1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tilers/ builders on here??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by scooby do, Aug 29, 2005.

1. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Had a quote for instalation only of 18 SQM of tiles. A neighbour has a friend who gave me a quote of £15 SQM which I thought was very reasonable (Guy only lives 3 minutes walk away). He started the job last Monday. We changed the tiles from normal ceramic to glass square mosaic on a sheet and he advised it was going to cost a bit more. Anyway job was coming to the end when he told me it is now going to cost £740 almost 3 times the amount!!! Anyway fairplay they are more time consuming to cut but 3 times the price seems way to high.

Job was in a room with plasterboard walls (unplastered). Toilet & Sink was removed only the bath remained in the room with one window. What do you guys reckon. What is the average price? I think he done me a good deal on the £15 a SQM why so dear for mosaic.

Appreciate any responces

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Did it take him 3 times as long as he thought it would with the original tiles he quoted on?

Adrenochrome.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Were the original, ceramic, tiles that he quoted for mosaic?

I have heard that tilers hate doing mosaic tiles as they are far harder to get perfect straight lines with (even when they are attached to a sheet) and there's an awful lot more grouting to be done.

John

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    18 months ago i had an 8 x 8 bathroom tiled (floor and walls) for less than 900 quid (including tiles)

Edit: Mrs D has just told me i'm wrong - it was 900 quid all in. D'oh shows what i know :D

Gary

5. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ok Guys thanks helps a bit. Job was originally down for 3 to 4 days. But he was here all last week and had his daughter helping to cut tiles. But last week consisted of three half days and lastest he was here was 4 (starts at 9).

Gary was yours mosaic tiles?

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    No, big huge white tiles, some with a pattern on, and some dark stone floor tiles. i recommend the guy to a friend who said that he was a great tiler and not as expensive as some.

Gary

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Not what you want to hear , but you should have found out exactly how much a "bit more" was going to be , before he started . Your probably having to pay for his daughter too .

I can remember the look of relief on the guy that did my bathroom's face when I told him that we were having BIG white tiles with random coloured ones. Funny really , he had his wife helping him with the grouting . I can remember commenting how good a scrubber she was :rotfl:

Maybe you can ask him how a "bit more" came to be 3x's the amount , and that you consider a bit more to be 15 - 20% not 200% :eek:

Good luck
    John

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I run a refurb company and can confirm that mosiac tiles cost approx 3 times more than normal ceramic tiles. Especially glass tiles. If you cut them wrong the glass shows all the mistakes so care is needed. Pay the guy his cash. 15 per m for normal ceramic tiles is way to cheap to start off with. Normal price is around £30 per meter for ceramic tiles. £45 per meter is minimum for mosiac and glass mosiac would be more.

I hope this helps.

9. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Go on admit it you're the tiler :rotfl:

Adrenochrome.

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Whether £15 a sq metre is too cheap is not relevant here (no offence Razor). It's whether the extra work took 3 times as long as his original quote. If his quote was based on 3-4 days work and (for arguments sake) the actual time taken was double that amount, in having 2 people on the job, I would only pay him for double his original quote. To me it does sound like he may have underquoted the original job and is now trying to claw it back.

But it's a real issue when getting work done on a house. I'm in the process of getting my kitchen done and I want to get the spec and costs down tight as I'm on a fixed budget - so I don't want to give the builders any chance to bill me for any extras. I'm sure there will be something unforseen so I'm, aiming to have around 15% as a contingency.

So I'd haggle with the tiler or at least get him to justify the extra costs as compared to the original quote.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    :hiya:
    £45 per meter is the going rate for mosiac tiles. (Just as £15 is the going rate for dvd's or £1 is for 4 pints of milk) Time is not the issue. If the trades man is fast that is his benifit. Also you would not need to employ a second person to lay the ceramic tiles. Mosiac tiles need more care and skill in laying them rather than laying normal ceramics, glass is especially hard to cut without damaging. The surface has to be spot on flat and his application of adhesive has to be perfect something you dont need with ceramic tiles.

The average wage per day for a decent tiler is approx £120 a labourer is £60 per day bringing the cost upto £180 per day. Every one wants a top job for peanuts these days. If the work is good then pay the guy and thank him for his work. I know you would not like to do a weeks work and get knocked at the end of it. Thwe man is not robbing you but providing you with a good service.

:D

12. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    No arguments with your maths Razor.

But I do think it's encumbent upon any tradesman to let the customer know what they're letting themselves in for if they make changes to a project. Most customers have no idea what the extra work may involve - it may add 10% or it may add 200% to the final cost.

I run my own business doing graphic and web design. We usually work on a fixed priced and if a client wants to change the spec dramatically we always advise them of the impending costs. That way it prevents any unpleasantness on both sides. The customer is then free to go ahead with the changes should they so wish, knowing exactly what the extras are going to cost. I don't think the guy is being robbed, but I'd say it was poor business practice on the part of the tradesman involved not to let his customer know how much extra it would be. It's not as if it was an unusual request or something.

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Agreed, maybe the tradesman should of imformed the client that there will be a price increase, your right. But it should also be upto the client to ask what the price will be. The scope of works has changed. I would say it is 50/50 here on the blame. At the end of the day though as long as the tiler has done a good job, then this should be the most important issue. As there are allot of cowboys out there. Glass mosiacs are a pain in the behind to lay, but they do look good. :thumbsup:

14. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Agreed...

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Cool :smashin:

16. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Had a word this morning and we have come to an agreement. He originally thought he had quoted £18 sq yd. But my written quote was £15 sq m. So there is an error there anyway. Thanks for your comments but I still maintain that a bit more is not the difference between £270 & £720. The job has taken less than double the time so triple the price doesn't seem to add up to me. If it was me and I was looking at that price difference I would make it very clear to my client before going further. A change in spec is NOT the green light to charge what you want.

17. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Clients :suicide:

You should of asked what the price was. Especially when you saw another person on onsite. Extra people extra wages. When you go to a restraunt and you change a order or order more drinks or food whilst in the midst of eating do the staff present you with a price for each item or do they just bring the food/drink to your table.

The going rate for mosiac tiles is £45 per meter and up. Just as a ride in a limo costs more than a bus ride. Both get you to the same place in the same time. Would you of prefered him to take 30% longer than he has to justify his costs.
    At the end of the day we all go to work to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads. Would you like it if you got half pay because your boss didnt think you deserved it. Like I said before if he has done a good job and had 2 people onsite then pay the man and learn for next time. Why should the builder suffer because you didnt ask for the new price. The man has just done what you told him to do, just as a waiter would in a restraunt.

Its always after the work has been completed that silly issues like this arrise. Only this morning I had a call from 'The most demanding Clients ever' (we call them clients from hell) to say that the paint was bleeding dust. :suicide: This is probably to do with the fact that the invoice is due tomorrow.

I feel sorry for your tiler and daughter as he has taken time out of his life to do works in your property for the benifit of you and you alone and now you are disputing his costs. He could of stayed at home and saved himself the grief.

Sorry if you think this post is a bit full on but I have to deal with customers who dont have a clue about building works trying to reduce their costs and justify why to you. The main concern should be quality of work. If you have this then I would just pay the trades and be happy. After all it will probably still be there in 10 years time.

:D

18. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well we will have to agree to differ then. How comes I have phoned 2 tilers and they have quoted £25 per SQM and thats with me stressing glass mosaic. If these other tilers had said a price that was near my man's then I would be happy to pay no question asked. I still think £15 was way cheap and would expect the mosaic to be as cheap respectively (if you get my drift). You youself have said around £30 per SQM for normal tiles he charges £15 so half of what your company charges, so this guy is cheap and it just appears because off the "extra work" it has bumped the price up disproportionably working on your price of £45 at his cheap rates works out at £360 big difference to £720.

19. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One word....... DIY!

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Destroy It Yourself in my case :D

Gary

21. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DIY - no way.

In our last house I DIY'd (in GaryD's sense) our bathroom with nice clear light blue glass mosaics. It was a nightmare. Adhesive got everywhere on the front of tiles etc and took forever to get off. Then for the next 12 months the grout gradually turned orange.

In our new house we paid a man and have massive limestone tiles 600mm by 300mm.

22. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    If the guy has done a good job pay him ,all tradesmen have different prices ,and they also have different standards of work .

I agree with razor ,ive been a plumber for over 16 yrs mainly for companies but i have also done a few private jobs and folk always seem to want something for nothing :nono: ,when people change there mind it does actually mess jobs up both physically and mentally .

The missus works at our local hospital and begged me to go up to her mates to quote for a bathroom suite ,i couldnt be arsed but eventually gave in ,gave them the quote .
    After accepting the quote and agreeing on start date i was all set ,until i received a phone call saying they had found someone cheaper by £50 .

Anyway to cut a long story short 6 months later the ceiling collasped :rotfl: causing 800 pounds worth of damage ,and they actually had the cheek to ring up and ask if i would come and reinstall the bath .
    I took great delight in driving up to the house and telling them to naff off .

Instead of rogue traders they ought to do a program on rogue clueless customers . :mad:

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

I have been saying this for years. Spot on.