Any thoughts???

asidmax

Novice Member
My sister wants to buy a new lens (canon 20d)... After reading posts in this forum i have advised her to go for some canon L glass... does anyone own or have comments on this lens for doing fasion, portrait, and some wedding shots.. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

any advise will be welcomed :)

barongreenback

Novice Member
I own the 24-105 and I'm very pleased with it but if you are shooting weddings, especially indoors, she will probably find the 24-70 f/2.8 L is a better bet. The extra stop should also allow better creative depth of field if that's what she's looking for.

The 24-105 is a great walkabout lens providing you don't miss the wide end.

tomson

I agree - a 2.8 is more useful for weddings. With portraits too its nice to be able to shoot at a larger aperture than f4.

mr jones

Novice Member
maybe even look at some primes for really shallow dof portraits. the 85mm is a cracker in all its guises, as is the 50mm

asidmax

Novice Member
thanks for the advise guys.. will check out the 24-70 :thumbsup:

wabbitt

Novice Member
Hmmm.. I hate to be the one who doesn't like a 2.8 lens for weddings, but I find the DOF just too shallow to be useful really.

It becomes very difficult to try and get more than one person in focus. Great for a single person, but unfortunately in weddings there is normally more than one person in the frame who you want to be sharp.

I have a Sigma lens (17-85) which is f2.8 which I bought specifically for weddings, and to be honest I never use it.

Don't get me wrong for the extra stops though... very useful!

And for portraits it'll be good to for the more arty shots. Even then, at f2.8 you'll find that the DOF is so shallow that you might get the eyes in focus which is (normally) the ideal, and the nose and hair line will start to soften.

Personally, I find around f6 to f8 more useful, and at weddings ISO becomes my friend.

barongreenback

Novice Member
One bit of advice I've had - if your sister is using it for studio work, avoid the prime as every time you move you have to check your exposure. A zoom is much easier to work with and saves a huge amount of time.

tomson

wabbitt said:
Hmmm.. I hate to be the one who doesn't like a 2.8 lens for weddings, but I find the DOF just too shallow to be useful really.
You're right - You do have to be careful, but if you keep an eye on things and adjust your aperture according to what you're shooting then you should be fine. I usually shoot group shots at around f8 (if the light permits) but most of my candids (the bulk of what I shoot) are with a much larger aperture to help pic out and isolate the subject.

Don't think I own anything slower than an f2.8

asidmax

Novice Member
many thanks folks... much appreciated and has give her some food for thought :)

1 last thing.... why is the 24-70mm f/2.8 more expensive than the 24-105mm f/4 L IS which has image Stabilization?? :confused:

dood

You're paying for the wider aperture. To make good quality lenses that open wide costs lots. Also be warned, the 24-70 is heavy! Heavier than the 24-105. I recently bought the 24-70 and the 70-200 f/4L. Combined with a battery grip on the camera this is a strain on the neck! But you just have to get home and download the images to re-assure yourself that it's all worthwhile.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom