Question Any Tips for Video8 (Sony Handycam v50)? Would love some advice on adding distortion too.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by fizdude, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fizdude

fizdude
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! I just bought myself a gorgeous Sony Handycam. I believe it is a v50, equipped with an assortment of lenses.

Firstly I'm trying to buy some tape for it. The format should be Video8 but I wondered if you could use hi8 tape in it as it's easier to get hold of?

Also is it possible to distort the colours and get some strange effects with the tape? I'd love to experiment with it.

Any comments or general tips with the camera at welcome :)

IMG_20170131_163216.jpg IMG_20170131_163327.jpg IMG_20170131_163307.jpg IMG_20170131_163248.jpg

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Welcome to the forum fizdude :hiya:

A video8 camcorder can use video8, Hi8 or even Digital8 tapes as they are all exactly the same shape & size case. Just be aware that the record/play times may be slightly different as IIRC the tape transports were at different speeds for the different formats.

As for colour distortion etc. I think you would need to get the video onto a PC to run through a video editor to add any special effects.

Mark.

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Get your tapes from a reputable supplier, as these are becoming somewhat rare, prices may increase . . . it's a lovely camcorder ( bar the Weight ), but as MarkE19 suggests, wait until the Edit before adding any distortion . . . Editing allows you to retain the Original, so you can try different effects on the same Media.
    However, "distortions" tend to be fads, er, IMHO; so initially you should get to know how to turn out quality footage; which can be used later-on.

It looks a fine / comprehensive Camcorder "kit" you've bought - Is it suited to UK playback, as I notice the strap is marked "USA" - ? FWIW, It seems odd to me, that a Novice ( yr handle) is buying such a Pro-Kit . . . .

Sadly tape-based camcorders are no-longer the latest thing - so enjoy while you can . . . meaning treat it with care, get a spare battery and enough tapes to suit. Curiously tape-users tend to use the tape once-only ... keeping it rather like "exposed film" - whereas Memory-cards tend to be reused... probably because they ( were) 10x the cost/minute.

+ However, the No1 big advantage of Memory-cards is Instant playback and you don't "overwrite" when you next press Record.
    Always record in the highest Quality - you can use any Editor to wreck the footage at will, later-on. Trying to "improve" bad footage is all but impossible.

Let us know how things work out - Watch some guides to Film-Making on YouTube.... and joining a local Film-Making club will assist greatly.