Any tricks to help contrast/blacks

jamski07

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a new 49” LG Nano81, and while generally I am happy with it, as expected, it does suffer in the black/contrast department. It’s viewed regularly at a 35-40 degree angle, so the IPS screen was the right choice in my opinion. In brighter scenes, the picture/colour is great. It’s taken me a while to get it to a point where I’m happy with it on HD content, but I’m there now, and 4K looks great.

Its just those dark scenes where it struggles. I’ve had to not use the local led dimming setting, I think that’s what it was called, as any bright areas on the dark screen caused great big bright areas from top to bottom. Removing that helped, but in turn has reduced the contrast.

Are there any known settings that help (think I have tried every combination available!) or any lighting tips within the room itself we could try to help?

Thanks in advance

Bias lighting behind the screen improves perceived contrast. 👍

Bias lighting behind the screen improves perceived contrast. 👍

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Are there specific kits/lights, anything sold specifically for this purpose?

Thanks. :)

There are plenty on Amazon. Some can be controlled with your smartphone via WiFi. They're strips of leds that you stick onto the back of the television and can produce multiple colours/effects. Best off getting one that puts out 6500k for tele viewing to improve the perceived contrast. Looks cool too!

There are plenty on Amazon. Some can be controlled with your smartphone via WiFi. They're strips of leds that you stick onto the back of the television and can produce multiple colours/effects. Best off getting one that puts out 6500k for tele viewing to improve the perceived contrast. Looks cool too!

Perfect, just reading about it now. :) Thanks very much.

No worries!

Lights ordered, and SkyQ UHD and Netflix 4k is on it's way on Friday hopefully! :D

Very nice! 👍

this is why I sold my 65 inch LG ips tv was to dim in the night I am going most likey get the 65 inch Sony XH900 black friday for the better black levels

The difference the lights have made is unreal. Blacks look deeper, contrast is higher. The whole thing is easier to take in and easier on the eyes, and it looks cool. All synced up with Alexa too. £25 very well spent.

Glad you got a result! 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom