Any thoughts/prices on some old camera gear?

miniyazz

Established Member
Reaction score
I've dug out a box of some old camera gear. Amongst the dross were three flashes (a Prinz Jupiter 372 Solid State, a National PE-182 S, and a Pearson PF-4) and an Olympus Trip 35 (rangefinder-style). I'll put some pictures up later when I have time.

Anyway I've boldly tested the flashes on my 60D and two of them work as expected (no metering but functional) while the third works when I manually trigger it but not automatically with the camera.
As far as I can make out, the Olympus Trip 35 is functional, i.e. the shutter goes, but as I have no film this is hard to verify!

Any thoughts or any ideas about what these might be worth appreciated ;)

Pictures: here

Last edited:
Much as I expected then!
Thanks for the warning - I tested them already :rolleyes: and nothing blew up. I was quite impressed they still worked tbh. One of them even had some batteries in that worked! :confused:

Much as I expected then!
Thanks for the warning - I tested them already :rolleyes: and nothing blew up. I was quite impressed they still worked tbh. One of them even had some batteries in that worked! :confused:

Problem is that older non-digital flashes can have stupidly high trigger voltages that will fry a lot of DSLR's - expensive risk to take....

Apparently they introduced better voltage protection from about the 20D onwards.

Anyway, had it not worked out, home insurance would cover it at least :)

Apparently they introduced better voltage protection from about the 20D onwards.

Anyway, had it not worked out, home insurance would cover it at least :)

LOL - I could see a few Loss Adjusters having a issue of describing that as "Accidental Damage" ;) and of course you'd then suffer higher premiums for years and still have the excess to pay :lesson:

But as you'd already taken the risk and gotten away with it my comment was really aimed at other users/readers who might be tempted to try the same - with a potentially very costly outcome.... :)

Jim

TBH I agree with you! I forgot about the risks with old flashes and fortunately it worked out :-D

I'll check the trigger voltages when I get a minute if it doesn't need anything but a multimeter and see what I was playing with!

Sorted - the National PE-182S was 68V, the Prinz Jupiter 372 was 54V, and the Pearson PF-4 (most fancy) one was 4.7V. Incidentally, my 430EX was 4.4V. The 54V one wouldn't sync with the 60D - the hotshoe has no contacts, instead relying on a wire to plug into the camera (incompatible with the 60D) but I tried it out just now with the Olympus Trip 35 and it seems to function fine when the wire's connected.

They all run off 4xAA batteries, which is handy.

Pictures added to OP as well, if anyone wants a gander :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom