Any Up-comming AVRs in 2022 and ETA?

Nedy71

Standard Member
Any info (not rummors) anywhere about ANY up-comming AVRs and ETA for this Year (up to £3000)?
I will be upgrading this Year my aged RX-A3050 and I am searching for what could expect but I can not find any info about any 2022 expected releases. All web info is about last Year AVRs still waiting promiced updates and top of the line AVRs (Denon, Marantz) which are several Years old by now.
I like Yamaha but I will pass on RX-A8A. Do not like the look of it and the reviews are not great either.
I like Denon X8500H but paying that money for 3 Year old tech is NO.
Marantz SR8015 has all what I look for but yet again I would like to pay that money for 2022 AVR and not for last Year model.
So, do you know if Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Marantz will have new AVRs this Year or AVRs are not generaly updated on Yearly basis?
I rather stick with the brands listed here.

Damm you Yamaha :( making me spent so much time looking for a replacement instead of easy upgrade.

xSLYx

Any info (not rummors) anywhere about ANY up-comming AVRs and ETA for this Year (up to £3000)?
I will be upgrading this Year my aged RX-A3050 and I am searching for what could expect but I can not find any info about any 2022 expected releases. All web info is about last Year AVRs still waiting promiced updates and top of the line AVRs (Denon, Marantz) which are several Years old by now.
I like Yamaha but I will pass on RX-A8A. Do not like the look of it and the reviews are not great either.
I like Denon X8500H but paying that money for 3 Year old tech is NO.
Marantz SR8015 has all what I look for but yet again I would like to pay that money for 2022 AVR and not for last Year model.
So, do you know if Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo or Marantz will have new AVRs this Year or AVRs are not generaly updated on Yearly basis?
I rather stick with the brands listed here.

Damm you Yamaha :( making me spent so much time looking for a replacement instead of easy upgrade.
Are you looking at hdmi 2.1 with the reciever? Because besides that there's no new tech out and it's probably better getting a model 1-2 years old as they usually get cheaper, although that has changed recently with covid/supply issues.
And I'm not too sure about bad reviews for the Yamaha, the ones I've read have been pretty good, and after buying one I'd agree.
Another review for the a8 came out in the last few days for av nirvana which is also good.
There are the onkyo/pioneers which may be out in the uk this year with Dirac, but besides that I don't think any other company has really said anything yet.

Nedy71

Standard Member
Are you looking at hdmi 2.1 with the reciever? Because besides that there's no new tech out and it's probably better getting a model 1-2 years old as they usually get cheaper, although that has changed recently with covid/supply issues.
And I'm not too sure about bad reviews for the Yamaha, the ones I've read have been pretty good, and after buying one I'd agree.
Another review for the a8 came out in the last few days for av nirvana which is also good.
There are the onkyo/pioneers which may be out in the uk this year with Dirac, but besides that I don't think any other company has really said anything yet.
Althought HDMI 2.1 is not my primery as I do not Game I would like to have it if I pay that amount of money.
I am not looking for e cheap AVR. When any of my equipment comes to end of life for me I want to update to the most current available. My RX-A3050 serve me well but lack of DV, HDR10+ and HLG pass-through force me to upgrade and because of ARC the TV convert to DD+ and PCM which I do not like. Was thinking of using HDFury Intergal2 or Vertex to divert the sound to the AVR but too much cabling, swithching between HDMIs, etc so I decided insted to Upgrade to a newer AVR and plug everything in it as I have always been.
I do not like the new look of Yamaha as well as I am looking to up to 13 chanels (7.2.6) up from 7.2.4 and as new add on support for DTS-X Pro. That is where Marantz came in my eyesight but agan if I pay that full asking price I rather have AVR 2022 model.

xSLYx

Maybe it's worth a look at some processors, it might be a bit more expensive especially cos you have to get an amp anyway, but those amps can last 20 years+ and then only the processor would need changing and the quality should be a lot better.
A brand new model at the moment will doubtfully give you anything extra, although on the current 8015 there's only one hdmi 2.1 port which should change to three on the next one so there's that.
Also check out anthems, they use arc eq which is supposed to be very good and the avm70 processor has had excellent reviews.
Beyond that, it might be better to wait then and see what comes out.

Nedy71

Standard Member
Maybe it's worth a look at some processors, it might be a bit more expensive especially cos you have to get an amp anyway, but those amps can last 20 years+ and then only the processor would need changing and the quality should be a lot better.
A brand new model at the moment will doubtfully give you anything extra, although on the current 8015 there's only one hdmi 2.1 port which should change to three on the next one so there's that.
Also check out anthems, they use arc eq which is supposed to be very good and the avm70 processor has had excellent reviews.
Beyond that, it might be better to wait then and see what comes out.
Thanks!
I do have 2x Amps.
Yamaha MX-A5000 and Onkyo M-5010 I just never had a processor only and do not know anything about. I might try to Google for those you are advocating here.

dlaloum

My own shortlist was Denon X3700/X4700, Anthem (if within budget), and the newly released generation of Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer (same company, with badge engineered models and minor variations between the brands).

The latest upper-middle Onkyo family all come with DIRAC Live ... and based on my previous listening at various audio shows, I believe that alone would make a bigger difference than pretty much anything else. (full adjustability of Room Frequency Response curve)

The latest Denon's also have simiar levels of adjustability through the newly released Audyssey App... and with XT32 they should not be far off the mark.... but I have had XT32 for some years, and found it underwhelming (possibly due to the midrange "BBC dip" baked in, but with the app, you can remove the dip) - I would probably be happy with that option.

Only feature gap in the Onkyo models is no Auro 3d...

Also Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer have had lots of supply line issues, probably also due to the AKM fire - they may have had to redesign their circuit boards to switch DAC's - Denon had to do this after they released their X3700/X4700.... (early build ones have the AKM DAC's late build ones don't)

So the Onkyo's are currently unobtainium in Europe, and in short supply in North America.

Releases this year... Onkyo is expected to release their Flagship AVR's and Prepro's later this year... (given supply issues, there is substantial uncertainty as to when people will be able to get their hands on them..... 2023?)

Gossip/Rumour about the new models: DIRAC DLBC, Auro 3D - Dirac have also been hinting at something totally new - it was to have been released at CES but has been delayed - whatever it is, may make it onto the flagship models. (TX-RZ70, TX-RX90, PR-RZ90, and equivalents from Integra, and Pioneer.... Pioneer apparently won't have a prepro)

Typically (based on previous generations) - in addition to all the possible features and functions you can throw into an AVR - the 7 & 9 series usually have heavier duty power supplies, which may result in higher output under load... the 9 series usually get toroidal transformers additionally....and there are always claims of "better, selected components" - but normally the circuit boards are the same between them - and their replacement boards have the same part #'s.

For me the big step change over the last 10 years might be improved speaker and room EQ, along with improved upmixing/downmixing. (Harman's Logic7/16 has always been superb, but only available on very expensive components... JBL Synthesis )

dlaloum

P.S. the Arcam's also have Dirac Live ( at a notch upwards in price) - and are badge engineered to become JBL Synthesis - whereby they gain a few more features (including Logic16) and a further price increase....

Zarf2007

If you wanted to go the processor route, these Arcam‘s support all HDR formats, 4k upto 60hz and All major sound formats including Auro3d, Dolby atmos and DTS:x. There is also a hdmi 2.1 upgrade board coming.

they have eARC in the meantime should you want to use the latest game consoles directly connected to your tv and feedback HD audio. Dirac room correction is also included.

although it states refurbished other purchasers have said these are brand new with 5 year warranty. Bargain at £3k as mostly £4400 elsewhere. The sound signature for Arcam is just as musical, if not better, than Yamaha and will handle up to 16 channels.

Last edited:

Krobar

I think their might be new gear coming from Primare. Anthem and Arcam/JBL will be updating with a full set of HDMI 2.1 ports (As will Anthem). Not aware of much coming from the major brands, I suspect Denon/Marantz will offer more than one HDMI 2.1 port on the higher end stuff at some point soon. AV Gear is mostly in constraint and development delayed by covid so not as much happening as usual.

