Any upgrades required?

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

My current rig

Intel i7 920, Asus PT6 deluxe mobo OC to 3.8ghz, memory 3x2GB DDR3 PC3-16000 , GTX 580 GPU & corsair 750w PSU!

I want to make sure i stay ahead of the game when it cones to getting the best out of next gen games!

Can the experts advise if i need to think about any upgrades to achieve this?

I was thinking of going for the GTX 670 and is my memory still ok at 6gb of DDR3?

Thanks and suggestions welcome:thumbsup:

memories fine, I'd get a 680 or 7950/70 in there, theyre certainly cheap enough now, I wouldnt bother with the 670 when the 680 can be had for so little more.

As far as next gen goes, you may find the cpu struggles, you may not, thats all up in the air at the moment, so i'd leave the cpu upgrade until next gen hits.

If you havent, get an ssd in there as well.

What resolution do you play at? If it is 1080p then you will probably see about 10 - 15 fps difference between a GTX 580 and a GTX 670. One thing that will help though is the extra gpu memory on the GTX 670. The system ram should be ok for now.

Dr Force, hello mate. :smashin:

What is your budget? If you can stretch to a GTX780 or wait for AMDs new 290X to arrive then these are the cards I would go for in terms of longevity. If you dont want to stretch that far then a 680/770 or a 7970/7950 would be the cards to look at with a custom cooler.

CPU should be fine as it's a 4 core/8 thread, however the GTX580 will probably start to struggle in the next 3-6 months once games start coming out that have been developed for the next gen consoles alongside PC.

My 580 copes perfectly fine with normal games, but with games like BF4 will start to see it struggle, especially around vram, 1.5Gb isn't much these days.

Deffo look at 3GB of vram minimum if you want to keep it a couple of years, 2GB will be outdated very soon, even on 1080p.

Once RAM goes back to normal prices, I'd grab a set of 3x2GB dimms to go to 12GB. Purely becuase 6GB of RAM might be pushing it a bit with the next gen of games. I noticed a huge difference in BF3 going from 4GB to 8GB, and BF4 recommends 8GB. I know BF4 technically isn't a next gen game, but it's one of the few games that's not a console port and will properly push a system and cpu before the next gen games are out.

Primary upgrades would be a gpu with 3Gb of vram (razer's suggestions) and more ram when it's cheaper. :smashin:

Thats a very similar spec to my machine and i'm also currently on the fence, whether i upgrade my GPU or not now

As Chox said a SSD is probably the upgrade which you would notice day to day most, i put a new Samsung 840 pro in my rig a couple of weeks ago and i have even noticed a difference in the SSD it replaced (Crucial 64Gb).

I'm waiting to see if the next game i really want to play (Watchdogs) makes my rig struggle at the resolutions i play at (1080p) as the only game i struggle on Ultra with currently is Far Cry 3 - it still looks good on the settings i can use.

I also hope that the 290x starts a bit of a price war with Nvidia on the GTX780

I'm going to wait on the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade until the next gen (Haswell-E) or until Razor nags me to spend more money....

Thats a very similar spec to my machine and i'm also currently on the fence, whether i upgrade my GPU or not now

I'm going to wait on the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade until the next gen (Haswell-E) or until Razor nags me to spend more money....

Thats because I speced up both of your rigs. :devil:

See what the prices of the 290 and 290X come in at. The 290 could be a very sensible choice if it's a repeat of the 7950/7970 situation. That's if you don't mind a bit of overclocking.

GTX780 will see you good for a while but it's stil about £100-150 overpriced at the moment. Depends on budget and what you want to pay.

Like Chox said, GTX680 prices have fallen through the floor recently so that's where I would be looking, if not a 7970GHz edition.

Haswell-E is about a year away, so a long time to wait. And it'll use DDR4, which should be good, but also very heavy on the wallet. Can't imagine how much DDR4 ram will be!

Ivy-e has just come out, and there's been a new line of x79 motherboards along with it.

Haswell-E is about a year away, so a long time to wait. And it'll use DDR4, which should be good, but also very heavy on the wallet. Can't imagine how much DDR4 ram will be!

Ivy-e has just come out, and there's been a new line of x79 motherboards along with it.

My current Rig is nearly 3 years old as i bought the GTX580 as soon as it launched, so i guess for the usage I've had i can't complain.

I'm lucky that budget isn't a major issue for me, but if Watchdogs is as good as the hype and needs a major upgrade then i might not wait :devil:

I'm lucky that budget isn't a major issue for me, but if Watchdogs is as good as the hype and needs a major upgrade then i might not wait :devil:

You really shouldnt say things like that here :D Before you know it you've spent £1500

You really shouldnt say things like that here :D Before you know it Razor has spent £1500 for you

Have corrected the above statement ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your support fella's

I like the look of the GTX780, but still wondering about the memory and what about the PSU?

Well I've got pretty much the same spec but I've got a 670 and SSD. Nothing I've got has any issues just now but I'm probably going upgrade in another 12 months.

The way I'm looking at it I'll go for a full change and get the best I can afford at the time.

Thanks for your support fella's

I like the look of the GTX780, but still wondering about the memory and what about the PSU?

Your 750w PSU will be more than enough for a 780 and the rest of your system.

psu is more than enough, probably forever if you stick with single gpu's.

The memory for now is enough, in a few months you might want a bit more, but for the upcoming time the only thing i'd change is the gpu.

I have almost the exact same system as the OP, and I am defiantly upgrading the lot to be ready for the next level of games.

Guys i am going for the gtx780, looks a monster and should be ok for a couple of years at least.

I want to add more DDR3 ram to make it 10-12GB can you recommend what to get? Should i get 3x 2GB or 1x4GB?? Will it make a difference? If its 2x3 and 1x4?

Looks like the future will need 8gb of ram so just want a good few years of next gen pc gaming!

Thanks
Dave

Guys i am going for the gtx780, looks a monster and should be ok for a couple of years at least.

I want to add more DDR3 ram to make it 10-12GB can you recommend what to get? Should i get 3x 2GB or 1x4GB?? Will it make a difference? If its 2x3 and 1x4?

Looks like the future will need 8gb of ram so just want a good few years of next gen pc gaming!

Thanks
Dave

You've got triple channel ram, so best to get a set of 3 dimms, ideally matching the size/type of what you have already. i.e.e so they're all the same.

Oh and you might want to wait on the GTX780, the R9 290/x from AMD might the same performance and/or cheaper than a 780. Only about a week or less to wait until prices and performance should be released.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That's the same ram I have in my x58 setup. My original ram died so I bought 12gb of that stuff to replace it.

As for the gpu I would go for the evga superclocked ACX. Evga have a first class warranty and the cooler is a decent one in terms of noise and temps. :)

The other thing is AMD supporting the new consoles! Does that mean a Radeon GPU would mean better optimisation from next gen console ports rather than Nvidia?

The best answer you'll get is, there is every chance of that being the case, we'll have to wait and see :)

Ok so it looks like £650 upgrade:D

Im really torn in deciding to cancel my PS4 order and just stay with my PC given this upgrade. I should be able to max out everything for 1080p gaming and should last me a good couple of years without it being stretched on any game:confused:

Games i want

Battlefield 4
Watch Dogs
The Division
Thief
FIFA

All on PC and will be able to use a wireless pad. Next gen consoles also give me worries in respect of jaggies on a 92" screen, whereas i can adjust it in the PC. My PC is set up nicely in the HC Room with great sound etc so what do you guys think?

Sounds like a bit of a no brainer, i'd go with the pc tbh, i use a pj as well and the console stretched across it is pretty grim, and i love my consoles.

Sounds like a bit of a no brainer, i'd go with the pc tbh, i use a pj as well and the console stretched across it is pretty grim, and i love my consoles.

Im leaning that way TBH, i just know due to how power hungry the AA is that the consoles will simply not be as good:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom