Any use for old Sky box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bitofatit, Oct 15, 2005.

1. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Upgraded recently to Sky+. I was wondering if my old sky digital box would be any use to the "mother-in-law", no jokes please. I made the mistake of mentioning this to her, she will not pay a subscription (shes a pensioner) but would benefit from free to air via a sky dish. As she live up a valley, in S.Wales the PQ on her normal terrestial signal is appalling.
    I'm happy to pay the £40 to get a dish and cable put in but what I need to know is what exactly she could get without a subscription. Someone indicated Sky scramble some free to air such as Channel 5 is that true?

Any help much appreciated, a positive response may ensure free sunday lunches for me for at least the next 6 weeks!
    Regards.

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

TV-wise, (With a Freesat card) she'd get all the existing terrestrial channels in digital quality. Plus stuff like BBC3,4,News24,and ITV3, Sky News, ITV News and a few others.

It's well worth doing IMO. You need to budget another 20 quid for the Freesat card.

Gav

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    She will need a "free to air" card which costs a one-off £20, and she will get all the free channels.

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bitofatit,

This is a good website to show you what channels are available. You can also buy the card from there.

http://www.wickonline.com/ita.htm

You will certainly be in her good books, and you can look forward to having some delicious roast Welsh lamb!

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't get the website by clicking on it, put it in the usual Address section. My computer's playing up at the moment and I keep getting the same Internet Optimizer website when I click on something. I uninstalled my expensive Norton Anti Virus package as my computer was so slow.

6. WorKid

WorKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norton is AWFUL. Get a free AV solution instead - AVG or Avast or something,

7. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Guys,
    thx Nick and Gav for the advice - freesat card - I'll do a search to pick one up. I'm hoping this is a one off fee as "she" will not pay for a subscription. Cynthia 7, I tried the link and searched from the home page as well but no luck - off to try google.
    Best regards all around
    B of a T

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Yes it's a one off fee for a "Free To View" or FTV card i.e. Freesat card (no subs).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    From: http://www.satalogue.com/section1/page1.htm (also lists all the channels you'll get)

"For ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, a Freesat Card will be required..The cost of this 3 year Card card is just £20.00 and it is easily obtainable by calling 0870 850 0033 and asking for a Freesat Card to be sent to any UK address.."

Dunno if it's accurate but give it a go.

Gav

10. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bitofatit,

Sorry, I hadn't looked at that site for a while. This site has cards for £18.95 delivery free to Uk. It also has an up to date list of available programmes with this card. Your mother in law will probably love the two free movie channels:

matinee movies channel 336 showing from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    true movies channel 333 which is on 24 hours although there may be some repeats.

http://www.freesatcard.co.uk/tvchannel.htm

11. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Got me thinking now....just had a flyer from Sky saying I can get either £50 in vouchers or an upgrade to Sky+ 160 (worth apparently £199) if i introduce someone to Sky. Question is do I go with plan A - get the sky dish installed (£45), new handset (posisble e-bay - say £8), cost of freesat card with postage £21, add in £50 of vouchers ("cost" in total £126) against Plan B getting Sky to install and take a subscription which I pay for, 3 months @£7.50 + 9 @ £15 - total £157.50 + free sat card in 12 months time total £178.50). If I get the upgraded box and the one for mum in law, both will have a 12 month guarantee and I guess she gets additional channels for 12 months??.... I'm loosing the plot here: make my mind up for me anyone? - B of a T :blush:

12. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Actually, you won't need a Freesat card in 12 months ... a lapsed Sky card will act as a de facto Freesat card. So for about a 30 quid difference, you get a 'better' Sky+ box and she gets a 'new' digibox plus additional channels for a year. Seems reasonable.

Note that there are Dolby Digital problems reported with the 160 boxes. Also note that she might get a refurbed digibox. OTOH it will have a guarantee which the old one won't have.

Gav

13. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi WorKid,

Thank you for your advice. I'll Google AVG and Avast to find out about this. I cannot find the original Norton CD which cost me about £45. My son, who is a computer expert. said I don't have enough memory on my Dell laptop and it was now operating at an unacceptable speed. He said it's not worth buying new memory for a
    four year old ME computer. However, I am really plagued with bugs at the moment so I must do something. Jonathan says I must learn to sort things out for myself or I will never learn, too true. I try to resist phoning him when I'm in trouble!

Thank you again.

14. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bitofatit,

I would definitely go for plan B, get Sky installed for ma-in-law. You will both have new guarantees, she will have a new installation, you will have a lovely big planner, and far less hassle all round.

Go for it!!!

15. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Cynthia, Gavan, thx for the support .. Plan B it is then. Later.
    B of a T