Nedy71

Standard Member
If you wanted to go the processor route, these Arcam‘s support all HDR formats, 4k upto 60hz and All major sound formats including Auro3d, Dolby atmos and DTS:x. There is also a hdmi 2.1 upgrade board coming.

they have eARC in the meantime should you want to use the latest game consoles directly connected to your tv and feedback HD audio. Dirac room correction is also included.

although it states refurbished other purchasers have said these are brand new with 5 year warranty. Bargain at £3k as mostly £4400 elsewhere. The sound signature for Arcam is just as musical, if not better, than Yamaha and will handle up to 16 channels.
Thank you but not sure about that one? For that price Refurb and without HDMI 2.1on-board. Despite I do not need one at the moment I think any device sold above £2000 mark MUST have fully working HDMI 2.1.
I am a movie man but not a Cinema fanatic.
Atmos and DTS-X (Pro) will do for me. Not into other audio realy and will never use or rearange my 7.2.6 set up.
Must support DV, HDR10+ and HLG pass-through and even procesing if posible as that is the future for the movies at homes.
Currently only Marantz SR8015 mark all the boxes for me in that regard and no other AVRs come out with same or more futures for around Marants price than will get that for Black Friday as by that time the price might come even further down making it a bargain.

dlaloum

If you don't need Auro3D - then the Onkyo's will probably tick all your boxes.

You didn't mention your preferences in terms of Room EQ and sub management?

Also what is your preference for upmixing? ie: what do you expect the system to do with older stereo material... designed for Dolby Surround -the original version - or PLII, and/or how it handles upmixing from relatively common 5.1 to 7.2.6...

Zarf2007

Thank you but not sure about that one? For that price Refurb and without HDMI 2.1on-board. Despite I do not need one at the moment I think any device sold above £2000 mark MUST have fully working HDMI 2.1.
I am a movie man but not a Cinema fanatic.
Atmos and DTS-X (Pro) will do for me. Not into other audio realy and will never use or rearange my 7.2.6 set up.
Must support DV, HDR10+ and HLG pass-through and even procesing if posible as that is the future for the movies at homes.
Currently only Marantz SR8015 mark all the boxes for me in that regard and no other AVRs come out with same or more futures for around Marants price than will get that for Black Friday as by that time the price might come even further down making it a bargain.
It says refurb but others have stated these are reboxed brand new by Arcam, as I said hdmi 2.1 option is coming and won’t be half arsed like the Denon/Marantz efforts, ie all ports will be 2.1 not just a single input. All the HDR and sound formats you mention are covered.

SnowJim

What did you decide? I'm in about the same spot.

My Yamaha RX-A3030 got 2 problems I have tried to solve for 2 years now :

Nintendo Switch
Connect : Nintendo > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV
This give us surround sound but audio and video drop out. Tried several different cables of bad and excellent(8K certified) quality and there might be some difference but all have some of the problem.

Connect : Nintendo > HDMI > TV > Optic/ARC > AVR, this will only result in 2.1 sound because Nintendo use a strange format that the TV(LG OLED65) do not support.

Nvidia Shield
Connect : Shield > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV results in no HDR at all.
Connect : Shield > HDMI > TV > Optic/ARC > AVR will work for a great while but from time to time there will be sound dropouts.

So I have now bought a Denon x2700h with 60 day return policy which have solved all the problems! But according to Denon they got a new line-up on its way, I suspect it will be in store November based on how Denon X2700h line-up was released.

They could not reveal anything about the new line-up but as many have said, there is no new tech right now and will probably not be for a while. What they can do is update their own software and technology like Audyssey, the design and the most obvious, more HDMI 1.2 ports.

Im however not sure I really need more HDMI 1.2 ports. We have 2 setups, the Denon is placed in the movie room where we only got a Nintendo Switch. The second setup is a gaming setup where we got Playstation, Nintendo and so on. And even if you would need more HDMI 1.2 ports you could always connect : Console > HDMI > TV > HDMI > AVR(eARC)

But even so, the X2700h 2022 replacement AVR will probably end up around the same price and it seems just as a bad timing to buy a new AVR now even if you don't need the extra ports or whatever comes. I usually have AVRs until it is impossible to solve the technical transition which can be as much as 10 years.

