Any tilers here?

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've got a kitchen to tile and the guy I had booked sent me some pictures of his work.

This corner stood out to me.

IMG-20191011-WA0008.jpg

The little half inch tile in the corner looks awful, and it's a similar metro tile that I'm having fitted.

I asked him about it and he said that it can't be helped as he had to follow the pattern.

Sounds like poop to me. Am I being harsh? My instinct is that he's getting his excuses in. I would have thought that measure the sections out and then starting on a partial tile rather than a full one would solve the problem.
20191013_182519.jpg

PS if I am being harsh, no apologies to any tilers here. I may be totally getting the wrong end of it as I have no expertise in this area.

Last edited:
Poor. I’d want to see close ups too, in particular the trim work. Setting out is poor with the slither you’ve pointed out. Also the right hand side, I’d finish it flush with the worktop. Trim work doesn’t look right.

Yeah zooming in it doesn't look too neat around the sockets, and on the top row, heading right from the corner, tile 2 looks a little off.

I might be right in my first thought, cut him loose and find someone else.

All the best ones are booked up though.

Get on their Facebook business page and stalk them. That’s what I do. Feel free to PM me if you need any detective work doing

Get on their Facebook business page and stalk them. That’s what I do. Feel free to PM me if you need any detective work doing
I did look at their Facebook page, but that little half inch section of tile he left himself with just stood out.

And the fact that when I asked him to make sure it didn't happen on my job, he said there was no way to avoid it, rang a big alarm.

He was just lazy and started with a full tile against the architrave. If he centred that wall up then he would have even cuts either side with no slither

He was just lazy and started with a full tile against the architrave. If he centred that wall up then he would have even cuts either side with no slither

My first thought when looking at the photos.

Would expect to see that from a part time DIY'er and not from a pro.

That’s terrible. Not set out properly. I would have started in the middle of the window so that it finished with the same finish at the sides of the window. The trim is bad too. An adequate DIYer could do better.

I’m a DIY’er and surely the first thing you do is work out the tile runs. This is part of my kitchen I did a couple of years ago, I did find the exterior trim a pain with bevelled tiles but then again I’m not taking money off people to do it professionally. I wouldn’t have accepted a sliver myself so I certainly wouldn’t from a tradesman.

6F7C6DAE-A35E-4F51-BEE4-72F021832154.jpeg

Last edited:
I've pulled the plug on him.

Booked the guy I had initiallypreferred anyway. Not available til the end of November but he said he'll fit me in if he gets any cancellations.

Suppose the fact that he's booked up that far ahead is a good sign but this is a rental property so it's an extra few weeks that I can't advertise it.

Tried sending you a pm @Wahreo but it won't let me, dunno why.

I looked at my settings but can’t work out why.
I changed them a while ago to stop getting messages.

Edit: found it. Feel free to send a message if you still need help:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oh dear lord that looks DREADFUL! There are just so many fundamental errors in the way that is laid out. What the picture doesn't show is the right-hand window insert and I'll bet it looks nothing like the left-hand.

If the fitter had begun by marking dead centre of the window and working away from that point in both directions, the window area would have looked 10 times better, and I'm almost certain that the silly little slivers in the internal corner (and also incidentally by the leftmost cupboard) would have also vanished. Sure, the extreme left and right hand edges wouldn't be whole or half tiles, but there's always compromises somewhere in tiling.

I must admit I really would always avoid small tiles with large bevels especially where there are external corners on show. And if I HAD to use them, I'd certainly avoid contrasting grout which just accentuates the cut edges. I had to fit some recently in a utility room and opted to compound mitre the external edges rather than bury them in trim which worked out much better on the eye especially in a small space.

Proper tiling 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
@NorvernRob would you mind telling me how you fitted the lights? I'd like to be able to fit something similar but not sure how to go about it.

It’s pretty basic tbh. Solid LED strip lights clipped behind the lower trim of the units, with the power cables run behind the tiles and through a gap in the dot&dab behind, then down to a socket underneath. The controls are inside the one of the units.

I've got a kitchen to tile and the guy I had booked sent me some pictures of his work.

This corner stood out to me.

View attachment 1206835

The little half inch tile in the corner looks awful, and it's a similar metro tile that I'm having fitted.

I asked him about it and he said that it can't be helped as he had to follow the pattern.

Sounds like poop to me. Am I being harsh? My instinct is that he's getting his excuses in. I would have thought that measure the sections out and then starting on a partial tile rather than a full one would solve the problem.
View attachment 1206847

PS if I am being harsh, no apologies to any tilers here. I may be totally getting the wrong end of it as I have no expertise in this area.

It looks extremely amateurish to me. It's unacceptable. He obviously has no idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom