1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any used a Sony KV21LS30?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rupbert, Jun 28, 2002.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As heading.

Looking for a small TV for my room to play some DVD's on, would like some feedback...

Its the dearest 21" 4:3 TV I could find, but £250 still sounds cheap to me...

Cheers

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is a mono set isn't it?

3. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Nicam Stereo

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it is. You might be able to get a 24" widescreen for a bit more. But I should imagine that the 21" will be as good as a KV24LS35 seeing as it appears to be more or less the 4:3 version.

5. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks, so is the KV24LS35 that good?

I can get is for £465 but having never seen the TV in person, I imagine a 24" widescreen would look very small especially when using letter box mode...

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LS35s are pretty good from what I've seen. At that price though, seeing as it's for a bedroom, you'd probably want to go for the 21".

When a DVD plays in letter box mode (i.e. widescreen within a 4:3 frame), you use the zoom function on widescreen TVs to zoom it to full screen.

7. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    'zoom function on widescreen TVs to zoom it to full screen'

The zoom function is another word for pan and scan?

And when this is selected, what component retains the 'cut' picture's original quality?

Is it the DVD and its block noise reduction? Or the TV's ability to display the image?

Cheers,

EDIT

I have a Sony DVPNS405 DVD player :D

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. There are 2 types of widescreen... one is anamorphic widescreen, which is designed for widescreen TVs and has extra vertical resolution... the other is letterbox widescreen, which is the widescreen that you get on VHS. On a widescreen TV, this will display as a 4:3 image so you will see black bars at the top, at the bottom, and on both the left and the right. When you press the zoom button, you zoom in on the image so it fills the screen as much as possible (usually it fills the whole screen). The left and right black bars definitely disappear, sometimes you are still left with black bars at the top and bottom, depending on the aspect ratio, but this is rare in my experience.

I'm not sure I understand your question. But, BNR is nothing to do with this - it deals with noise on DVDs (not that I've ever seen a difference on my Sony DVD player by turning BNR on :rolleyes:).

When you have a widescreen TV, you will set the DVD player option to 16:9 so that the player will output the anamorphic or letterbox image and pan and scan becomes a thing of the past as do cropped images ;)

I hope that makes sense :)

P.S. It's very handy being able to use the TV buttons on the DVD player's remote when you have a Sony TV as well ;) But then I'm just lazy :D

9. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers, so when I am buying a DVD movie and I do not want to see the top and bottom black bars (letter box) I buy one with the ratio 2:35:1 (widescreen)?

Is anamorphic listed as 2:35:2?

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah! Now it gets a little complicated. It would be nice if it worked like that, but it doesn't unfortunately :(

When you a buy a DVD look for words like "anamorphic" or "16:9 enhanced". (Sometimes the packaging is marked up incorrectly however and this filters through to the web sites!! :mad: But this is rare, and in these cases, you should have no problems getting your money back).

The aspect ratio itself is independent. It merely relates to the ratio between the horizontal and the vertical resolutions, whether the picture is 16cm wide by 9cm high, or 16m wide by 9m high.

Thus, even with anamorphic widescreen, you can still get black bars at the top and the bottom but these will certainly be smaller than on a 4:3 TV! It's preferable in my opinion as well, because it means that you are getting the full width of the cinematic release.

However, if something is anamorphic widescreen and it is between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 then no black bars (because of the overscan on CRT TVs). Likewise, if something is in letterbox widescreen but it is 1.78:1 to 1.85:1 then no black bars when you use the TV's zoom. :)