Nedy71

Standard Member
What did you decide? I'm in about the same spot.

My Yamaha RX-A3030 got 2 problems I have tried to solve for 2 years now :

Nintendo Switch
Connect : Nintendo > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV
This give us surround sound but audio and video drop out. Tried several different cables of bad and excellent(8K certified) quality and there might be some difference but all have some of the problem.

Connect : Nintendo > HDMI > TV > Optic/ARC > AVR, this will only result in 2.1 sound because Nintendo use a strange format that the TV(LG OLED65) do not support.

Nvidia Shield
Connect : Shield > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV results in no HDR at all.
Connect : Shield > HDMI > TV > Optic/ARC > AVR will work for a great while but from time to time there will be sound dropouts.

So I have now bought a Denon x2700h with 60 day return policy which have solved all the problems! But according to Denon they got a new line-up on its way, I suspect it will be in store November based on how Denon X2700h line-up was released.

They could not reveal anything about the new line-up but as many have said, there is no new tech right now and will probably not be for a while. What they can do is update their own software and technology like Audyssey, the design and the most obvious, more HDMI 1.2 ports.

Im however not sure I really need more HDMI 1.2 ports. We have 2 setups, the Denon is placed in the movie room where we only got a Nintendo Switch. The second setup is a gaming setup where we got Playstation, Nintendo and so on. And even if you would need more HDMI 1.2 ports you could always connect : Console > HDMI > TV > HDMI > AVR(eARC)

But even so, the X2700h 2022 replacement AVR will probably end up around the same price and it seems just as a bad timing to buy a new AVR now even if you don't need the extra ports or whatever comes. I usually have AVRs until it is impossible to solve the technical transition which can be as much as 10 years.
I am looking at Denon X8500HA / AVC-110 or Anthem MRX1140 being my favourite for now.
BUT in any case, I will purchase my new AVR or Processor around Black Friday and Christmas sales.
By that time, I hope Yamaha to produce 13-16 channel AVR or Processor so I could stay with Yamaha as I really like them and although I am NOT a fan of their new design the lack of 13-16 channel AVR / Processor pushing off.
I got a HD Fury Inegral 2 for HD Audio to the AVR and Zidoo Pro player for DV to my Pana JZ2000 directly so I am not in rush as of now but will definitely upgrade as soon as find good deal on the above mentioned or if Yanaha come with 13-16 channel device. I got couple of Amps so not sticking up only with Receivers and chasing Anthem AVM70 as well but as this is quite new on the marked I do not expect to get any suitable for me deal on that Processor.

Nedy71

Standard Member
Can not believe it is midd May already and still absolutely NO NEWS of any up-coming AVR this Year :(((
Is there a really no AV leakers or simply nothing coming out and 3 years old Denon X8500H will be top of the tops yet for another Year.
Surely if something in pipeline it would have shown some signs / leaks so far even if due at the end of the Year.

SnowJim

Can not believe it is midd May already and still absolutely NO NEWS of any up-coming AVR this Year :(((
Is there a really no AV leakers or simply nothing coming out and 3 years old Denon X8500H will be top of the tops yet for another Year.
Surely if something in pipeline it would have shown some signs / leaks so far even if due at the end of the Year.

I have wrote my thought about this here. I suspect that they might not be available until September 2022 but they might also just skip this year as well, there is not really much new if they did not update their own stuff.

dlaloum

If their new models are based on the AKM chipsets, then unlikely to be before very late 2022, or early 2023 - as AKM have stated that their new factory won't be mass producing until 3Q / 4Q...

So any designs based on those chips would be delayed until late this year as a minimum.

nekromantik

3700h is now £999 so slightly cheaper then it was early this year
not sure if it will drop below 899 until new models and even then the new models may cost more so no need to price drop the x700 series.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom