1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any update on getting Panny 6 DVI board to work with HTPC?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Madders, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi, I just wondered if there has been any update on getting more resolutions to work from a HTPC to a Panny 6 plasma with DVI board? Up till now only very few "odd" resolutions work.

Is there some sort of downloadable flash update or something?

Cheers,

Steve

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the message from Panasonic was, you guys buy the D6 and the board and we'll work on the fix in the meantime. And now they are going to turn around and say, you know what, we may as well fix it in D7

3. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well I posted about this in another thread yesterday. As far as I'm concerned it seems to work just fine without any fixes - at least on the 50" model connected up to a stock 9600 radeon. It takes some tweaking, and won't do anything other than 60Hz(ish) but so far thats the only problem.

I'd welcome a fix from panasonic to get it to do other refresh rates, and they could certainly make it easier to get (by having the correct information stored on the card in the first place) - but it does work if you feed it right and set the screen up...

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    So does it do 1366x768 too?

Only supporting 60Hz vertical refresh rate is quite a serious problem; it's a rubbish refresh for gaming and not very useful for the full array of video playback.

Sign, I'll be keeping my Panny5 50" and PC input via VGA ... wonder what the Panny7 specs are going to be?

StooMonster

5. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, it's doing 1366x768 (well ok, it's 1368x768 with a two pixel overscan).

I agree it's a serious limitation only doing 60Hz, and one I'd welcome a fix for (official or otherwise). Seems to be a restriction that applies to all the inputs though, not just DVI - I couldn't get a stable 1368x768 on VGA at anything other than 60Hz either. It seems only able to cope with higher refresh rates at lower resolutions. I must try feeding it a 720P resolution signal and see if I can convice it to do that at more sane refresh rates.

Not sure I'd agree it's a problem for gaming - it's enough for smooth motion and I'm not sure what else you'd want. But certainly a problem for using a variety of video outputs. There're visible motion problems from a 50Hz source and sadly I watch a lot of PAL material.

So in short - yes, DVI seems to work (at least for me). But the panel itself seems to have some short-comings in refresh rate which may or may not be a more serious problem in the long run (if they can't be addressed). For me I can live with it, and until something much better comes along (or a rich relative dies) I doubt I'll be upgrading.

(one caveat - it's not a single refresh rate that works, just a very narrow band. So you can do 60Hz, and you can do 59.94Hz, and probably a few Hz either side - just not anything useful like 50, 72 or 75...)

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I've Panny5 50" running 1366x768 -- not 1368x768 -- at 60Hz, 70Hz, 72Hz, 75Hz, 80Hz, 85Hz via VGA and all stable and "snapped in".

By games I means games I play :blush: which are mostly FSP, e.g. BF1942 on 50" plasma is great! And for all FPS 60Hz is too slow, and even 85Hz is slower than I like. All about how many full frames per second you can get.

Personally I couldn't put up with jjuddderr of watching a 50Hz souce at 60Hz; I'd rather use a different (analogue) input.

StooMonster

7. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As far as my panel is concerned, the resolution is 1366x768 - it's "snapped in" as you put it - I'm never going to notice the pixel missing at each side.

Well if you can see the difference in motion between 60 and 85 or higher I'll take your word for it. I know the eye is a lot more sensitive to motion than some people give it credit for, but I'm generally of the opinion that the difference is mostly going to be slightly uneven PC framerates being more acceptable the higher you go, rather than the actual refresh of the display making much difference (apart from reducing flicker, but that doesn't seem to be as much of a problem on a plasma). If anything I see a slight image lag anyway so I'd suspect any higher rates would just get lost.

But if it makes you happy and your panel can do it, then why not! :) I'm admit it.. I'm envious that my panel won't touch different refresh rates...

But so far the jury is out on whether I can put up with the motion problems on PAL or not, given the improvement in picture quality (which is noticeable). If feeding it digital (or even analog) 720p gives me greater freedom, then I'd probably go that route and accept an amount of scaling from the panel. I don't at the moment have access to a source other than the PC though so it'd take some tweaking to set up.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    "Snapped in" is typically a term for analogue input to get as near to a digital quality picture as possible, with 1:1 pixel match and no use of screen's internal scaler.

My desktop monitor runs many games run at 150MHz plus, not only for anti-flicker but to display the number of frames the graphics card can output and not limit them to vertical refresh rate of the display. Silky smooth and fast graphics help performance in FirstPersonShooters. :devil:

As to motion judder, 3:2 pulldown annoys me and 50/60Hz equally so.

The series 6 will do the same refresh rates / resolution as the series 5 via the VGA analogue input though; it's just DVI that is locked to 60Hz-ish. Could you cable both DVI and VGA to the screen, and then switch input for content; PAL would be in analogue and without judder (and if "snapped in" not bad picture either). :D

StooMonster

9. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I mentioned this in another post, but I can't actually convince it to produce 1368x768 at anything other than 60Hz either on DVI *or* analog VGA. It'll do higher refresh rates at lower resolutions, but not at native... perhaps it just needs more coaxing.

I want to play some more with it and see what I can get out of it, because I'm not entirely happy with just having 60Hz... but then I'd not be entirely happy with analog input either :)

10. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I was under the impression from various other posts that the 6 series Panasonics convert all rates above 60Hz back to 60Hz...

11. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, just to follow up on this - I've spent a while this evening playing with analog and digital modes. The result is, just as stoomonster says, my panel will cope with higher refresh rates on the analog port, but hates it on the digital one - so I think it's fair enough to blame the DVI board. Don't know why it didn't work for me initially.

I think I've got it calibrated about as close as it's ever going to go with pixel-accuracy. There's a definite loss of sharpness over the digital - but I can also see a tiny amount of ghosting. I guess partly that might be the cabling - the best VGA cable I had to hand was still a pretty cheap one.

I'm going to compare playback over a few days and see whether I prefer this picture or not (I miss my super-sharp pixels already, but I'm not being fair given the typical source material won't be at native resolution to start with :)