Any upscaling DVD players that outperform the PS3

Haze

A quick question but one I'm having trouble finding an answer for. Are there any upscaling DVD players on the market that outperform the the PS3 in playback quality? I was eyeing a Marantz DV7001 but its an expensive proposition especially given the fact I have such a high quality DVD player already in the PS3.

So just for my own curiosity are there any DVD players that are just straight better than the PS3?

Nadict

Standard Member
Intersting that you should ask as after watching a couple of dvd's today on the PS3 I think it delivers a better picture than my Nad T515 dvd player :confused:

Haze

I can't really fault the PS3 DVD performance on anything specific. Its upscaling and deinterlacing is flawless, even with your face an inch from the screen you will never see a mosquito edge or interlacing artefact. Still I have a Marantz DV6600 from before I got the PS3 and I swear it handles motion better. At the very least the 6600 has better sound and brighter (though possibly less natural) colours.

I am yet to find a benchmark test for the PS3 after the 1.80 update so comparing it to dedicated high-end players like the DV7001 is hard. I was hoping someone here had personal experience with both.

scorpion88

Novice Member
I think the Oppo's 980/981/983 deserve consideration. Cheers

wrist

I Have A PS3 And Oppo 981. I Prefer To Watch Upscaled SD And XviD Via The Oppo. Looks Better To Me?

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
The Oppo has much more fine detail through better MPEG decoding in the first instance. I find the PS3 picture from DVD can feel a bit flat and lifeless compared to more higher-end players.

Haze

Thanks! Two things. Can you confirm that the region free hack works and does opposhop deliver to Ireland ;)

mephistophelean

Just to say I have both the Marantz DV7001 and the PS3 and the picture quality from the DV7001 is much better. I would say that sound quality is better too (if that's important) especially SACD and CD.

abix

Standard Member
Did not wanted to start new thread, because there are so many similar.
There seems to be consensus that dvd players are better upscalers than tv sets, but how about Pioneer 9G Kuro, are they as good upscalers as for instance PS3 (which seems to be very good upscaler)?
My problem is wether to buy "normal" dvd player and send not upscaled signal to Kuro or buy PS3 and let this to do the work. Which one gives better results (at this point PS3s other functionality is not an argument)?

Avi

Distinguished Member
Thanks! Two things. Can you confirm that the region free hack works and does opposhop deliver to Ireland ;)
The Oppo is available from crtprojectors.co.uk and IIRC they ship to UK and Europe. The mr DVD hack is usually just a series of keys on the remote and on the units I've used worked without any issue although you may need to do it again if you update fw.

AVI

Avi

Distinguished Member
Did not wanted to start new thread, because there are so many similar.
There seems to be consensus that dvd players are better upscalers than tv sets, but how about Pioneer 9G Kuro, are they as good upscalers as for instance PS3 (which seems to be very good upscaler)?
My problem is wether to buy "normal" dvd player and send not upscaled signal to Kuro or buy PS3 and let this to do the work. Which one gives better results (at this point PS3s other functionality is not an argument)?
It really depends on what you mean by "better upscalers". Upscaling tends to be used as term that encompasses video processing quality rather than just resolution interpolation. There are several critical stages involved in producing a high quality DVD image. These are 1) mpeg decoding, 2) deinterlacing and 3) finally resolution interpolation to higher than native res. With the later the end result often depend on the scaling algorithm used and the different visual results may be more about personal taste. If 1 and 2 are not done well this will have a direct impact on how well the display can process the image. Usually most players only send progressive SD level signals over HDMI. Thus the display may be left with scaling an image that is already flawed and GIGO principle applies as the display may be unable to correct the flaws.

AVI

abix

Standard Member
It really depends on what you mean by "better upscalers". Upscaling tends to be used as term that encompasses video processing quality rather than just resolution interpolation. There are several critical stages involved in producing a high quality DVD image. These are 1) mpeg decoding, 2) deinterlacing and 3) finally resolution interpolation to higher than native res. With the later the end result often depend on the scaling algorithm used and the different visual results may be more about personal taste. If 1 and 2 are not done well this will have a direct impact on how well the display can process the image. Usually most players only send progressive SD level signals over HDMI. Thus the display may be left with scaling an image that is already flawed and GIGO principle applies as the display may be unable to correct the flaws.

AVI
OK. Thank's.
And how the PS3 handles stages 1 and 2 against to... say max 150£ dvd player?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom