Any twitchers on here?

leo79

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a resident bird sharing my work barn and I wondered if anyone can help identify it.
I'm not clued up with birds at all, it looks like a bird of prey, fairly big, I only tend to see it swooping in or out early morning and evening.
I'm ripping out some old water tanks, one being directly below the bird box, I saw it leave this morning as I was coming up the drive so I thought I'd get that tank out while it not here. Anyway, I carefully glanced my phone over the hole to double check and noticed there's two eggs in there.
I've left it alone, left the tank in and cleared my steps and tools out if the way as I really don't won't to scare it away.
Just wondered if anyone could ID it from my rubbish photo.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20221219_133320985.jpg
    PXL_20221219_133320985.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20221219-133529.png
    Screenshot_20221219-133529.png
    754.4 KB · Views: 55
Red kite?

They have a 5' wing span so quite a sight when close up. The silhouette looks quite similar to the kites that hover around here

Last edited:
Thanks gents.
The forked tail definitely fits with a red kite. I need to set up camp one day and try to get some better photos.
What do you make of the eggs? (An omelette. Ba dum tshhh.) Isn't it a bit late/early for eggs? Or could they just be old ones?

They could be recent eggs. I think the mild weather has thrown some birds breeding patterns off a bit. There’s a pair of wagtails that nest above my office window at work who breed every spring, but this year they had a second brood in November. That’s the first time I’ve known them to reproduce so late in the year.

Red kites usually nest in trees but that does look like one in your photo...

More likely to be Barn Owl eggs in the barn, maybe eggs left over from this year's brood that didn't hatch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom