1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any UK users tried BulldogDSL?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by dr_mabuse, Jan 3, 2004.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi All - happy new Year!

I am interested in this deal from bulldogdsl for a 2mb down service that they are selling for only £29.99 inc VAT:

http://www.bulldogdsl.com/residential/products/primetime/p2000.asp

But I can't find out much about them, ie whether they are any good. I tried ISPReview.co.uk, and there were only a few responses, which were basically 0/10 or 10/10 - typical!

Anyone used them and could pass on comments?

Thanks in advance

dr_m

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've been with bulldog for about 4 months now and I must say I'm delighted with them. I've got the product you're looking at and regularly get speeds of about 230KB/sec. If you look at the bulldog board on www.adslguide.org.uk you'd never go near them but like all things in life people make a LOT more noise when they are unhappy than they do when things are going well.

HTH
    owain

PS if you're changing from another broadband ISP don't expect it to be a quick process, nothing to do with bulldog, more to do with BT's overly complicated procedure.

3. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    owain
    Thanks for replying! I did get the suspicion that the migration process would take ages - the way they casually mention 15-30 days is a giveaway!
    I must have my figures confused (happens a lot) but 230Kbps? The service is max rated at 2000kbps isn't it? (figures rounded). I have 512 BT at the mo and (under best conditions) that runs at around 400kbps downstream according to the speed testing site I last used. At work we have 1mb (1152kbps) and that tested out at around 900. Have I misread your figures?
    Also did you keep your ISP's mail services or go with the Bulldog mail add-on?
    Excuse my ignorance!

dr_m

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    There's probably some confusion here between 'bits' (b) and 'Bytes' (B). I reckon Owain means he gets around 230kBps which would equate to about 1840kbps (8 x 230 as there are 8 bits in a byte :) )

This has always been a common misconception and cause of much confusion since the 56k modem days. I have Nildram 2Mb ADSL service and have a d/l speed of 2272kbps (284kBps).

5. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Messiah
    That's what I suspected to be honest. Around 1850kbps sounds about right for a listed 2mb service.

dr_m

6. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been on Bulldog 2Mbit for 3-4 months. Recommended !!

Good customer service, and the line has never been down (touch wood :) )

Also, get around 200 KBytes/sec download, if the server can actually feed it that fast !

/BJ

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    yeah, that's what I said :) :

owain

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much does the 2Mb service cost?

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    got mine on offer in the summer for £29 pm inc vat

10. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    owain
    hope my confusion re:speeds didn't cause offense. It was me that was confused, not yourself!

If I may ask, how does the speed changeover from peak to off peak occur? Do you have to re-connect or is it seamless?

Do you use their ISP service as well or did you keep your old ISP and just migrate to their ADSL?

Thanks in advance

dr_m

11. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Don't worry doc, no offence taken at all :)

<whispers>don't tell anyone, but although I'm on their primetime product they don't actually throttle my bandwidth during the day, I get that speed around the clock</whispers> Not sure if it's just that there aren't many people on my exchange or it's a mistake or what, still I don't think I'll complain ;) From what I've heard from others who do get throttled during the day it's seamless, I don't think the reported speed in the network connnection properties dialogue even changes, you just can't get speeds above 512k.

TBH I just use hotmail for email, I only have the barebones from bulldog, I've never found this sort of paid for content that useful for me, but each to their own.

If you do decide to migrate it's useful registering with bt.com's website for your residential line, this will allow you to track the progress of the cease order. It meant that I could encourage the muppets at freeserve to do what I asked when they clearly weren't. Let me know if you need a link to the page, I'll dig it out.

HTH
    owain

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sorry guys. was getting confused between the two posts. My answer was to answer someone's query just got confused on whose query it was :) Anyway, I hope my answer cleared it up for someone :D

13. BOD

BOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been with BD primetime 2mb now since September 2003. Normally very good download speeds. Had to speak with their techies twice and on both occasions got excellent responses.

Download speeds vary from 150k to 236k. So I am well chuffed as its £29.99.

They use port throttling I think to slow down connections during the day. You don't get disconnected.

14. BOD

BOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been with BD primetime 2mb now since September 2003. Normally very good download speeds. Had to speak with their techies twice and on both occasions got excellent responses.

Download speeds vary from 150k to 236k. So I am well chuffed as its £29.99.

They use port throttling I think to slow down connections during the day. You don't get disconnected.

15. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    owain/BOD

Cheers for that guys - I think I'll give it a go.

dr_m