run the slimserver media streaming software. Device is N5200 Pro with 5x500GB disks in RAID 5.

Even with that setup, there is risk. RAID can controllers break. What if I delete the raid array by mistake? If we get robbed, someone could take the PCs AND the NAS box as they are all together. Then there's fire...

The only bullet proof way of eliminating risk is to have an offsite backup. It boils down to how much effort you are prepared to make to reduce risk. Personally, I'm considering going for "regular backups to NAS" and "raid 0" option.

I know everyone will want to keep their boot-up times to a minimum. Does anyone know anything about this concept of turbo memory? How does it work, is this something that is available now, and does it reduce boot up times?

Sorry for going on (and on...) :D
    cheers
    sp.

24. Mikelore

Mikelore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not only that but won't certain applications and games in particular run a good deal slower? Not only 64bit apps but also those running in 32bit compatibility mode would be a lot slower too?

Tim, I have a CD that boots into Linux straight off the CD. I think there's quite a few of them about on the net, I'll have to find you a link at some point. That will solve the issue of not being able to boot into an OS. Alternatively you could just put the OS on RAID1, and still have your page file and games in the RAID 0 partition.

25. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Back from Cyprus :thumbsdow

Mines still showing 10/10/07.

I'm not a power user with RAID & 64bit OS, just looking to move on from my old midiTower P4 6600GT to a small modern box that can act as a good mediaPC using MCE2005 and take better graphics cards for the latest games (currently just going to put the 2600XT in it as that plays Bioshock fine with full detail at 1360x768 on my Bravia 32" HDTV). Other components as mentioned in first post.

The 2600XT can handle any video format with ease and I'm going to use the single digital tuner card out of my current box. Bought an X10 RF media remote off ebay for Media Center use and it's excellent quality for less than £15.

[​IMG]

26. ngp

ngp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tend to use hibernate for fast booting. Although whether this is successful or not can depend on the ability of the device drivers as they do not always re-initialise correctly when coming out of hibernation.

Isn't turbo memory just using a flash memory USB stick as a small solid state hard drive. The theory being it may be quicker to read off the USB flash drive than the hard drive. Never tried it myself, the reviews I've seen say it doesn't make a huge difference.

27. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    With all the discussions on Vista 64bit I did a bit of reading and compatibility checking and all my hardware has Vista 64bit drivers.

All the latest games look to be OK with Vista 64bit too so I've decided to increase my system RAM from 2GB to 4GB (OCZ Platimum 4 x 1GB) and ordered 64bit OEM Vista Premium from ebuyer.

Want to get everything done at the same time so will possibly dual-boot Vista 64bit with XP MCE2005 32bit.

Would need to go Vista at some point and 64bit looks the logical choice for the SP35P2 modern rig.

28. timw2000

timw2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well it looks like I'm going to loose the sweepstake, my order now is saying 17th for expected stock :(

However, I'm sure that komplett aren't the issue here, I can't find a single supplier in the UK that has any stock, haven't found anyone that's actually got one yet inc people in the USA.

Ho hum, the longer it takes the easier it will be to afford! I just ordered that Dell 2407 LCD today!! With a ship date around the 17 it should appear on my next months credit card - that'll help! :)

Good luck in all those waiting to get one before me!

Tim.

29. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Just checked my account page @20:51 -

Shuttle SP35P2 Pro Barebone Black, Intel
    P35 Express, 775, PCI-E, SATA, Gbe LAN
    1 pcs estimated shipping on 2007-10-10

So not changed yet but won't hold my breath!!

My order date was 24/9/07

30. Mikelore

Mikelore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still waitinig here in the swiss.

Saw this very nice HP widescreen monitor in a number of shops. It always catches my eye and looks stunning. I have a feeling it's out of my price range though. How much did that Dell set you back?

Now that you all seem so confident on getting 64bit Vista, I think I will take the plunge as well and dual boot. Won't hurt right? I will dual boot with 32bit XP, but what's the advantage of getting XP MCE?

PsyKey, that's a nice remote mate, what brand TV card are you using? TV cards seem to be a bit flakey, well the software that goes with it are at least. Any recommendations here? i used to have a Pinnacle USBTV, which for an analog TV card worked fine. I hear the digital ones are a bit dodgy.